Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Vacant property – home insurance recommendations
  • grtdkad

Hi , we’re dealing with a vacant property for an elderly relative (we have Power of Attorney).

The property has been empty for some time and the insurer Lloyds has declined to renew so we need to find cover ASAP (while we prep to sell the property).

Any recommendations for insurance companies that will cover vacant homes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Find somebody to check in on it every x days – think it’s normally 60?

sandwicheater

Shameless self plug, i own a small insurance brokers and can have a butchers, we do un-occupied property insurance.

Email in profile if you want to get in touch OP.

grtdkad

Agree Mike. Unfortunately I’m not in the vicinity so trying to avoid a 600mile round-trip.

Hence the Insurer question.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The AA were the only one that would cover me for being away for twelve weeks at a time, they also required the heating system to be either drained down or set to maintain 21 degrees.  I don’t have it that warm when I’m at home!  i think the underwriter was AXA.

Rich_s

Use a broker who can do this – don’t bother going to insurers. Usual insurance company rules are either 30/60 day period before it’s classed as unoccupied, but as it presumably already is and will be for some time then you need to get advice.

People will try and get around it by having the property “inspected” weekly, but the wording is usually that the property will be used for overnight accommodation by someone. Don’t take the chance – insure it properly.

Bear in mind that cover is usually restricted quite a bit – basically it’s natural perils only (storm/flood/etc) – so it’s often worth making sure there’s literally nothing of value in the property if you’re worried about theft.

grtdkad

Thanks all.  And sorry sandwicheater somehow your post was missed.  I’ve found a broker (Towergate Connect) that brought up a decent range of choices for unoccupied property.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vacant property – home insurance recommendations’ is closed to new replies.