Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Val Di Sole Minnaars snapped V10
  • rondo101
    Free Member

Marshy had it rebuilt in 45 mins for quali run apparently.

Greg hobbles around on his ankle for a bit then signs and autograph for a kid. True pro!

Aftermath is here if you haven’t seen it https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uxleoHwMjqo&feature=youtu.be

dannyh
    Free Member

Greg Minnaar is officially a tough cookie and he always came across as a consummate pro who is also a decent bloke in all the Peaty and Ratboy larking around vids.

rondo101
    Free Member

Looks like a metal post it folds around. Or snaps around, if you would.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rmacattack
    Free Member

i actually think the carbon snapping saved minnaars body.had it been an alu frame greg’s bones might of had to absorb more energy

alextemper
    Free Member

His lower body slams into the frame as it hits the post so I’d imagine those combination of forces caused it to fail in such a way. Less likely to have happened had it bounced in purely under it’s own steam.

superstu
    Free Member

Checks singletrack for “Santa Cruz – **** warranty experience” threads

Glad he’s ok and tomorrow’s finale promises to be brilliant.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If that video puts anyone off buying carbon then they are crazy.

An Alu bike would fold in two in the same circumstances.

I have a bit of a distrust of carbon on anything other than an xc bike, purely as I’d like to think that any crash I had would be at far lower speed, and Alu would just dent rather than crack.. Or at least I’d not worry that I had some unvisible damage on my frame.

But snapping in half. I’d almost be proud of the achievement!

One positive is that it’s unlikely that anyone is going to be posting that pic of santa cruz hitting frames off a breeze block.. For the umpteenth time.

brakes
    Free Member

yeah but the carbon shards that splintered off will have been inhaled and will now be slowly working their way to his heart.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Greg-Minnaar-Speaks-on-Breaking-His-Bike-Then-Qualifying-2nd-an-Hour-Later-at-Val-di-Sole,1927
    Interview with Sven
    The photographer ran it down the track so it could get rebuilt while Greg scoped lines, mind games for tomorrow where he said he eased off into that section in qualifying

jonnyv
    Free Member

Did the frame break before it hit the metal post?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Post was wooden, and a tree which snapped it from what everyone involved saw/said. The post now appears to be in the Syndicate chalet

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    jonnyv
    Free Member

Yes that’s a clearer video,cheers mikewsmith
    Here’s a quote from the British Downhill Series Instagram .This could have been so much worse for Minnar /:

‘So Minnaars bike snapped because it hit a wooden post (with a sign on it). BC rules state all poles must be a minimum of 1.5m high (so you don’t land on them) and made of plastic so they break and not you.
    Good job it was his bike that snapped and not him.
    Wooden posts shouldn’t be allowed on a DH course, there’s enough trees to hit already let alone using solid posts to mark the track. @ucidownhillworld @uci_cycling @gregminnaar

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Si on the ball as always!!

cyclelife
    Free Member

Double post

cyclelife
    Free Member

More SC bullshit! Rebuilt in 45 minutes my arse, as if there wasn’t one already prepared for HIM. OH, guess what- it failed again in the final.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

A bit off the mark cyclelife.. the pits are open, there is video of him working on it to build up the spare frame.

Also it didn’t fail in the final- his tyre came off. He also was able to ride down most of the course on just a carbon rim

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Exactly, a full swap in 45mins isn’t a huge ask for a wc mechanic, some people really don’t like santa Cruz do they.

cyclelife
    Free Member

A bit primitive not having an identical bike as a back up!

I would class my tyre coming off as a “fail”. Why did it come off, poor set up, missed his line, chose the wrong wheel size or bad luck again?

Anyway, no matter the best rider won.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Because he got a puncture, seems to happen to Gwinn more than most so just the luck of it all.
    Gwinn is a great rider, just not the best ever IMHO give him another 5 years and see how he is doing, or swap disciplines like Sam Hill is doing so well at.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Punctures happen for a number of reasons. Greg was hauling before it happened too.

Gwynn is hugely talented but I can’t warm to him and always find myself hoping for anyone but him to win.

Cyclelife you seem to have a bit of an issue with SC. I thought Greg did pretty darn well to have that crash and the qualify in second an hour or so later.

paton
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3O_aVQ0rl4
    Practice runs are for practice and testing and practice and testing…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3O_aVQ0rl4[/video]

eb2429
    Free Member

A bit primitive not having an identical bike as a back up!

I agree,

The final race, with the chance to win the WC, and they say they had to build a bike up? It would make sense to built up spare for each rider completed up to 9/10ths and only the practice run adjustments would need to be put on the bike for Greg M.

