Using pepper spray on dogs.

Home Forum Bike Forum Using pepper spray on dogs.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Using pepper spray on dogs.
  • UncleFred

I’ve got excitable dogs on a few of my routes, they’re normally free roaming. They seem to like chasing me, always wagging there tails and making all sorts of noise. One particular pit bull cross was looking like it was going to get a bite so I got it in the eyes with Lemon Gatorade. Next time I saw it it ran away.

Couple of times I’ve stopped and got off the bike and that really confuses them. All of sudden this big thing with wheels becomes a human and they know what it is and they generally skulk away quietly.

The majority of Locals are scared of dogs and interesting to watch how the dogs react differently to people that are scared of them to people that take command and show the dog who’s boss. Quite often a dog can be silenced with a stern “shut up” or “go away”.

Premier Icon Shandy
    Subscriber

Just for general knowledge purposes, if you are trying to restrain a dog or drag it off somebody/something, nip or grab it around the hips at the back or under the stomach. Its the vulnerable part of the dog so it gets distracted. My mum found this out after one of her springers was mauled by a couple of chav’s fighting dogs.

Olly

stuff the “putting humans above dogs” thing.

if ANY animal bites me, including other humans, i reserve the right to stamp on its head in self defence.

personally, if im worried about a dog, i ask the owner to call the dog, or make an effort to control it, and if they dont, kick it.

I too like dogs, and dont condone animal cruelty, but you wouldnt let any other animal maul you unchallenged, why any question over a dog because some moron doesnt deem it nessecery to keep an animal thats not properly trained under control
    if the dogs under control, the owner has nothing to worry about.
    if the owner takes sides with an offending dog and attacks you (sheldona), stamp on thier head too.

your higher in the food chain, through the gift of apposable thumbs

{edit} sorry, sheldonas response pissed me off somewhat.
    if youve been bitten, report it, im not sure how many reportings it has to have before it gets put down.
    you could try pointing this out to the owner?
    the dog may have its address around its neck on the collar?
    how about a small water pistol loaded with vinegar?

lyons

rogerthecat – Member
    Jump off the bike and bite the dog first, may not work but it’ll be something to chat about to the guy in the next bed in A&E.

Inspired

desf

sheldona’s responses pissed me off too. Typical dog owner response: “My dog wouldn’t bite anyone”. Surely all dogs are capable of biting? Maybe yours hasn’t done it yet but I bet most dogs owners would say the same.

My kids have been bitten by dogs. in all cases they were minding their own business, not even looking at the dogs. Owners repsonse: Oh, he’s just being friendly”!

In my experience as a walker and cyclist, the most irresponsible people I have met in the countryside have been dogs owners.

Oh and I don’t understand how “If you used it on my dog it would be the last time you ride your bike!” isn’t a threat? Even if said in jest.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

There’s a difference between chased by a barking dog, and as Unclefred suggests, if you actually get off the bike, they’re normally OK, and being bitten, which dog owner threats aside, will result in me kicking it.

Wouldn’t bother with pepper spray though.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

You know, if all dog owners were responsible and kept their Korean takeaways under control there’d be no need for any aggro or macho posturing on threads like this. Easy really.

The Slider

My son’s girlfriend reads power meters for a living and got bit by another dog ‘that never bit before’. 2 days later, as I slowly cycled past an old guy with a walking stick and his VERY old AND fat Labradour it nipped me in the calf drawing blood. I didn’t have a go at the owner because of his age but maybe I should have.
    Never thought a Labradour was a ‘dangerous dog’ before ! Just goes to show there is no such thing as a ‘100% safe dog’ I guess.

G

Dog owners…… don’t get me started GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

On my local ride I’ve seen one wandering past a sign that says “Nature Conservation Area Keep all Dogs on a short lead” whilst saying “oh bless him look hes found something to chase in the bushes” FFS!!!#

I’ve been bitten by an Old English (Dulux) Sheepdog, much to the annoyance of the owner, who apparently thought a cyclist might give it stomach upset or something, and I’ve been taken off the bike at about 25mph by a dog running out in front of me again in an area not only marked as a cycle trail, but also signed no dogs allowed.

Routinely, any ride within 150yards of a road will stink of piss and dog crap, mainly because the idle bar stewards find it too much to walk any further.

I want a campaign to do away with the phrase taking the dog for a walk and to replace it with taking the dog for a Sh !te on someone elses turf…. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

And don’t get me started on the hanging the bag of crap in a tree nonsense,

And before some holier than though todger comes along, I am a pet owner and fully respectful of others on the trails at all times. Is it too much to expect that to be reciprocated with a little consideration coming my way though?

