Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Uzes in a couple of weeks: Road or mountain bike?
  • iamtheresurrection

Hoping a few on here (@edukator maybe?) might know the area around Uzes?

I think this is an easy one… off to spend a few weeks in Uzes and plan on taking the road bike as I know the road possibilities are endless but I’m a bit concerned by just how hot it’s going to be, and wonder if there is much mountain biking on the doorstep with a bit of tree cover? I don’t want to have to drive to get somewhere, it’s not that kind of holiday – just leave from the front door for a few hours ride?

From looking places like Komoot it does look like there might be something, but would prefer some first hand knowledge off here if there is any?

Be great if there’s steep and technical stuff, but equally would be happy on holiday just exploring old cross country if there’s much of that?

Thanks 🙂

ocrider

There’s plenty of short steep stuff in that area, dropping down towards the gorges du Gardon around Poulx and Cabrières; Antoine Vidal’s home village. The hills above St Maximin and St Siffret host a local xc race and a rando every year, so there’s plenty of single-track up there too. There isn’t much shade though, you’ll be wanting to fling the bike into a car and head up towards Alès and into the Cévennes for that.

iamtheresurrection

Thanks for that acrider, I hadn’t realised that there was much riding heading off the tops towards the gorges and Siffret looks like it has at least some tree cover – looking more like I’ll take a mountain bike instead.

I love road riding in France, but think it could be brutal this August unless I get out really early, which doesn’t always go hand in hand with holiday beers.

asbrooks

UZES

I have (wife has) family who live there. Check out the link for routes

corroded
    Free Member

Personally I prefer road riding in extreme heat rather than MTB – you’re going faster so there’s more of a breeze and the bike is lighter. I rode Ventoux a couple of weeks ago and set my alarm for 5am and was done by 9am before it got too hot!

iamtheresurrection

Thanks asbrookes: perfect.

Every time I go somewhere hot with riding planned I think I’ll set the alarm and get out early. Invariably head out at midday after late night and a lazy brunch…

Too old to pretend I’ll be more disciplined this year.

asbrooks

@iamtheresurrection

Yeah that sounds familiar.. Last time I was there it 32 degrees in a normal summer. Also it’s quite warm in the mornings too! iirc.

I love it down there, it’s a very relaxed way of life. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it whatever you get up to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.