Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Using the NHS as a non-resident – anyone done it?
  • bob_summers

My 5yo split his head open at school, small but deep gash, 4 stitches which are to come out in 10 days, but we’re visiting the UK 28th-5th (live in Pais Vasco, son is Spanish national, I haven’t lived in UK for over 10 years).

Surgeon said no problem getting them taken out abroad, but how – do we just rock up at the Hospital? Local health centre?

Drac

Go to a minor injuries unit or book as a temporary resident at a GP.

Edukator
    Free Member

I used my French EU health card fine in the UK. I tried giving them my UK national insurance number from the days you used to have a piece of brown cardboard with a number on it WK 65 10 ** C. This caused confusion so I handed over the EU card.

Take the stitches out yourself. I’ve always done mine and Madame’s, and did junior’s when he was a kid. Drown everything in Betadine, snip one end and pull the knot. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trimix
    Free Member

Just take them out yourself. It’s not hard, certainly not worth wasting hours at a hospital.

bob_summers

I’ve taken my own out before but a bit nervous about these. They put staples in at first, which got infected so it’s been stitched today and he’s on antibiotics. Been a pretty harrowing day for the lad. If they look easy enough I’ll give it a go, otherwise to the local GP I guess

Marge
    Free Member

I took my Belgian son to the A&E last Xmas as his toe looked a bit manky

They sorted him out (lovely Doctor) though the nurse did say ‘should have gone to your GP’.
    We mentioned that we weren’t UK residents and there was bit of a harrumph but we responded with our most pleasant smiles 🙂

TomB

Just needs a practice nurse appointment. Don’t go to a+e, just ring local surgery or head to minor injuries unit. Quick and easy job, but given you’ve already had complications it would be worth someone having a look at the wound, rather than just whipping them out yourself.

tjagain

Ruddy health tourists coming over here and using our NHS!

Seriously and assuming you are staying here with someone I would ask the GP practice they use if the practise nurse could take them out for you

maccruiskeen

snip one end and pull the knot.

I tried that after my hernia op. My belly button came undone and my bum fell off.

I haven’t been able to sit down since 2011

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Using the NHS as a non-resident – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.