• This topic has 92 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Van buying, sensible van or daft JDM option?
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2WD 3.5 Highway Star…

Thanks for all that, plenty of useful info in there.

Had a look at the Honda and Toyota alternatives but still think the Elgrand is probably the one I’d go for mostly due to it being the most bonkers looking and it being rwd or switchable 4×4 rather than fwd – yeah, I know it’s a 2000kg van with an auto box but still.

Off to look at some at the weekend and will see if an XL Megatower will slot in without removing anything from the van or bike.

doomanic

Lots of different wacky car/van thingies being posted here, which, if any, have full sets of rear seats that fold into the floor?

LAT

Mitsubishi Delica could be worth a look. A friend of mine has one. It is good on unmade and very uneven roads and off road. It also seems to be very reliable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamesfts
    Free Member

Lots of different wacky car/van thingies being posted here, which, if any, have full sets of rear seats that fold into the floor?

Some Hondas seem to fold into the floor, Nissans and Toyotas fold up and against the side.

It is good on unmade and very uneven roads and off road. It also seems to be very reliable.

Luckily we have a pickup for that so the van will probably end up on stupid wheels and either lowered or air ride.

couchy
    Free Member

I’ve had our 03 3.5 elgrand for 5 years now, done over 45k miles in it and it’s just clocked 110k miles. Very reliable and very adaptable. Fuel average is low 20’s. Paid £5k and it’s depreciated very little in the 5 years which helps offset the fuel. Lots more knowledge and support for them now. Highly recommended as a comfy fast bus, plus it’s great fun wasting slow wheezy T5’s from the lights, although it’s not as good as a T5 at impressing middle aged men in animal t shirts 😁

simon_g

Any photos of a nice long modern 29er in one of the Stepwagons or Nissan Serenas?

How practical is a Stepwagon?

A long 29er might just squeeze in diagonally or with a bit of bar-turning.

I worked out how to unbolt the rear seats for the camping trip we’re on now, easy once you know where the two 14mm bolts are and frees up loads of room. Reckon I can get them in and out in about 5 mins now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mercedes citan XLWB, I’d imagine Kangoo maxi too, as they’re pretty much the same.

AlasdairMc

Has anyone got an Elgrand camper? I’m
    looking at them as an option for me, but inside bike storage is a must, both when travelling and parking. Can it be done easily and safely?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Has anyone got an Elgrand camper? I’m
    looking at them as an option for me, but inside bike storage is a must, both when travelling and parking. Can it be done easily and safely?

If only 2 people traveling you have a small chance but it’s narrowness coupled with a camper facility’s will really count against you especially to do it without damaging the interior

Even in the larger T5 variant you’ll struggle

AlasdairMc

Thanks. I was considering front wheel off when travelling, possibly with a floor mount for the fork. Parked up, slung across the front seats. The one I’m looking at has a pop top (part of a standard build) so that could possibly be my parking garage too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Even in the larger T5 variant you’ll struggle

I can get 2 bikes inside my camper converted T5 (full run of units and pull out bed) whilst travelling and sleeping. Bit of a squeeze but its possible without popping the roof. With the roof up its easy.

sparksmcguff

How’s everyone getting bikes in a t5 camper with only front wheels off? At the risk of derailing the thread I can get a 1 full sus broken down into my California under the rear bed bit with the seat pulled well forward. I’m certainly not risking it out of a bag in the main cabin even if it would fit, which it doesn’t. I can get a (clean) road bike in the main cabin with the wheels on if I need a secure overnight. But if I’m using the van to stay in any bike lives under the bed/ seat in a bag with wheels off.

dai1983
    Free Member

Down at the coast today and its rammed full of vw t5s like there’s a tradesman convention going on. A black Elgrand with a chrome gril turned up looking like Darth Vader owns it.

If you can afford the fuel get an elgrand.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I can get 2 bikes inside my camper converted T5 (full run of units and pull out bed) whilst travelling and sleeping. B

Where ? Every one I’ve seen with the bed out has about 6 inches interior space. But I was never any good at Tetris.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Managed Toby be a look at a few Elgrands – think we could be onto a winner.

A bit less space than a builders van but way nicer to drive and live with. Think I can fit my bike in with wheels on and and all the seats in. Also possibly an option of building a sliding rack using the rails for the middle seats – needs looking into.

Hopefully update next week if a deal can be struck on a nice black 3.5 Highway Star over the weekend.

grum
    Free Member

I had a look at an Elgrand it was great, menus and voice controls still in Japanese. ‘Sat nav’ running off a disc with sensors on the wheels to measure direction/distance, Japan only.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Where ? Every one I’ve seen with the bed out has about 6 inches interior space. But I was never any good at Tetris.

Wheels off them both. Front seats swivelled around, one frame over the front seats, one between the front seats and wheels under the bed/behind the seats between the seat back and the dashboard. Allows the bed to be pulled out and used still. Not ideal but for a night or two it works. Much better when I’m solo – gives a bit more room.

Otherwise with the roof popped, 2 can sleep up there and the bikes (both with front wheels removed and on my bodged together front wheel rack thing that fits to the rock and roll bed) stay downstairs. Again, its not perfect but its doable.

tjagain

I have driven an i800 as a hire vehicle – hateful thing. soft wallowy undergeared with a awful auto box and thisty as anything it was a few years ago

I have also hired an Elgrand camper – similar issues to the i800 and while I could get a bike in it no one could sit in the back with a bike in it. Nice conversion but too compromised for me

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Love the Elgrand, there was a club stand with around 6-7 on display at last weekends Go Japan show at Brands Hatch. The MPG is savage though, fuel prices and tax on vehicles that consume that much are only going to get worse, any big road trip will cost twice as much as a modern diesel unit in a Transit/VW etc.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I had a look at an Elgrand it was great, menus and voice controls still in Japanese.

