• This topic has 144 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Utility Bikes – replacing the car
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

That basket doesn’t have the fixings. Decathlon sell one similar.

Olly
    Free Member

had anyone suggested this yet?
    Add a light ish plywood box or a crate and you would be a lot closer to the dream of “throw it in the front” rather than having to worry about panniers

https://global.bluelug.com/crust-bikes-clydesdale-cargo-fork-28115.html

p7eaven
    Free Member

*edit actually that 10l basket is tiny. Please ignore unless need a small basket.

@trailwagger
    what’re the dimensions of the tray on your bike?

Would this do? ignore the dog

Add a light ish plywood box or a crate and you would be a lot closer to the dream of “throw it in the front” rather than having to worry about panniers

OP wanted a regular 700c so space/depth limited up front/high load. That is a neat retrofit solution though, admittedly

trailwagger
    Free Member

You could always replace/alternate the tray with a deep basket (if large wheels allow) if required.

I`m drawing a blank on that too, so will have to wait until it arrives for a proper mearuement.

5lab

I don’t know if you can get one for the front, but on all my bikes with racks I use the topeak mtx system. Clip on (takes ~1 second) a top-mount bag, a bag with panniers, a laptop bag (no longer sold, sadly) or a big basket – much more convinient than faffing with panniers

edit : now has a crate thingy available too https://youtu.be/hAcbzbDVl8w

edit2 : looks like you can get an adapter thingy for any rack https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/248-Accessories/1323-OMNI-QUICKTRACK-ADAPTER

mick_r

Various wire baskets here:

https://southerndistributors.co.uk/?s=Basket&post_type=product

I’m also considering some kind of folding crate so I don’t have to pedal 30 miles pre-shop with a square draggy box on the front.

p7eaven
    Free Member

@Olly, seriously – looking again that Clydesdale cargo fork is a fantastic solution. Old tech revisited is oft-times the best. Do you know if they are available in the UK? (Doubtful as is listed out of stock on their main website)

Karrykoram! ❤️

himupstairs

I know one thing for sure, ditching the car for a bike is not being ‘normalised’ in the UK, ever. Not in our lifetimes at least. Ride what you like/can/wish to/ afford?

Guess biggest problem is really that still as a nation we are shit at seeing bikes as transport in general.

Can’t help with the baskets, but this is it. ^^ [plus woeful infrastructure]

I don’t know if I’m helping or not by using my found in a garden ratty batavus or my inexpensive cargo bike, but the latter does make people smile when loaded with kids.

Hope the genesis does everything you want it to OP, and sorry for the virtue signalling cargo/dutch bike digressions!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Hope the genesis does everything you want it to OP, and sorry for the virtue signalling cargo/dutch bike digressions!

Im quite happy for it to turn into a general cargo/utility bike thread…. When i started the thread my thoughts where purely on the Genesis style bikes, I have since discovered and explored the idea of step/thru, e-assist and full on cargo bikes that i wouldn’t have been aware of without everyone’s contribution to the thread.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Pilot hire scheme for e-bikes (and e-cargo bikes) launched in Wales https://media.service.gov.wales/news/e-bike-pilot-scheme-to-launch-in-wales

@p7eaven
    someone like Pi at clandestine.Cc would be able to make a fork similar. I think practical cycles also offered them?

p7eaven
    Free Member

I don’t know if I’m helping or not by using my found in a garden ratty batavus

Not helping. Dutch bikes are also too ‘Euro’ and ‘elite’. Besides, what do the Dutch know about carrying stuff on bikes?

1. It looks too weird for UK use.
    2. Is too posh and trendy.
    3. Is too ratty and untrendy
    4. Is virtue-signalling
    4.5 Is reverse-vitue-signalling
    5. Is heavy and doesn’t have a motor. Are you a 1930s butcher’s boy?
    6. Is too expensive
    7. Is too cheap
    8. Has roller brakes which do not lock up the wheels so no skiddies with a full load. Everyone likes skiddies with a full load.
    9. Hard to justify over car for local trips without virtue-signalling/appearing to be poor/appearing to be middle-class
    10. That’s enough of that.

@shedbrewed
    thnks will take a look. It’s clever how the forks dip backwards behind the steerer, increasing the depth/load. 👍🏼

kayla1
    Free Member

OH has a cheap bike he picked up at an auction (£20) with a large plastic crate he found somewhere bolted onto the rack on the back. Utility doesn’t have to cost much. We have a car again now (we didn’t for a few months recently and managed fine, not much difference to be honest as we work from home and usually walk or ride to the post office with the day’s post in the panniers on my bike or in a backpack if we walk.)

DrP

@thisisnotaspoon
    I’ve an OFO too! Did you get the tool kit to be able to change the bolts at all? My kickstand is loose and i can’t tighten it!!

I’ve also had a Kona Minute, which I replaced with a full size Ute.. I use it all round town… for work..taking kids to school (oldest rides his bike now)..
    I Love it!

