Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • valuing 26″ wheel parts
  • tjagain

How on earth do you do this? Since getting my new bike I have a large pile of redundant 26″ wheel parts that a pal wants. Top end rockshox reba with TI internals that was £1000 new, I paid £250 for it secondhand 10 years ago. Perfect condition. Also a set of hope hoops with pro 2 hubs and decent rims – again bought second hand by me more than a decade ago. I get his older parts in exchange ( to build up a bike to give to charity) – so a cheap manitou fork and wheels with deore hubs and no name rims

I checked ebay and prices vary hugely from £50 to 150 for a lower range fork and from £25 to 100 for similar wheels.

Swap the parts and £100 cash to me? £200? Tell him just to make a charity donation?

What would you do?

Ta.

Bruce

I would give them to your friend and suggest a modest charity donation.
    It was also depend on your financial circumstances.

tjagain

Me? Income poor / capital rich

I have no use for these parts now.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Gear of that vintage, to a ‘pal’, I’d just hand over, maybe ask for a bag of cans/ charity donation

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you need the cash then maybe 50 in your favour. If you REALLY need the cash eBay and buy the other bits off him/her

MoreCashThanDash

If your mate can use them, let him have them.

Quality 26″ parts are great for building lightweight kids bikes, or otherwise petite riders.

tjagain

its upgrading his boardman ! His only MTB. I already gave him Julies old bike ( worth half of nothing) for his daughter

he wanted to give me £250!

Ta tho chaps. That goes with my thinking but I wasn’t sure i was not ripping myself off

kayla1
    Free Member

I’d just give them to him. If he wants to give you something maybe ask him to pay for a burger + beer night out or something like that?

cookeaa

If it would be doing nothing but cluttering/taking up space and you don’t need the money, just hand it over with a smile and tell them they’re doing you a favour.

If you want some money for your castoffs put them on eBay…

My 26er wheels and tyres have ended up on my kids bikes, when they come to the end of their use it’s either going to their cousin, or on eBay. There’s no point hanging on to this stuff anymore IMO…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Since you are going to use his old parts on another bike I can assume that there is nothing wrong with those bits? So essentially you’d be just upgrading his bike ? I’d say market value minus the value of his bits. Your question was how to value these bits especially as things seem so variable, then I’d settle on what you’d be happy taking, it’s better both of you feel that you’ve got a fair deal and it’s not something that will be at the back of your mind. If his bike was a wreck and you were helping out then a bit of charity is fair enough, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

keithb

Er.. those of us still riding 26ers as our main bikes may be interested? Decent forks are worth hoarding as they seem few and far between these days.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a fair deal for both sides. Way less than the eBay price as you’ll saves fees, postage and hassle but not free (unless it really was of no value to me or the mate was struggling). I still run 26″ on a couple of bikes so keep a few spares. I reckon Thats around £200+ on eBay so maybe half that. He’ll be happy if he’s offered £250 and you can buy something you want. I quite like selling old bits and buying new(er) bits with the money.

tjagain

keith – thats my pal. I am upgrading his only MTB. He didn’t even realise 26″ wheels are no longer common on MTBs

I still get the parts from his bike to build up a bike for the charity ( which I think will be used as a utility bike so basic parts are fine for that purpose)

Also to add to the mix he and his wife have been very good to me this last year

dyna-ti

I doubt you’ll ever get a set of pro 2 wheels for 25 quid, they usually go for about 150, and probably not far off that for the forks. So say 300 all in.

So split the difference and ask £150 from him, and i take it you’ll be doing all the work too. And unless a charity bike is something you really need to build, have him keep the spares in case he ever needs them.

finbar
    Free Member

I’m in the £125-£150 ballpark too.

A friend of mine very kindly gave me an old 90s MTB that had some sentimental value to him a few years ago, but now I don’t need it anymore and I feel like can’t get rid of the %&£$ing thing 😀 ! Wish I’d paid him for it and then I wouldn’t feel bad about offloading it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Wish I’d paid him for it and then I wouldn’t feel bad about offloading it.

Totally get this. Selling it cheap, even if it’s way under value means it’s a done deal. No need to think they owe you something, or vice versa, even if that isn’t the intention.

Maybe if you do want to give it away then it could be as a thank you gift for their recent support. That could close the matter too.

tomparkin

Wheels are quite variable for an unfashionable wheel-size, but the Pro 2 hubs have some value still for sure. I keep an eye out for a 26er rear wheel and rear wheels with Hope hubs will sell for £100+ easily enough.

Forks are possibly quite valuable as they’re less easy to get hold of these days, but for something 10+ years old I’d imagine maybe £150 (based on my own 2012 26er REBAs :-).

So IMO market value is maybe £250-300, something of that order.

How you work that out with your mate is up to you, but I would echo what others have said about payment of some kind being “a done deal”.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.