Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Using smart trainer to ride a pre-existing route
  • gozarch
    Free Member

According to DC Rainmaker it’s possible to replay and then ride a ride / course you’ve ridden in the real world, using a smart trainer. Has anyone tried this? I can’t quite get my head around what you’d tell the Garmin to do. Workout or course or something, maybe?

chowsh
    Free Member

Bkool will take your route and recreate it from the Garmin file, you then ride it with the laptop controlling the trainer.

gozarch
    Free Member

I’ll be using a Wahoo Kickr Snap, if that makes a difference. Can I use the Bkool app anyway?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munkster
    Free Member

What Garbage, sorry Garmin do you have? I got my Edge 1000 to control my Tacx Vortex Smart on a pre-existing route directly via ANT+ and it was terrible. Very abrupt and disproportionate changes of resistance where I know for a fact it isn’t that hilly. I also found that I had to shut down any other apps that might “take over” the trainer (e.g. Tacx app) or the garmin couldn’t communicate. Not your set up clearly but might be of interest to you or others.

chowsh
    Free Member

Have a look at the bkool website, you will probably need a subscription but you can even video a route and edit it so you can re ride it in VR. I’ve not tried this but it has uploaded my garmin rides. I have the bkool trainer though.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have an I flow and the Tack software and it works quite well!!Not used it in a while but my real life times and my actual times on same route were almost the same. Only difference was on the decents when I could tackle sharp hairpins at 40 mph as the software doesn’t take into acount you may have to slow down.

Climbs were very accurate however time wise however (the flow only goes up to 5 % but it calculates your virtual speed to accomodate this)

munkster
    Free Member

tpbiker how did you follow your routes? Was it via the Garmin? What part did the Tacx s/w play in all this? Sorry to hiijack a bit but as you can see, I’ve been trying to do this too, and wouldn’t be surprised if I’d been missing a trick!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Using smart trainer to ride a pre-existing route’ is closed to new replies.