DrP

thepodge
    Free Member

This was mine until I got rid about a month ago. Now I’m not riding mini me to school I don’t need the basket as its not full of all his stuff and yes that’s an OFO basket.

I’m now riding something that is basically a budget this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@DrP

I’ve an OFO too! Did you get the tool kit to be able to change the bolts at all? My kickstand is loose and i can’t tighten it!!

Yep, toolstation had a Draper “security bit” set which covers 90% of it, the only thing it doesn’t have is the 5 sided wrenches for the hubs. It’s £4.99.

I’ll double check it has the right bit when I get home (IIRC it’s simply a big security torx).

DrP

cheers mate… Just seen it… will buy it and pick it up tonight!!

DrP

squirrelking
    Free Member

Good luck getting the Crust forks, from what I recall they only do them in batches and haven’t had any for a while. You might get someone to fabricate a set, not sure if @retrodirect does commissions but someone else on Insta may be able to.

towpathman

To the ofo users – how good are they for tall people (6’4)?

DrP

with the stock seatpost, that will be a bit small….

I’m 5’10” and wish the saddle went higher..

DrP

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why does that Cannondale have the basket so high up? Missing the point a bit.

thepodge
    Free Member

Its part of the bars, these days the main thing I carry from work is paperwork I’ve printed out, why have a big basket miles away for that?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ultimate combo today.

First time I’ve had to take Jnr to nursary since Xmas….and the weather’s turned to make it suitable for her to not freeze.

Fun for the whole family…..

trailwagger
    Free Member

Settled on this bag for the office commute.

https://www.muddyfox.com/muddyfox-courier-bag-937616

Was a bit concerned about the brands reputation for cheap/low quality but it was on offer at evans for £20 so worth a punt. Perfect size, and has a waist strap that could be used to secure around the basket.

trailwagger
    Free Member

One thing I am enjoying about this process is thinking of all the things and ways I could use this bike.
    I finish work at 2pm on a friday so always collect my daughter from school that day. She is 7. We normally walk unless the weathers foul. Now i am thinking of ways to pick her up on the bike. Its a toss up between a tag along, or making some sort of seat pad and letting her sit on the rear rack with a tandem style handlebar on my seatpost.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Note I have a seat pad (off eBay) and a nn old stem/cut down bars on the seat post. In fact apart from the freeradical the dynamo and the sturmey archer 3 speed hub….it’s all recycled from the parts bin.

Very handy for when we were able to go to the pub…….I wouldn’t be concerned about a 7 year old on it – I have footplates though. My daughter’s a bit young yet (18months)

squirrelking
    Free Member

Its part of the bars, these days the main thing I carry from work is paperwork I’ve printed out, why have a big basket miles away for that?

Because the whole point of small wheel utility bikes is that the load and by extension centre of gravity is kept low. That just misses the entire point and half your load area is rendered useless for anything other than small light loads.

Never noticed the lefty fork either, must be brilliant trying to find mudguards for that!

thepodge
    Free Member

I have a small wheeled bike because it’s far easier to store and get in and out of the office and I don’t carry much, I don’t have it to suit your preconceived ideas.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a small wheeled bike because it’s far easier to store and get in and out of the office and I don’t carry much, I don’t have it to suit your preconceived ideas.

Lol, no need to get so defensive, I was questioning the design execution rather than your needs. You provided a stock photo of a “utility” bike that has very little utility, mostly to accomodate that pointless lefty fork and I responded. If it works for you great but it’s critically hobbled by that fork. Otherwise it would be a decent bike.

thepodge
    Free Member

Its not a “utility” bike, its a bike that someone has modified to their needs. With the rear rack it can handle more load than my bike with a bigger basket. Just because its not using all of its capacity all of the time doesn’t make it any less viable.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Its a toss up between a tag along, or making some sort of seat pad and letting her sit on the rear rack with a tandem style handlebar on my seatpost.

You provided a stock photo of a “utility” bike that has very little utility, mostly to accomodate that pointless lefty fork and I responded. If it works for you great but it’s critically hobbled by that fork. Otherwise it would be a decent bike.

I like the Hooligan. Don’t think it’s marketed as anything other than a compact/radical street-bike? Any bike that is used primarily in a utilitarian fashion is my ‘utility bike’ to my way of thinking.

Its not a “utility” bike, its a bike that someone has modified to their needs

Fixed 😉

There was an electrified Hooligan with a homebrew sidecar (!) for sale in Cheltenham I think just recently

*edit still is

critically hobbled

some interesting thoughts on mono forks, drum brakes and city/utility bikes from Mike Burrows:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/migrated/publication/ctc201601034.pdf

thepodge
    Free Member

That sidecar setup is awesome.

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ tis a thing of beauty. If I had the cash I’d nip off with that and buy some goggles and a tank helmet. Life could only improve from that moment on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

some interesting thoughts on mono forks, drum brakes and city/utility bikes from Mike Burrows:

alot of compromise there to get monoarms and drum brakes in there – paired with random TT bike brake levers.

