Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • VAG 2.0 TFSI Engines
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

And this is with the bonnet up and phone close to engine !

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Re bump on this !

If you had this engine did it sound like the video ??

Bonnet up and phone held over engine

Sorry to be a bore !

jonnym92

My Mk5 Golf GTI doesn’t sound like the above. It’s a little tappy but not as much as that. I have had the cam belt, tensioners and water pump done about 15k miles ago though.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Unfitgeezer that sounds terrible. I had the old 1.8 vrs mk1, they are well known for having a tappety sound at idle because they have hydraulic followers on the cams that pump up properly when under load and at idle they kind of didn’t. That sounds very rough. I would be checking the water pump first then the other ancillaries. I had a water pump go on a Focus that sounded like that. Luckily it wasn’t part of the camshaft drive train.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Had that engine in an Octavia vRS about a year ago. Read up on them before hand and bought a full history (mind you the same dealer sold my no-history trade in as full history too), low owner, just over 100k miles.

Engine rattles on idle – don’t worry they all do that
    Engine doesn’t really get much better with revs – don’t worry they all do that
    Uses a bit of oil – don’t worry they all do that

Then when filling the car with oil (did an oil change fairly quickly as quality of previous stuff unknown) noticed that the oil filler cap was covered in mayo – again internet/forums tells me not to worry they have the tendency to do that if moved around from cold, like on a forecourt for a few months.

Then the engine management light came on at high revs, read the fault code (cam sensor) and reset it, a month to six weeks of problem free motoring (apart from the back box falling off and being cheaper to buy a custom s/s replacement) then the management light pops on again. Perfect mountain biking wagon and I’m going to keep this for a while so put it into Skoda for a service and to investigate the EML. They come back with a list as long as my arm, the main thing was replacing the cam sensor, and the cam chain while they were in there plus another few biggies. Just to fix the main issues was going to be £2k (£1200ish at an Indie) with no guarantee it would cure the issue. Traded it in fairly quickly.

Long story short, it was far from an impressive engine that didn’t seem worth chasing all the issues on. Would not buy another, did pull nicely but a performance engine shouldn’t sound like that.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

No mayo no engine management light
    Cambelt and water pump changed begining of the year
    Full audi history which I’ve checked with audi

No codes come up ( mechanic checked) and idles as it should just under 1000rpm

Just wanted to know if the other owners that have spoken up engines sounded similar.

Ps if you want to hear it click the link a few posts up !

johnw1984
    Free Member

Just to confirm that they indeed all sound like that.

The 2.0 TFSI in my Seat Altea Freetrack 4 does it on startup.

I get a slight bit of mayo when I do a few short journeys, but the longer ones clear it (along with the petrol at an alarming rate!).

cp

Is someone sat next to you in a tractor unfitgeezer? That sounds terrible!!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

That’s not from recorded whilst sitting in the car ! Phone was about 10cm from engine with bonnet up !

Sitting next to me – yes farmer Giles 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘VAG 2.0 TFSI Engines’ is closed to new replies.