Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Valentine’s Day meal out
  • sl2000

We got turned away from Pizza Express at 5.30pm this evening: it was fully booked for valentine’s day! Hadn’t crossed my mind that that was a romantic destination.

scotroutes

Isn’t it also half term?

monkeyboyjc

Pizza Express – easy family meal out if you’ve young kids & slightly more romantic than a McDonald’s.

frankconway

I never equated pizza express – or any other pizza emporium – with St Valentine or romance.

sl2000

Isn’t it also half term

It is – and that’s why we were there. But this particular pizza express is never full. Maitre d’ claimed it was due to valentine’s day.

fasthaggis

Pizza Express – easy family meal out if you’ve young kids & slightly more romantic than a McDonald’s.

and you get a Maitre d’ 😉

Viva La Romance

martinhutch

It’s a shame, I find Pizza Express has the best sommeliers in the business too. You can sometimes bump into royalty there too, I’ve heard.

There’s always Pizza Hut, or Frankie and Bennie’s if you want to stay classy, I suppose.

theotherjonv

My son’s now split up with his girlfriend. He’s nearly 16, but they used to go out to eat sometimes, it was nice for them, and they felt grown up. If they’d been together, Pizza Express, F&B, Nandos, Pizza Hut……could all have been options for today

Not everyone is a middle aged middle class romantic, some have simpler tastes and budgets. Don’t be too sneering.

Cougar

Maybe they had a Prince visiting?

frankconway

Couple of things lacking at Pizza Express – washroom attendant and shoe shine boy.
    I believe they now have water sommeliers.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^ theotherjohnv. Agreed – think about different people at different stages of their lives and stop trying to be above them.

frankconway

johns – stop being precious, it’s a laugh.

mandog

Were you in Woking?

reeksy

@sl2000 i feel you’ve really left us dangling here. The story needs a conclusion.

What happened next?

1. Kebab shop
    2. The Ritz
    3. Back home for Brains Faggots, boil in the bag fish, SMASH and Tizer

theotherjonv

johns – stop being precious, it’s a laugh.

It’s not, it’s snobbery. ‘Bantz’ is not a defence any longer, whether at class, sex, race……..

MoreCashThanDash

My son’s now split up with his girlfriend. He’s nearly 16, but they used to go out to eat sometimes, it was nice for them, and they felt grown up. If they’d been together, Pizza Express, F&B, Nandos, Pizza Hut……could all have been options for today

Not everyone is a middle aged middle class romantic, some have simpler tastes and budgets. Don’t be too sneering.

All of this, and I’m surprised someone criticised it.

binners

Maitre d’ claimed it was due to valentine’s day

It wasn’t this fella, was it?

MrPottatoHead

Also, it’s a Tesco club card partner which makes it superb value if we have vouchers to spend.

matt_outandabout

+1 on Tesco points.

Mrs_oab and I don’t “do” valentine’s, but it is sweet and for many it is a “thing”. Pizza Express is also good, so half term + valentines would be really busy.

jon1973
    Free Member

Steak meal and a bottle of wine. £15 meal deal from Sainsbury’s. It’s nice to do something special. Special just means different things to different people.

v7fmp

Pizza Express did an offer a while ago, buy a bottle of prosecco and get unlimited dough balls.

I foolishly assumed a bottle would be £6 like in tesco, turned out to be £25, so i had to get my monies worth out of the dough balls.

I called it quits just shy of 60. Which equated to something like £108 worth. I was happy. And full of dough.

My missus enjoyed the few she had too.

Nothing to do with Feb 14th, but i can think of far far worse places to eat than your reliable old pizza express.

boblo
    Free Member

@v7fmp Ya tight sod. It’d be really funny if you couldn’t drink the fizz because you were full of ‘free’ dough 🙂

I think the joke was about Pizza Express having a Maitre d’ rather than being snobby per se. Everything has its place from 3* to Mcvomit burgers, it just depends on the audience/occasion.

theotherjonv

No, I’m pretty sure it was snobbery.

There’s always Pizza Hut, or Frankie and Bennie’s if you want to stay classy, I suppose.

backed up by the ‘stop being precious’ when called up on it.

A proportion of the population struggle to eat, let alone eat out. On a special occasion, such as a birthday or valentines day, a trip to a budget chain, with or without vouchers, is a treat. Or maybe tastes aren’t as refined, who cares. It’s the occasion and who you’re with, surely?

If you went out with someone special yesterday, I hope you enjoyed being with them even if some middle class people were staring incredulously through the window at you.

