UST 29er wheel

Home Forum Bike Forum UST 29er wheel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • UST 29er wheel
  • germolene

whats the best wheel set for me. I do need 29er and 10speed
    and I would like tubeless. All the usual sites don’e really offer much

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

I have a set of Mavic C29ssmax’s for sale, very stiff and UST compatible out of the box. Just one season in them, not ridden at all last year due to fatherhood and not getting out.

£250 if you’re interested, e-mail in profile.

clubber

Tubeless or UST? They’re not the same thing…

Assuming tubeless then I’d recommend Stans rims and whatever deals you can find with the right hubs for your requirements. 10 speed is the same as 9 speed.

Hope Hoops are very popular.

germolene

HI Hatter thanks, I’ll look into those
    Clubber what do you mean tubeless and UST. I thought that all UST are tubeless?

robarnold

All UST are tubeless but all tubeless aren’t UST. Many non UST rims are convertible to tubeless these days with the correct rim tape/strip. It’s a different system to UST though which was pioneered by Mavic.

Stans rims are excellent, easily convertible and shallow making inflating simple

clubber

UST is a specific type of ‘tubeless’ which doesn’t actually need sealant and relies on a much more precise fit between rim and tyre (and tends to be pretty heavy).

Most people on here talking about tubeless are using sealant and non-UST rim/tyres.

Premier Icon trusty
    Subscriber

there’s a few Specialized Roval wheel sets available, all tubeless ready. I’ve got a set of American Classic AMs (also tubeless ready), very nice but more expensive than a set of stans / hope hoops.

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

In theory full UST system uses non-drilled, generally Mavic rims and dedicated UST tyres with no sealant.

In practice UST rims just make a standard setup with normal tyres and sealant that bit easier as you don’t need a rim strip and you don’t get any leakage through the spoke holes.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’ve seen some very varying weights for the new 821 but if the better weights are correct then it’s probably a good ‘un, built to the hubs of your choice. If the worse weights are correct then it’s probably not. If it were the claimed weight it’d be great but that’s the one thing it’s definitely not.

Dubious of Roval these days, I’ve got some older ones which are really nice wheelsets but every time I see a current model it’s made of dents, they seem to be pretty soft.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘UST 29er wheel’ is closed to new replies.