• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • V-brake voodoo
  • ratherbeintobago

Is it normal for one arm to move more than the other?

And are the three holes in the braze on to allow rough adjustment of spring tension or have I misunderstood?

simondbarnes

You’d generally have the spring set in the middle hole (both sides). There should be an adjustment screw on each arm to balance the tension (unless they are really horrible cheap v-brakes)

ratherbeintobago

That’s what I thought, however I’ve got the tension screw right down on one side. Might have to disassemble and make sure I’ve not done something daft.

They’re Tektros so not the cheapest of the cheap.

simondbarnes

You can also carefully bend the springs to adjust the tension.

jamj1974

If the tension screw doesn’t offer enough adjustment to get the arms moving symmetrically, I have previously bent the springs gently to make them balance…

Poopscoop

Take apart and grease up, if still an issue, use the higher tension hole on the side where you have the adjuster right in and see if that helps equalise things.

Bez

They’ll often be a little asymmetrical when at rest, not least because one of them’s got the cable outer anchored to it, which will affect the balance. As long as the pads contact the rim at the same time and you’ve got enough clearance both sides, it’s fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘V-brake voodoo’ is closed to new replies.