Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Vacuum cleaner world
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

New vacuum recommendations please, we’ve got a wee Vax thing that struggles on our cheap carpets. Need something better that actually picks up fluff and other small items.
    Ta 🙂

northernmatt

Doesn’t this get asked at least once a month?

Usual answers are Miele, Sebo, Dyson.

rmacattack
    Free Member

henry

wynne
    Free Member

Henry

P-Jay
    Free Member

Henry or George if you’ve got pets.

frankconway

And the answer, again, is Sebo

nickjb
    Free Member

Dyson cordless. Game changer.

vondally
    Free Member

Once more sebo

Murray

Sebo if you like uprights that work.

leegee

Bought a Miele last weekend which has silly amounts of suction, it lifts the carpets and I have to use both arms on the highest setting.

houndlegs
    Free Member

We havent long bought a Shark, mrs h thinks it great, that’ll do for me.

finishthat
    Free Member

carpet = rotating beating head if you want it clean and the carpet pile brushed.
    Bagged cleaner with proper filters best.

Sebo X series ideal.

woffle
    Free Member

Sebo. Again.

wilburt
    Free Member

Sebo’s appear to be £300 and Henrys £120.

Mmm its a toughy.

johndoh
    Free Member

For any kind of ‘white goods’ you must have a Miele apparently. Aren’t we all so STW.

funkmasterp

bungalistic
    Free Member

Apologies if this does get asked loads, I should have checked first. I’ll look into all brands suggested. Cheers

johndoh
    Free Member

All brands? Miele and Miele then. The rest are drowned out by the Miele brothers.

Miele.

funkmasterp

You can’t do this with your fancy miele

monkeyboyjc

100% Henry….

Jakester
    Free Member

When our Dyson broke (10 years, so a reasonable innings) my wife went leftfield, and ordered a G-Tech rechargeable.

Seems good so far. Came with an upright and a handheld, both cordless. Time will tell as to reliability…

Earl
    Free Member

James

Like a Henry but with less bells and whistles.

globalti
    Free Member

Henry every time, they just go on and on.

If you fancy a Dyson just nip into your local appliance repair shop and have a look at the herd of sorry-looking Dysons standing there like giraffes, waiting for spare parts and you’ll drop the idea.

sv

Not Henry! Top heavy, easily gets caught on corners/furniture etc, the cuff that connects to the metal pipe sections keeps slipping and eventually breaks. Our old Dyson was much better, had a motor replacement(ebay £20) after 5 years and is now the garage vacuum cleaner (probably been out there 3-4 years.

smiffy

Former Dyson owner here, now 100% Henry. The AK47 of cleaners.

weeksy

Henry and a James here 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Henry. He’s like the Orange Five of the hoover world.

Except not very expensive.

FuzzyWuzzy

Aren’t you supposed to use bags with a Henry, seems a bit of a faff? I think Dysons are way overpriced but good nonetheless. My previous Dyson upright lasted 10+ years (gave it away in the end, it was still working fine). Swapped to a cordless one which is great (but stupidly expensive), probably not so good if you have a large house and want to vacuum it all at once. For me though I have a small house + I find with the cordless rather than see vacuuming as a “once a week do the whole house” thing I do the living room/hall much more often as it’s just so quick/convenient if you see dirt on the carpet.

finishthat
    Free Member

OP “Vax thing that struggles on our cheap carpets”

Unless the cleaner has a moving beating head it will struggle,
    an upright cleaner is usually required for carpets.

monkeyboyjc

Our old Dyson was much better, had a motor replacement(ebay £20) after 5 years and is now the garage vacuum cleaner (probably been out there 3-4 years.

I’m the exact opposite – had 4 Dysons over the years from the dc4? To the animal, all have had issues, broken parts repeated, got blocked easily etc. Had a Henry for two years now, it cost less to buy than some of the Dyson parts and other than the bags (big box for less than £10), had nothing spent on it. The suction power is, IMO, much better than the Dyson. Yes it’s cumbersome, doest have lots of accessories or look like a 1970s sifi robot, but it just works, 100% of the time.

chakaping
    Free Member

Aren’t you supposed to use bags with a Henry, seems a bit of a faff?

It takes less than a minute to swap the bag over. I’ve never thought of it as a faff.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Aren’t you supposed to use bags with a Henry, seems a bit of a faff?

Yes, every 6 months or so I informed by Mrs. Jay that the ‘hoover’ has become very heavy and isn’t sucking anymore – this is the point I must resist the urge to ask if it’s gotten married.

Replacing the bag is a very unfafy 90 second job, sometimes I have to drag lumps of hair out of the bit that the hose connects too, which I don’t like but as it’ll be 6 months before I do it again, I get over it.

Obviously as this is the internet I’m going to be a bit of a dick and compare the Dyson unfavourably against it.

With it’s 1.6l capacity you’ll be emptying your Dyson a lot more than your 9l Henry / George (although that both come in various sizes the Numatic ones are much bigger as a rule) and yes the Dyson is very clever and you just have to aim it over the bin and pull the trigger – ours would usually need to have lumps dragged out of it by hand.

Bags are £7 for 10 in Supermarkets or Argos, about 5 years worth at the rate we use them – if you don’t like the idea of ecological cost of brown paper and cardboard you can use an aftermarket reusable cloth bag.

chakaping
    Free Member

every 6 months or so I informed by Mrs. Jay that the ‘hoover’ has become very heavy and isn’t sucking anymore

Haha, my wife does exactly the same thing, bless her.

IHN

We have a dog. We have a Dyson.

Our cleaners (yeah, whatever, shoot me) bring a Henry, it’s crap and doesn’t pick up the dog hairs, so we’ve asked them to use our Dyson instead, which does.

And it’s about eight years old and we’ve never had any problems with it.

Jakester
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    every 6 months or so I informed by Mrs. Jay that the ‘hoover’ has become very heavy and isn’t sucking anymore – this is the point I must resist the urge to ask if it’s gotten married.

😀

funkmasterp

And it’s about eight years old and we’ve never had any problems with it.

The cleaner or the vac?

We had one of those Vax with the pet hair filter. That was awesome and coped with a Newfoundland

rugbydick

That was awesome and coped with a Newfoundland

Must be pretty powerful to pick one of those up.

globalti
    Free Member

Dysons are an absolutely genius marketing trick; they are heavy, expensive, unreliable, ugly and ridiculously over-complicated yet people buy them for the simple reason that you see the dirt you’ve collected and feel good about it. Human nature loves a big effect for minimal effort and humans will even go as far as vacuuming the floor if rewarded enough.

Meanwhile Mr Dyson lives in his mansion in Gloucestershire with 50 permanent staff to look after the house and garden and ensure his and his family’s security from kidnap.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I recently tried to hoover out my car with a friend’s Dyson V6.
    I gave up, it didn’t have enough ‘sook’

I have a Harry (Henry with a pet filter) that is good, but I do understand the issues about bulk/carting it about – as I live in a small flat.

I’d be quite keen on getting another battery powered one for convenience and quick day to day hoovering. I have laminate floors so don’t need anything super duper – been eyeing up the Vax ones that they have on sale on their outlet site (often through a link on MSE) for about £50-60

But TBH, I just use a brush and a dustpan since I am too poor to own two vacuums

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Vacuum cleaner world’ is closed to new replies.