UST Rims – what type of tyre for tubeless

Home Forum Bike Forum UST Rims – what type of tyre for tubeless

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • UST Rims – what type of tyre for tubeless
  • nicolaisam

I have always used UST tyres or TLR(Tubeless ready).

Ok, im a bit confused. Ive got a pair of Shimano proper UST wheels. Do I HAVE to use UST tyres with them to go tubeless. Suppose I was to fit my cheap Conti wire tyres with some Stan’s would my wheels explode and would I die?

Premier Icon peteimpreza
    Subscriber

Maxis LUST tyres work well with proper UST rims.

geetee1972

So the difference is that UST tyres will stay inflated without the need for sealant, on account of the fact they have a rubber coating on the inside to make them air tight, whereas tubeless ready will inflate tubeless but will need sealant to be air tight and stay inflated.

UST is primarily about the bead interface that gives the air tight lock between tyre and rim. Tubeless also has this bead interface but other regular tyres don’t.

Some non UST/tubeless tyres will work but it’s very hit and miss and you will find that even if it does inflate, it will roll and leak air more easily.

Given that you can find tubeless ready tyres relatively cheaply these days (UST are still pricey) you may as well run those. If you have lots of legacy tyres in the garage you may as well try but you’ll probably need a CO2 canister to get them inflated and plenty of washing up liquid around the bead to create the initial air tight seal.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

boxfish

I don’t bother with UST tyres anymore – too damned heavy! Tubeless-ready does just fine. I do use sealant though which adds weight, but I also used it with UST.

carlos

You don’t HAVE to use ust or tubeless ready but it makes it a bit easier apparently.

I’m currently running Flow ex rims with standard folding Nevegals and they went up using a track pump first time, had to put in and extra scoop of Stans as they’re not lust/ust to help seal the walls etc… But had no probs since.

Cool, I was under the impression that non ust or non tubeless ready tyres were ok with a stans/strips set up but not with ust rims…might try to find some cheap tubeless ready tyres to give it a go…

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Having now busted two tubeless ready tyres with less than a combined 300miles I have to say the next set is going to be proper UST. Sidewalls on the tlr tyres have not been nearly as robust. In both cases it was sidewall issues. It might be I have been unlucky but I never had these issues with the old conti usts I had before.

GEDA

I have had exactly the same sidewall issues with UST tyres. Running 819 rims I quite often get pinch punctures. Any recommendations for tubeless tyres that have nice thick side walls? I want a tyre at the back that I can depend on.

geetee1972

If you’re regularly getting pinch flats on tubeless then it might suggest you’re being overly optimistic with how low you can run your tyre pressure. I think the benefit they sold tubeless on of being able to run lower pressurs is a fallacy really. It could also be specific to the ground you’re running over. Cwmcarn DH track was always a problem because it was so hard packed that when you cornered the tyre would burp air, lose pressure and by the time you were two thirds the way down you’d pinch flat.

I run 30psi in my single ply UST tyres on my trail bike unless I am in the Peak or somewhere rocky in which case I just run a dual ply rear. I can’t get away with any sense of security that I won’t pinch if I run a single ply tyre there. It’s fine on loamy woodsy riding.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

For clarification UST rims are different to Stans conforming to a standard and designed to work with UST tyres. Tubeless ready and Continentals seem to work OK for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘UST Rims – what type of tyre for tubeless’ is closed to new replies.