Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Van for 3-3.5k? T4, HiAce, Transit?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Looking for a van for 3-3.5k (depending on insurance cost). I know it’s not much, especially for a T4 but that’s all I’ve got…

I want a SWB as I’m shit at parking, and only have on-street parking. At the same time though, I want 2 rows of seats, with the 2nd being removable. OR 3 seats up front. If I have a 2nd row, I know there’s a likelihood that wheels will have to be removed, that’s cool. if i have a single row, I’d still like rear windows, cos it makes it easier to get across the seven bridge without paying 12 bloody quid.

Mechanically, as sound as possible, as I have no idea what goes on under the hood, and I don’t have masses of money to repair stuff. Perhaps unjustly, this is why I’m not keen on a renault/seat/vauxhall etc. not too fussed on having something particularly fast, as I drive slow anyway, but would like something decent on fuel – went out to the alps and back in a mates van – 1000 miles on 2.5 tanks in a van.

ideas? suggestions? autotrader/gumtree links (near brizzle) much appreciated

steveh

For that budget forget transporters, the residuals are too good and t4’s are all over 10 years old now and for that money you’d get a much newer van elsewhere without the vw scene tax.
    Transit would be my best and you could get in to a new shape on and fit a window you after for about 150quid to save the crossing costs. Even old shape crew cabs could be good.
    Hiace are pretty solid but rare and rear wheel drive, which tend to use more fuel and be less nice to drive.
    Mercedes vito would be in your budget too, rust is the big problem on them so be very careful when looking around them. I saw a mint looking 90k 05 for sale at 3500 the other day.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ah yes, did think vito’s then remembered the rust problem…

transits easy enough to insure on a non commercial policy (but with business use)?

surrealguy
    Free Member

Hungry, I have a T4 for sale that may fit your criteria. Drop an email to the address in my profile if you’d like to discuss further.

Cheers

Rscott
    Free Member

The Vito’s suffered from rust as did alot of mercadies including c and e class cars, as they had not used galvanised panels. They started galvanising them in 06 so if looking fora vito the 56 plates and upwards are normaly a good bet.

The new hyundia L100 or iload seem to be a very reasonableprice but there alittlemore expensive have seen some 09 plates and 10plates gofor £500 with warrenty left on them.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

surrealguy ygm

might look more into vitos then!

steveh

It doesn’t really matter which van you have if you want a private policy on a van I’ve never had any trouble getting one with whatever van.

Vitos have always been galvanised just not well enough. 58 plate on I’ve been told are the latest ones with best galvanising but it’s a bit early to be sure if it’s really solved the problem. Non white vans suffer less with rust too.

pictonroad

£4k would buy a high mileage T4 Caravelle 2.5tdi, look after it and that will be the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Something like this:

Auto Trader

chakaping
    Free Member

I got a vivaro this year and drove to alps. Its comfy to drive and you seem to get a lot more for your money than with VWs.

They seem to have a fairly good rep for reliability, I thought.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I’m just pretty crap at mechanical stuff so I’d like to avoid many mishaps !

porter_jamie

i used to be an engineer on transits at ford. i own a t4 and have owned a hiace.

if you want a reliable van buy the hiace.
    if you want an expensive van buy the t4
    if you want a reliable transit then i recommend an old shape fwd (2005) 100ps swb low roof 5 speed. the reason is no dmf, no common rail pump and it is cam chain. the only issue you might have is a spot of rust, but it will be better than a vito, and should be easily fixable come mot time.
    imo the transit drives much nicer than a t4, and is quieter too.

PePPeR

I’d recommend a Vivaro/Traffic, go for the later 2lt diesel and they are very good, our company run 14 of them with very few problems doing upto 50k miles a year.

Oh and a set of reversing sensors are £20 from eBay.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie – interesting! If I can find a low mileage traffic u might think about it I guess!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’d go Hiace all the way …just not so good as the others on fuel ……..I’ve a T5 …and although it’s nice it’s not as nice as a Hiace ..IMHO…….transit is the best one to drive though

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

What’s so good about the hiace?

olddog

Going this cheap, I would make sure ypu take someone along who understands the mechanics of vans. Some obvious signs of dying clucthes and service history needs a good look in case there is some expensive routine work needed eg timing belt.

I drive a Trafic – it was v cheap to buy but needed a new clutch (not cheap). Fine now, but basic. Done 135k

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Yeah that’ll be my plan, worth it even if it costs me a few cases of beer.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

What does the whole VAT thing mean – some adds say a price plus vat some say no vat…

PePPeR

Some vehicles have never had the vat added to the final cost, ie they’ve always been bought by vat registered companies.
    If you buy it as a non vat registered person you’ll have to pay the vat too.

Add the vat if needed and see it as the overall cost.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

So that’s if it says £3000 + vat. If it’s just got a price I assume that’s all I pay?

andrewh
    Free Member

if you want a reliable transit then i recommend an old shape fwd (2005) 100ps swb low roof 5 speed. the reason is no dmf, no common rail pump and it is cam chain. the only issue you might have is a spot of rust, but it will be better than a vito, and should be easily fixable come mot time.
    imo the transit drives much nicer than a t4, and is quieter too.

