Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Valley of Stone cycleway
  • ratherbeintobago

Does anyone know if this is complete? Runs from Healey Dell to Rawtenstall and was meant to open ‘in 2019’. I know they’ve done the bottom end…

stumpyjon

The section through the tunnels in Waterfoot is now all open, rode through today. Not sure where the route goes through Bacup from the top of New Line.

Map here http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/806068/Valley-of-Stone-.pdf but it’s not easy to follow.

ratherbeintobago

Aye, I’ve seen the map. Might have to go on a recce at some point.

stumpyjon

Just don’t get lost in the depths of Bacup!

ratherbeintobago

Good lord no.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Be careful on the bit through Stacksteads, few local reports in the last few months of bikes taken off people. Lee Quarry is also one of the areas targeted for bike muggings.

As I understand it the cycleway gets you into Stubylee Park, then on to the bridleway that runs at the bottom of Lee Quarry, you then drop into Stacksteads and decide if you are going to go through the tunnels. You can get behind the shops in Waterfoot and after a quick dash on the main road go through the colour factory to get back on to the cycle route into Rawtenstall just before Tesco

Just looked at the map, I doubt section 8 and 9 exist atm

Flaperon

I recall that on the bits through Waterfoot that you’ll need your dog shit radar on maximum alert.

slackboy

Went along it last week as far as stublee, section 8&9 are in place I think.

Section 3/4 is on road from colour factory to water foot mini roundabout. Tunnels are good and well lit.

Section 1 is worst as it’s just on the bacup road past Ride On and the health centre.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Valley of Stone cycleway’ is closed to new replies.