This one has a UK stereo with sat nav etc that links to both screens, menus and buttons still all in Japanese though – there’s a company that can convert it all to UK spec or get handy with Google translate.

I have also hired an Elgrand camper – similar issues to the i800

Should be able to fit 2 adults plus bikes (wheels on) easily without removing anything which is my only requirement. MPG is similar or better than my current car, suspension was surprisingly good – suspect it may not be stock as handles better than others I’ve driven. Auto box is grim but no worse than any other auto, sort of suits the big lazy barge but would prefer manual if it was available.

tjagain

Should be able to fit 2 adults plus bikes (wheels on) easily without removing anything which is my only requirement.

Not a chance with the camper conversion I had. Maybe with a different layout.

The autobox was like something from the 70s. 3speed plus overdrive. Loads worse than modern autos I have driven and even in overdrive you felt the need for another gear

jamesfts
    Free Member

Not a chance with the camper conversion I had. Maybe with a different layout.

Have no interest in converting it to a camper so shouldn’t be an issue. Rear row can be folded away, middle row all spit/rotate and centre seat can slide between front seats giving a 2m long load space which is big enough for an XL 29er with the wheels on.

Elgrand

The autobox was like something from the 70s. 3speed plus overdrive. Loads worse than modern autos I have driven and even in overdrive you felt the need for another gear

Sounds like you might have borrowed the earlier E50 model then, the E51 has a proper 5 speed auto box – does the job fine.

couchy
    Free Member

Our 03 elgrand has a 5 speed auto and it works fine. With 3rd row of seats up at the sides I can get 4 people and 2 full size bikes wheels on in or 4 bikes front wheels out. Road tax is import tax so £240 as it isn’t done on emissions. Mpg 20-27 depending. Depreciation has been zero in 5 years. We also have a transit custom that averages 33mpg. Over 12k miles a year the elgrand costs £11 a week more in fuel than the transit custom. The transit depreciates more than that and costs more to maintain, there’s also the chance of problems being a modern diesel and of course the transit costs more. But if you worry about mpg instead of depreciation an elgrand isn’t for you. The middle seats spin to make a lounge and use as a day van, a camp bed and portable stove make it a camper. For £5k ish there’s no better vehicle.

jamesfts
    Free Member

So this happened…

It’s bloody great, just need to figure out a good way of transporting bikes as it’s a bit too nice to just chuck them in as planned.

Elgrand

nickewen
    Free Member

That is an absolutely tremendous vehicle! Looks very clean 👌

mikertroid
    Free Member

Awesome!!

dai1983
    Free Member

Good skills! Piece of wood wigb a front axle stand attached to it and a rubber mat?

My daily car has evidence of a knackered head gasket so it’s given me the excuse to seriously look myself.

At the moment I think an RK model Stepwagon will do. Not big as or as luxurious as an Elgrand but I’m comparing it to VW Caddy Maxis etc. Against those it’s stacks up well as it’s wider, taller, has more toys and usable at car speed limits. Also have no plans on converting it and will fit a bike with the single middle seat folded.

Did browse Transporters but they are too much money. Do fancy a 3.5 Gr2fe engined alphard tho….

andrewh
    Free Member

just need to figure out a good way of transporting bikes as it’s a bit too nice to just chuck them in as planned.

doomanic

That’s proper pimp! I wouldn’t want to fill it with grubby bikes either!

doomanic

@andrewh just remember to have the Benny Hill Theme tune playing while you fight to fit it.

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Looks superb

Northwind

GRILL

doomanic

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the rear row of seats completely?

simon_g

Really nice, congrats. I think those facelift E51s are best looking of the lot.

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the rear row of seats completely?

In my Stepwgn it’s two bolts for each hidden behind some trim. 5 mins to take out or put in. I only leave them in because they take up garage space otherwise!

Kamakazie

On the newer Stepwgns the rear seats fold into the floor so only need to remove them if you need the underfloor space as well.

wayniac
    Free Member

Removing the rear seats completely is a piece of cake.

Lift off the piece of trim between theseat and the vehicle side. Undo the 2 nuts and the seat will lift out as long as you have released the feet from the floor rail. There is also a bolt to remove for the seatbelt.

You will be left with the sliding rail but I find it useful for bungees to keep bikes secure. You can remove the sliding rail but it then requires the riskier job of removing the large interior trim piece.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Turns out an XL Megatower will fit (wheels on) with the rear seats folded up and centre row middle seat pushed forward which is ideal as it means no faffing around with the kids seats. That being said, I wouldn’t like to do it with a muddy bike.

Good skills! Piece of wood wigb a front axle stand attached to it and a rubber mat?

Just bought a bunch of ply and some of these Blok Products fork mounts so hopefully have some sort of rack up and running in time for Caersws at the weekend. Will report back…

Did browse Transporters but they are too much money. Do fancy a 3.5 Gr2fe engined alphard tho….

I looked at most things, decided against the Alphard on looks and being FWD. Anything with a VW badge seemed expensive for what they are, Vito was probably the only other thing in the running.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Rack

Got the bike rack fitted, it’s technically for a Caddy from the guys at Blokpod. Will take my XL Megatower straight down the middle or 2 bikes if I move a seat forward.

Just need to get a load liner made up to keep things clean now.

Northwind

Is it just me or have elgrand prices plummeted? I’ve got a few wee classifieds saved searches for petrol E51s and there seems to be a lot more cheaper ones around than there were a couple of years ago. Makes me want to clear a space on the drive…

peekay

there seems to be a lot more cheaper ones around than there were a couple of years ago.

They are now a couple of years older.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Van buying, sensible van or daft JDM option?’ is closed to new replies.