😀 Pretty much exactly what I’ve got (2004 version)
    Reliable. 90l on the clock, I’ve had it 11k/17months, total non-routine repair bill so far £14.99 for a bearing on the gear selector.
    Economical. 39-40mpg consistantly. I don’t drive in town much though.
    Plenty big enough for me, but maybe an LWB next time, more room is always better.
    Cheap insurance (£204, for 32yr old bloke with 7yrs NCD)
    Common so easy parts availbility, oil filters, wiper blades etc stocked everywhere.
    Problems? Rust! Transits leave the factory rusty and get worse from there. Check front ends of both rear wheel arches (there will be lots here) spare wheel carrier, underneath front passenger seat, the step by the drivers door, these will be the worst places.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had the older 01/02 transit in LWB FWD Med High, solid and reliable mostly though the usual things that go went – pumps etc. the only real nasty was the oil cooler which was about £300/go and I did 2 it was a common ford part at the time so managed to get a second hand one on of the times.

Wheel bearings are built into the discs I think (or one dies when you remove the other) so that was a bit pricey but having run 10+ year old cars for most of my life exactly what I expected overall. Van was £2.5k back then with 150,000 on it, sold it for £750 4 years later with over 220,000 miles on ebay – it went in under a minute I was pricing to sell so I could move to Oz.

Fuel was around 30-32mpg everywhere.

Insurance (as SteveH said) is as easy as a car – some car insurance companies don’t do vans which I guess is where people get so confused. I had mine as business use and was self employed (not trade though) and it was consistently less than the Octavia estate.

Extra windows and saving money on crossings? Never paid any extra really price for the tunnel was the same as the car. Didn’t do the Seven crossing but I hear thats random anyway.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just selling my 2007 transit because its starting to fail! In the last 6 months had had the dreaded clutch with dmf as mentioned above for 1100 quid then its just blown two injectors out the head. That’s cost £450 to get it running ok so far, but It could start to cost do its going!
    My old man bought a vivaro about a year ago and on an 08 plate. Recall it being very cheap for what it is and it hasn’t missed a beat yet.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

The traffic/vivaro/primastar are fantastic to drive but are absolutely horrific when it comes to reliability. Theres a long list of catastrophic failures only a Google search away. Hiaces on the other hand will do 250,000 + miles with no problems but look and feel like something from soviet Russia. T4’s are “fashionable” so over priced. It depends what you want from a van but I wouldn’t touch a traffic with a barge pole.

steveh

The only common problems I know of with vivaro/trafic are gearbox issues and these are less of a problem with the newer engines but still not as good as they should be. Clutch cylinders can be a problem too but not hugely common. Gearbox rebuild and recon cost me 750 when mine went so it’s not silly expensive.
    Any other failures they have are no different to other vans flywheels etc. I’ve had 3 over the years and am not aware of any other common problems.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Trafic’s also have a habit of destroying turbo’s (as with a lot of diesels )… There other common problem is the wiring loom as it goes through the bodywork …it’s too tight and rubs through ..causing all sorts of problems ..sensors going everywhere ..ecu’s blowing etc ..also lots of reports of steering pumps going on a regular basis..but this seems to have been rectified from 07 onwards as have the gearbox woes

Also don’t discount the Citroen dispatch ….the 2.0 hdi and the older 1.9turbo

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

So shot every van on the market has been recommended 😉 think transits chiming out top at the mo, but mebbe younger vivaro etc

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Go on get the vivaro. I dare’s ya.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Trafic/Vivaro/Primstar…all the same van…ticking time-bombs 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hungry monkey – Member
    So shot every van on the market has been recommended think transits chiming out top at the mo, but mebbe younger vivaro etc

To be honest your paying £3.5k for a van, the reliability thing is probably on par across the range, your looking at things that have had a good life. Pick which has least rust and the right size 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

^^ what Mike said +1
    Although the Hiace is still prob a safe bet

RobHilton
    Free Member

Ford Galaxy (only cos I’ve got one, of course).

No, not a van – a massive car 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

As a mate said today – reliably is as much a function of the previous owner than the make of the van. Will see what I can find with minimal rust and mills then I reckon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Service history , typical journeys – does it drive to site in am and home at night or does it do multi drop deliverys – which yould you rather have….

Has it towed a heavy trailer all its life ?

Miles wouldnt worry me.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

The Hiace’s reliability is legendary. Lets face its why else would you buy one.

Have you ever seen a rusty Hiace? Virtually every one on the road is hanging and thats for good reason. They go on and on and on. Remember the top gear Hilux. The Hiace is of the same built to last Toyota era and shares the same engine.

I just wish I could find a decent car to match my one’s reliability.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

A lot of chat here about T4’s being expensive. I bought my 1.9td on a 51 plate, 80k, fully converted for 6k back in 2008. It’s now done over 125k and the only thing I’ve replaced is front discs and pads and new throttle cable. Although I did treat it to a respray this year. You’ve just got to look around and keep on eye on ex fleet vehicles at auctions-I eventually flew down to Newquay to pick mine up, and glad I did.

chakaping
    Free Member

Another thing Tom, the prices can be quite inflated at dealers. And there are a lot less private sales than with cars.

I was lucky enough to find a nice crew cab Vivaro being sold by a local business and got it direct. Save £1.5k or £2k on the average price asked on Autotrader.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A lot of chat here about T4’s being expensive

I discounted them mostly due to the size, fine for a van to put a bike in but tight for much else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“1.9td on a 51 plate, 80k, fully converted for 6k back in 2008.”

still sounds like a lot of cash to me for what was an old van.

my mates just got a caddy combi – has as much usable space once the seats folded forward as his old T4 did – great thing about t4s is gullible people still pay top doller even when its gubbed as ebay showed him 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Van for 3-3.5k? T4, HiAce, Transit?’ is closed to new replies.