DickBarton

any other pizza emporium – with St Valentine or romance.

– An Italian saint and not an obvious link to pizza??? 😉

sockpuppet

just shy of 60. Which equated to something like £108 worth. I was happy. And full of dough.

It’s *possible* that the 60 dough balls might have cost the kitchen a little less than £108 to provide! 😉

But you were happy, which is what it’s all about!

Mmmmm… dough balls!

sl2000

No, I’m pretty sure it was snobbery.

It was. I’m sorry. I was trying to be funny but on reflection agree that I was, as the two Johns pointed out, sneering and inconsiderate. I try not to be so thanks for picking me up on it.

What happened next?

Ended up in pizza hut which wasn’t fully booked (although I’m too scared to speculate as to why).

MoreCashThanDash

If it makes you all feel better, my Pot Noodle in between the gymnastics taxi run and a quick road ride was delicious and lovingly prepared by MrsMC, in between her run and the return gymnastics taxi….

theotherjonv

lucky sod, at least it was freshly prepared. I got a hand dismissively waved at the fridge and heat your own leftovers from last night.

Oh, to have been cooked a Pot Noodle…..

binners

I’m just in awe of the 60 dough balls consumption

I now have something to aim for in life

DickBarton

I got a hand dismissively waved at the fridge and heat your own leftovers from last night.

A fridge??? Utter luxury…

dyna-ti

… Apple crumble for afters ?.

stumpy01

I love a Pizza Express, although can’t recall ever having been for Valentine’s.

Dough Balls with as much garlic butter you can smear over them.
    Fiorentina pizza – sure stick an egg in the middle of my pizza – yum!!
    And then one of those mini-desserts with a coffee for afters…..

Delicious!!

We ended up having a dine in for 2 from M&S last night, which was also delicious. Even better as my daughter wanted me to take her to bed, so I came down & it was pretty much ready to be dished up!!

MoreCashThanDash

lucky sod, at least it was freshly prepared. I got a hand dismissively waved at the fridge and heat your own leftovers from last night.

Oh, to have been cooked a Pot Noodle…..

You might want to sit down for this, but she’s making up for it tonight with an Asda Indian Takeaway for Two. Presumably found in the reduced aisle this morning when she was out.

Cougar

A fridge??? Utter luxury…

Of course, it was just a dirty puddle outside, but it was a fridge to us.

ads678

My son and his GF went for a pre valentines meal on Sunday afternoon to TGI Fridays at Xscape in Castleford, but got turned away as they are only 13. Apparnetly you have to be 14 to order food. They googled to check others there, Pizza Express, Frankie & Bennies and some others, and they’re all 16+. They ended up in Subway!!

johnx2
    Free Member

You might want to sit down for this, but she’s making up for it tonight with an Asda Indian Takeaway for Two. Presumably found in the reduced aisle this morning when she was out.

Yeah well, I’ve a half price valentine’s special Colin the Caterpillar to look forward to later, barely past its sell by date.

Jesus Christ, has even a light-hearted thread about a fast food joint just got woke with people getting offended and the OP actually apologising?

Some absolute melts on here, there really is.

Just to add, a few of our local maccies were offering tables to be reserved for valentine’s. Even to a skint 16yr old, surely not? 🤣

johnx2
    Free Member

thread about a fast food joint just got woke with people getting offended and the OP actually apologising?

Some absolute melts on here, there really is.

“Just got woke”? If you’re sneering because someone describes Pizza Hut’s restaurant manager or whatever as a maître d’ (clearly it should be “diretorre di sala”) you should stand ready to have the piss taken. As I now do…

theotherjonv

Jesus Christ, has even a light-hearted thread about a fast food joint just got woke with people getting offended and the OP actually apologising?

Not offended, no. Pointing out that to some people a trip to Pizza Hut is a treat, and pointing and laughing is not on. It’s school bully level of humour, laughing at the kid from the estate that has the wrong brand of shoes. And dismissing it as ‘bantz’ just doubles down.

If that makes me woke, or a melt, so be it.

Be the change you want to see.

Not offended, no. Pointing out that to some people a trip to Pizza Hut is a treat, and pointing and laughing is not on. It’s school bully level of humour, laughing at the kid from the estate that has the wrong brand of shoes. And dismissing it as ‘bantz’ just doubles down.

If that makes me woke, or a melt, so be it.

Be the change you want to see.

Don’t ever go to a stand up comedy gig, please

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Valentine’s Day meal out’ is closed to new replies.