Ill stick to my dynohub and ergonomic brakes thanks.

Olly
    Free Member

Did somebody say Mike Burrows?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To the ofo users – how good are they for tall people (6’4)?

You sit upright (high bars, slack seat angle) so it doesn’t really matter (I’m ‘only’ 6ft though).

The bit that you’ll struggle with is the dropper post, to stop it slipping I have to crank it up tight enough that the dropper doesn’t drop anymore. Fine if it’s just you, but negates the fact it’s useful for other people. Mine lives outside the front door so either of us can just grab it to get to the post office or shops. An ideal solution would be to 3D Print a collar to hold it at a set height without needing such force to clamp it. A bit of pipe or a 2nd seat clamp on the post itself would probably work just as well though.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Ill stick to my dynohub and ergonomic brakes thanks.

Yep, I don’t get his dislike of dynohubs based upon a like of drum brakes

one reason (for town/cargo) I prefer roller-brakes because I get to keep the dynohub yet also the

‘I’m not a dynohub fan,’ he said, ‘because I want a drum brake. It gives you reliable, consistent braking in all weathers. And unlike a disc, it’s not over-powerful.

Roller-brake and dynohub = win-win

I don’t know enough about mono forks to comment, but thought the whole interview interesting

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is overpowerful a thing in utility world ?

Bike plus me plus wife plus Jnr could be in region of 200kg

Or bike plus me plus shopping is also a considerable weight.

Don’t get the over powerful thing. I have bigger brakes (200mm)on this than on my mojo Hd(180mm)

Also I forgot that burrows was involved in 8freight…..how you go from 8freight to that carbon mono(strosity) is beyond me. That’s not even a logical leap

5lab

my roller brake is certainly under-powerful on my cargo bike. Heading down ditchling beacon, the only way to stop was dragging feet as well as pulling both brakes as hard as I could. Sub-optimal.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Or bike plus me plus shopping is also a considerable weight.

As always, define your ‘utility world’? I try not to make the argument that one size fits all.

For me, I’ve been enjoying roller brakes for 8 years on the Batavus, in two geographical locations – always for big weekly shops/carrying tools/eqpt/the odd passenger

First time I’ve used any so only have one experience albeit in a number of scenarios (hence feel free to dismiss)

The bike in question is about 20kg or thereabouts. It’s difficult to lift up steps so I don’t.

I’m the wrong side of 100kg, and my regular long-haul grocery weights with front rack etc are anyone’s guess. 6-8 litres of liquids, many cans, veg etc. Two 50 litre panniers that are hard to lift off when loaded, so I don’t.

For about three years this was my coastal town bike so shops were only three mile round trip max, with one medium hill to climb and one small one going back. The descent from the (top of hill supermarket) was considerable but was tarmac with a long lead out. The rest was flat shared path. No problems except for after a few months the front brake began losing it’s bite and I had to plan ahead a lot more. I got the Shimano service oil and put it the hole marked ‘oil’. It improved things, yet the back brake was still the better of the two. These are Nexus Inter-M brakes. Nothing flash.

Then I moved to the hills and now it’s a plummet-flat-shop-winch sort of journey. The front brakes has continued to lose power slowly ober the years and I suspect (being a used bike) it’s time to replace. They aren’t expensive and I don’t know the service history.

But my take home (!) is I’ve enjoyed using them in rotten weather and fine (more rotten) for over 8 trouble-free years, and they are great for moderating speed when carrying giant loads, pulling up in a measured stop, and emergency stops have ‘natural ABS’. They don’t stop on a dime/lock wheels like with four pot hydraulics, but I’d not want that when carrying a big load on the streets or descending the high street. Neither would I want to have to put my feet down! It’s not ‘either/or’ or else it’s wrong.

If I ever felt I had to put my feet down to stop then I’d replace them as their service life would surely be over? Or I wouldn’t be fast-descending Ditchling Beacon fully-loaded with roller-brakes, whatever their service/efficiency level. I imagine the oil has burned? 🤔

Your milage, servicing intervals, brake health and terrain may vary but for a town bike and ‘easy tourer’ I really like them. Looking forward to rebuilding the bike soon and replacing the old knackered front roller with a new and maybe slightly upgraded roller.

how you go from 8freight to that carbon mono(strosity) is beyond me. That’s not even a logical leap

It’s a different type/purpose of bike altogether. Whether you personally like it or not/whether or not it tickles your engineering skills/knowledge – it’s still comparing apples and oranges (except for they share a monoblade fork and drum brake)?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll stick to not fitting shit brakes for no good reason

I’ve got a pair of basic cable deore disks that vastly outperform any roller brake I’ve ever had the misfortune to use. And require minimal maintenance over the 10 years I’ve had them in various iterations of town bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Utility Bikes – replacing the car’ is closed to new replies.