Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Using Strava on an uplift day
  • wallop

Today I did an uplift day. I used a Garmin Edge to track my ride, but paused it when I was in the van. The Garmin only tracked the miles I actually cycled, but when I uploaded it to Strava it has unfortunately counted the distance between the two paused points in the total mileage.

This isn’t good, because it unfairly skews my mileage in the work club – which is admittedly just a bit of fun – but if I make the ride private then I lose the achievements I gained on the descents today (which I was really pleased with).

What are my options? Splitting the gpx into 15 different files? I wouldn’t know how to begin with that.

(FWIW – apparently the Strava mobile app does not count mileage between two paused points).

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There were some suggestions here, but it was started 6 months ago and just my last post more recently.

The last time I was downhilling and using chair lifts I used ADZE to delete all the uplifted bits and then uploaded to Strava as separate files. This means you only get the downhill bits (good) but it throws out your average rides per week but (bad).

wallop

Blimey, I even did a search and everything! 😳

Thanks for the post. I’m not using a mac so I’ll see if I can find an alternative to ADZE.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought you could upload a ride and designate it uplift now?

Or did I imagine that?

wallop

Can’t see any options for that if I edit the ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or just not upload it, surely its equally cheeting counting uplifted downhill miles!

wallop

But they are downhill segments – surely how I got there is irrelevant to how I performed on them!?

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ll have to explain that one to us spoony.

chakaping
    Free Member

My mistake.

You could designate it as stair-stepper, weight training or yoga though!

Where did all those options come from? Maybe drop customer services a line and see if they can remove the ascent data from your total or something?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Customer service can split it into multiple rides if you tell them the KM points to cut at, for next time just stop it when you get off and restart at the top, not much more involved than pausing it.

Northwind

I got their customer service to cut all the uphills out of some days in the alps- not quite accurate that but much simpler than trying to retain actual climbs and trying to lose all the chairlifts. Strava customer service are surprisingly good tbh!

bigrich

go out and ride your bike up the same elevation and then make that private and ta-daa! strava neutral

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Customer service can split it into multiple rides if you tell them the KM points to cut at, for next time just stop it when you get off and restart at the top, not much more involved than pausing it.

This doesn’t work. It still calculates the elevation difference between the bottom and top and adds the total to your stats.

spooky_b329

Work out the correct mileage, delete or make private, and then enter it as a manual entry, just asks for time and distance I think.

I started adding my commute via a once per week manual entry as it was too much faff to start the phone app for a 10 minute pedal.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’ll have to explain that one to us spoony

This isn’t good, because it unfairly skews my mileage in the work club

If i had a bet on for bragging rights over weekly milage I don’t think I’d include miles where the van did all the work getting to the top!

Either youre taking it seriously, using it for logging training miles etc and an uplift doesnt really count at all, or its a bit of fun and only interested in the DH segments, in which case why stress?

jools182
    Free Member

which is admittedly just a bit of fun

Are you sure? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This doesn’t work. It still calculates the elevation difference between the bottom and top and adds the total to your stats.

Stop the tracking and save the ride.
    Start a new ride at the top.

Hope the extra words make more sense

chakaping
    Free Member

If i had a bet on for bragging rights over weekly milage I don’t think I’d include miles where the van did all the work getting to the top!

Gotcha now.

I wouldn’t fret over that myself – and if OP is riding a DH bike it can be bloody hard work riding downhill a lot of the time.

wallop

Either youre taking it seriously, using it for logging training miles etc and an uplift doesnt really count at all, or its a bit of fun and only interested in the DH segments, in which case why stress?

Bragging rights!? I don’t care about the mileage, but I can’t exclude that one ride from my weekly total without losing my DH segments, which I do care about.

jools182 – Are you sure?

Yes, for me it really is just a bit of fun. My male colleagues take it a bit more seriously though 😉

wallop

Stop the tracking and save the ride.
    Start a new ride at the top.

I will definitely do this next weekend.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

😳

Totally missed the “not much more involved than pausing it” bit

njee20
    Free Member

This seems to depend on the device. On a ride last week we caught a train for part of it, underestimating light levels and headwinds.

I paused my Edge 1000 and started it again the other end. The Strava trace shows the straight line between the two points, but no data. My friend’s Forerunner added the distance between the two. No height gain as destination was lower, but presumably it would have done.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I assume you didn’t get PRs on all 15 runs, so just cut and save the few you did do well on?

