Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Uzbekistan cash
  • MadBillMcMad

We are doing the usual khiva, bukhara, Samarkand and Tashkent all independent staying at budget hostels.

I assume they will mainly be cash (dollars? ) only

Are we able to get cash out of the wall from these places or do we need to take loads of dollars?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just the usual, yeah?

MadBillMcMad

OK Uzbekistan perhaps isn’t the usual, slightly daunting if I’m honest.

But think we’re doing the main highlights plus a couple of wanderings.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spectraken
    Free Member

USD is great, alternatively you won’t have too many problems finding a local trader to exchange their so’m. Make sure you know the rate when you arrive so you don’t get ripped off excessively and be willing to do the ‘walkaway’ if their rate is crap.

Edukator
    Free Member

Junior did varous countries in that part of the world and found local currency was the way to go, bought with euros or dollars. The most universal currency on Mongolia was water melons, he found anything could be bartered for water melons so filled the roof rack with them.

nicko74

Fabulous, enjoy! As above, cash is the way forward; in Tashkent and Samarkand you can find ATMs at reasonably trustworthy looking banks; Khiva probably has them but may be a bit tougher to find.

ETA: as you’ll have no doubt already read, watch out for cops/ various officials working to get bribes, most obviously by playing “hide the passport” when they demand to see your papers. Tashkent metro used to be infamous for it (I think I counted 10 seconds between walking into the station and 2 cops sauntering over to me). Outside Tashkent they seemed a bit more half-hearted, and failing to understand Russin or Uzbek made them give up after a few minutes.

spectraken
    Free Member

And regarding the cops, seniority is normally proportional to the size of hat 😉 if they do try to extract a bribe out of you, play dumb, show them your library card or gym membership card or something. As Nicko74 says, they normally get bored after a while.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I did that trip 6-7 years ago and I’d say take US dollars and convert to the local currency when you are there.

If you are feeling very very flush take a credit card and maybe buy a carpet in Bukhara. Good ones there are stunning but do cost thousands.

WildHunter2009

We didn’t have any issues with police or bribes at all 2 years ago. But conversely found it almost impossible to find or use an ATM. They either didnt work or wouldn’t accept international cards.

I think a lot had changed recently..for one thing the Som got reset to the black market rate so not sure it’s such a bargain as it used to be.

Bloody wonderful place though. We loved it, especially Bukhara and Khiva

BurnBob
    Free Member

Speak to your Thomas Cook rep when you get there.

MadBillMcMad

Cheers all.

Starting to get quite excited, and apprehensive.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like an interesting trip!

Marin
    Free Member

Convinced myself yesterday to go to Kyrgyzstan next year. Hurrah for the Stans. Have a great trip.

WildHunter2009

You will have an awesome time. Stunning and really interesting part of the world. Also plov is yummy.

kittyr
    Free Member

Plov is indeed delicious! On the other hand, cow blood soup is completely and absolutly vile.

I went a few years ago and had a fab trip.

Cash – we took cash USD and exchanged at the black market money dealers, like WildHunter says I don’t think you need to do this any more? ATMs never worked for us and hardly saw one. This was like 5 years ago so might be different now. We did need a stack of local currency to pay for meals out, was funny getting a huge wodge out which was the equivalent of about 5 usd.

nicko74

Make sure you check out the fat-bottomed sheep while you’re there; they’re very proud of them!

MadBillMcMad

I do like my offal but ‘cow blood soup’ might be a step too far.

‘fat bottomed sheep’ sounds a lot tastier.

Looking forward to plov.

Cash wise, i understand there are now atms but often empty but there are banks in the major cities. So we’re taking a healthy wodge of dollars but should be able to top up.

globalti
    Free Member

After 35 years of travelling in Africa especially Nigeria I can tell you that the best way to deal with corrupt officials is to smile, greet them, have some banter and say: “Tomorrow, maybe!” then leave. Obviously you always need to have the correct documents including your Yellow Fever certificate and carry photocopies to show them, which is never a problem as they don’t expect originals.

MadBillMcMad

Jeez, it’s hot! 35, I’m melting.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Uzbekistan cash’ is closed to new replies.