Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • V old roof box Vs modern roof bars problem – can you help?
  • big_scot_nanny

I have the coolest roof box in existence. Ever since I was a kid skiing at the Cairngorms in the 80s and saw one of these atop a red Audi Quattro, I wanted one.

Locally this beauty appeared for sale 11 years ago and I bought it. It doesn’t have the bells and whistles of new ones, but it’s my dream ski box. Just need a nice Nevica all in one to go with it and its 80s-tastic!

Problem is that our new car, Hyundai, has Hyundai roof bars and these are fixed in position on the roof. This position is beyond the current range of the clamps for the box. 🙁

Furthermore, the clamps themselves are about 8mm too narrow to fit over the roof bars.

I could solve the problem of the clamp position I can solve by drilling new holes, but the issue of u-clamp width is what I need advice with:

What solutions could you suggest to rig something that’ll fit over the roof bars, still clamp the box securely, and not be permanent or too tricky (I have no lathe/power tools beyond a dremel)

thanks!

big_scot_nanny

Should mention, my first thought was to cut the u-clamp in the middle, but that would pretty drastically compromise the security of the clamp.

dallas95
    Free Member

These clamps look bigger than yours. 90mm wide. If you drill some new holes maybe that will work for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Universal-Roof-Box-Car-Van-Mounting-Fitting-Kit-U-Bolts-Clamps-/141554621712

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheDTs
    Free Member

Get a bit if ply or two bits of Ali angle pick up on some of the old holes and bung a nut and bolt through then drill a couple of holes for some new u bolts. New u bolts from Halfords possibly for aero bars.

Also roof box envy.

matt_outandabout
    TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Whoa-deo!!!

Do your new bars support T-track fittings? Do they have a rubber or plastic insert running along the top of the bar? If so, pick up some inserts and use them.

bigblackshed

Tsssss!

Surely the correct answer is one of these?

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/audi/quattro/281681

Cougar

Whoa-deo!!!

Do your new bars support T-track fittings?

Beat me to it.  Modern bars don’t generally use external clamps unless they’re cheap crap, they use special bolts which slot inside the bars.  Do they look anything like this?

https://www.goodeleisure.com/ekmps/shops/e64dfa/images/green-valley-aluminium-aero-dynamic-universal-car-roof-rack-rail-bars-locking-1.2m-t-track-%5B2%5D-1698-p.jpg

ji
    Free Member

My (ancient but less cool) roof box has multiple holes from various cars over the years. Exhaust clamps from a motor shop come in various sizes and are a simple U shape with a thread on both ends, that you can add a nut to to fit inside the box.

You will need to drill a couple of holes in the box though

big_scot_nanny

That is exactly the quattro! Gawd, its lovely though 😍

I’ve learned a great deal with your replies, thanks folks. Alternative u bend thingies would work, great potential solution but other are correct that they are reet-funcy new aero bar things.

I never even knew about the t-track thing. A question about that though – current mounting is 4x double clamps as per the photo. If using the t-track, it would be 4x single bolts. Do yous folks reckon thats enough to hold things on without disaster?

antigee

If using the t-track, it would be 4x single bolts. Do yous folks reckon thats enough to hold things on without disaster?

sort of … inside the box need say around a 5cm long x 2cm wide x 2mm or thicker aluminium strip with hole for bolt  – like a big washer or a bigger bit of 3mm ply with a very  decent size standard steel washer on top*

*best guess stuff have an old roof box with many holes – do NOT retain these instructions for future reference and next time buy the car not the roof box 🙂

big_scot_nanny

to Dallas, Matt-OAB and all, a quick update and huge thanks.

Matt, I just went and bought the ones on your link. Seemed the simplest option for a bloke with limited ‘knack’ or tools.

Worked a treat – drilled wider holes (measured twice, drilled once), fitted to roof bars and bob’s your uncle. Mounted roof box has survived multiple long ski trips so far, and nothing has flown off the roof. Hurrah!

matt_outandabout

👍

(I don’t need, but I so want one of those roof boxes myself)

GrahamS

Not quite as awesomely retro @matt_outandabout but these might meet your needs/wants?

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-boxes/roof-boxes-long-thin.php

matt_outandabout

I’m more bothered about the graphics and stickers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘V old roof box Vs modern roof bars problem – can you help?’ is closed to new replies.