OR, stop thinking so much. It’s just strava, the ride still happened.

SammyC
    Free Member

Look, what everybody seems to be glossing over is the fact that you did an uplift without inviting me! And on my birthday weekend too. I is disappoint.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Following on from the above mentioned thread, in the end I’ve just not bothered about it. Virtually everyone else is doing the same. As I mentioned in that thread the only issue is places like FoD where the uplift is on roads and so you’re messing up potential road segments. I think they just live with it though as rare I’ll get a ride flagged there.

Main problem I find is the miles in vans are being clocked up, though it does mean I’m more likely to achieve my challenge goals 😀

This would go away if as I and many others have requested to Strava, they distinguish between road and off road rides. The challenges are largely useless to me as even though I just compare to people I know and clubs, many I know do road rides or commutes and some just off road, so you just can’t compare.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What I did when I went to FOD was create a segment just for the uplifty parts and then work out how many times I was uplifted and deduct that from the total miles.
    Not ideal, but I’ll be doing the same at BPW in less than 2 weeks.

wallop

glasgowdan – Member
    I assume you didn’t get PRs on all 15 runs, so just cut and save the few you did do well on?

If only it was that easy! You can only crop the start and the end of the whole ride, not cut bits out of the middle.

Anyway, I’ll just wait until this week’s “league” is done and then make the ride public again so that my segments reappear. My colleagues will never even know 8)

Sam – sorry!

poah
    Free Member

I just leave mine on, couldn’t care less about the total milage I do in a year.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Splitting the gpx into 15 different files? I wouldn’t know how to begin with that.

Open in a text editor
    Copy and paste the start and finish bits around each “ride” and save multiple times.

GPX by strava recorded on my phone yesterday:

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?>
    <gpx creator=”strava.com Android” version=”1.1″ xmlns=”http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1&#8243; xmlns:xsi=”http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance&#8221; xsi:schemaLocation=”http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensionsv3.xsd http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtension/v1 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrackPointExtensionv1.xsd”&gt;
    <metadata>
    <time>2015-05-18T17:56:03Z</time>
    </metadata>
    <trk>
    <name>”Name” </name>
    <trkseg>

Multiple points:

<trkpt lat=”54.9676110″ lon=”-1.6208010″>
    <ele>40.4</ele>
    <time>2015-05-18T17:56:03Z</time>
    </trkpt>

etc etc

End:

</trkseg>
    </trk>
    </gpx>

deadkenny
    Free Member

There are various tools that will edit GPX and maybe FIT etc files.

Many open source and commercial ones. Garmin do a tool called Basecamp which I’ve used for splitting and merging before, and can also be used to edit and push routes to a Garmin.

jonathan
    Free Member

Can’t you just upload it to Strava and then trim start and end to the start and end of the segment you want, then upload it again and trim start and end to the start and end of the next segment you want? Bit long winded but it would work fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

They don’t have a solution for this yet, do they?

scotroutes

“They” do.

All the ones that have been previously suggested.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let me clarify that for the terminally awkward.

Have Strava introduced a function on the site to cut the altitude gain from uplift-assisted rides yet?

They tend to slip these things in quietly, I’ve noticed.

STATO
    Free Member

jonathan – Member

Can’t you just upload it to Strava and then trim start and end to the start and end of the segment you want, then upload it again and trim start and end to the start and end of the next segment you want? Bit long winded but it would work fine.

No, you cant upload the same ride twice, at least not direct from the device. Changing the name might work but it seems to spot it overlaps exactly with a ride you have already uploaded. You would have to cut it up outside of strava.

grum
    Free Member

Starting to care about stuff like this is what puts me off using Strava.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

It’s a bit annoying, it’s nice to see how much I’ve climbed over the year so would be useful if they just had an option to not include the climbing ascent and milage for an uplift day.

benp1

I uploaded by BPW uplift day on Strava, including all the climbs and the van miles.

CBA with changing anything, I don’t record any of my short rides so figure’d it would all come out in the wash

bombjack
    Free Member

I’m the proud owner of 2 K.O.Ms on Strava. 1 of which is in the uplift van at FOD. The driver must have had a heavy foot that day 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Using Strava on an uplift day’ is closed to new replies.