If not then someone I would suggest should invest in a little more prep for those professional elite riders. Don’t expect this to happen all the way down the field but we are talking about the big hitting teams.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What problem does having 2 bikes fix?
    They rebuilt a new frame with all the parts in under an hour and sent him off, the forks & shock will have been tuned over the weekend fractions at a time so will be the ones he wants on the bike, watch the SC boys with the bearings and drill prepping them all perfectly. I’m trying to remember the last time there was a full on frame snap for most of these guys – it’s a really uncommon thing. Having an identical spare frame boxed ready to go is a back up.

I’m not sure where all the hate/dislike of the syndicate comes from really – they come across as some of the nicest and most genuine people out there, Greg was over to congratulate Aaron at the end, Marshy was congratulating his mechanic. I’m sure they will have partied last night and be getting ready for Cairns where they will put everything into it.

eb2429
    Free Member

You could say the same for F1 (until the cost capping) or other sports. sure if you asked a mechanic if he would rather prep twice in his own time or once under extreme pressure he would take the former, wouldn’t you think?

BTW I quite like SC and don’t have a preference of Gwin, Hart, Brosnan, Minaar.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I don’t think there is a single team with 2 lots of bikes sat there, not even the likes of Trek who seem to have everything in the monster truck.
    A parts swap in 45mins isn’t that massive a job especially in a fully kitted out workshop. Shifters, brakes etc all in the right place already, same grips as were on before, saddle exactly right.
    In the end it the only thing that cost Greg time in Quali was being hesitant into the section where he crashed. Bike was 100% and he got unlucky with the puncture.
    The other story that didn’t come out till after was Tracy Hannah had a massive crash and thought she had broken her collarbone which explains a more hesitant race run from her (on the only bike she had there as they lent the old one to Vera Veebeck after her’s got lost on the plane)

I’ll post some pics from Cairns from the pits, these guys will be on a much more slimline kit anyway flying all the way over here too I reckon – none of the mega pit trucks

cyclelife
    Free Member

No probkem with SC, had a few in my time and still got a mk 2 nomad in the shed if i need it.

I just don’t believe the hype.
    Brief response as I’m out riding 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not sure where all the hate/dislike of the syndicate comes from really

It’s envy.

See Audi, BMW, man Utd, chelski, mayweather……

Any club/brand/team/whatever that becomes successful or aspirational attracts the same type of drivel.

Great to see Gwin coming through, he always seems a cracking guy, and Tahnee was brilliant again. The winning taste she has now will stand her in good stead against a fit again Rach next season.

cyclelife
    Free Member

NBF
    If that’s your idea of envy you need a good look at yourself.
    It’s certainly not mine, make mine to go out riding without bumping into riders like you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well if not envy your comments above seemed either bitter or very angry about something or other, completely missing facts and making up stuff. Maybe have a read of them again…

cyclelife
    Free Member

Can’t see anything I’ve made up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cyclelife – Member
    More SC bullshit! Rebuilt in 45 minutes my arse, as if there wasn’t one already prepared for HIM. OH, guess what- it failed again in the final.

How about all of that…. 🙄

deviant
    Free Member

The winning taste she has now will stand her in good stead against a fit again Rach next season.

This.

Tahnee vs Rach vs Miriam vs Tracy will be epic next year….the other girls have got a taste this year of what qualifying in first place and/or winning feels like and they’re not going to give it back to Rachel without a fight…i actually think her injury has been good for the sport, last season she was so dominant the other girls looked beaten on the Friday practice already!

superstu
    Free Member

I think Rachel was riding within herself with an eye on the worlds. I think she is still considerably ahead of the field. Her injury has opened it up and given others exposure and confidence, but a fit Rachel is still going to win most rounds next year IMHO.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

NBF
    If that’s your idea of envy you need a good look at yourself.
    It’s certainly not mine, make mine to go out riding without bumping into riders like you.

Wasn’t aimed at you personally, more just the haters in general that Mike highlighted.

But, I’m sure you’d quite like me if we bumped into each other, even though I’d be on a SC…

:mrgreen:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

superstu – Member
    I think Rachel was riding within herself with an eye on the worlds.

Both her and Tracy from what I see – especially as the overall was done once Nicole hit the line. Carins won’t be as brutal but just as hard work

dans160
    Free Member

But on a more positive note, I’m sure you will all be pleased to hear that my V10 survived my ‘off’ at Aston hill yesterday.

😀

daviek

I’m sure Rachel will be back on it next year but I think that popping her shoulder at Fort William might be playing on her mind. Quite happy to see Rachel win but would be happier if next year was as mixed as this one apart from the injuries that Is!

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Val Di Sole Minnaars snapped V10’ is closed to new replies.