RealMan

forget your pepperspray, shove this in your camelbak.

Premier Icon Shandy
    Subscriber

The trails of Britain are going to witness some ugly scenes this weekend…but then, probably not…

duckers

dog owners see me coming and wait until I have slowed down or stopped until they get hold of the dog so its out of my way. Thick as shit.

Premier Icon bowglie
    Subscriber

Dog owners…… don’t get me started GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

On my local ride I’ve seen one wandering past a sign that says “Nature Conservation Area Keep all Dogs on a short lead” whilst saying “oh bless him look hes found something to chase in the bushes” FFS!!!#

I’ve been bitten by an Old English (Dulux) Sheepdog, much to the annoyance of the owner, who apparently thought a cyclist might give it stomach upset or something, and I’ve been taken off the bike at about 25mph by a dog running out in front of me again in an area not only marked as a cycle trail, but also signed no dogs allowed.

Routinely, any ride within 150yards of a road will stink of piss and dog crap, mainly because the idle bar stewards find it too much to walk any further.

I want a campaign to do away with the phrase taking the dog for a walk and to replace it with taking the dog for a Sh !te on someone elses turf…. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

And don’t get me started on the hanging the bag of crap in a tree nonsense,

And before some holier than though todger comes along, I am a pet owner and fully respectful of others on the trails at all times. Is it too much to expect that to be reciprocated with a little consideration coming my way though?

Well said!

For every one considerate dog owner, there seems to be three selfish ones – what is so bad about having to keep your dog on a lead ffs! oh, but then they wouldn’t be able to use the excuse that they hadn’t seen their dog take a dump.

2hottie

If my dog ever took a chomp out of someone I WOULD be the first to kick the little bugger!! I for one try my up most not to let the dog be a pain to someone else. As for pepper spray some dogs will get even more pissed off if you use it on them. An as for dog shite I hate it as it’s really easy to clean up! I hate the twunts who don’t clean it up!

Premier Icon snowslave
    Subscriber

When I was about 15, this nutty big boy used to try and get me every day on the way home from school, and I always just about out ran him. I finally got bored of this, and came up with a cunning plan. I bought some fairy liquid from the co-op and kept it handy. He charged me as per usual, and as he got within range, instead of running I whipped out the hand softening mother’s cleaner of preference and let him have it in the eyes. He turned from nutty boy into jibbering wreck. Then I whacked 7 bells of the brown stuff out of him. I was like kung fu. He was truly owned.

He was actually in a right old state for quite a while. I know this cos about half an hour later he knocked on our door, still trying to get the stuff out of his eyes, only now he also had a biffed in face. He was actually in a lot of pain and crying. The combination of blood and dirt mixed up all over his face with fairy liquid made him look quite peculiar, what with bright red eyes too. I’m thinking Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now. My mum had to sort him out. Then she very much sorted me out.

Now I am older and wiser, I’d say I learned key lessons from this which might apply here:

1. Squirt ANY beast in the eyes with fairy liquid, and it will be fecked. You will be the daddy. Sorted.
    2. Squirting nasty stuff in anything’s eyes is very serious indeed.
    3. To expect a dog owner see you do this to their ickul doggy and them not want to kill you might be somewhat unrealistic. They’ll go beserk. You’ll need to squirt them too. You will now have a serious situation to deal with!
    4. Mum’s sort out most things. Set your mum on the dog.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

LOL @ snowslave

barca

“They’ll go beserk. You’ll need to squirt them too.”

I didn’t think it possible during a day of utter, utter bollox (I should have been in Wales riding my bike) but that did the impossible and made me laugh out loud.

joe1983

Do we not think this is a bit of an over reaction? Geoff said he had been bitten in the past by one dog and was ‘mouthed’ recently. I’m sure I have fallen of my bike more than twice in the past year, and I haven’t fitted stabilisers yet.

desf

snowslave = genius
    😉

Inbred456

All joking aside if you are caught with pepper spray by plod your likely under the new terror laws to be sent to guantanamo! If you dont like being hassled by dogs the best bet is to ignore them, dont stop and dont engage them, eye contact etc. If you must use something get a small compressed air horn. That will scare the shit out of any dog and not physically hurt it. I walk my dog on many of the trails I ride so I come at this from both sides. Bikes can come up on you faster than you can get the dog on the lead sometimes. I always slow down and will stop if I think the dog is going to get under my wheels. If any MTB kicked or used pepper spray on my dog because it was in the way things would get pretty nasty. Its just a bit of give and take on both sides.

bigdugsbaws

Surprised no one has mentioned the sonic repellants; may be that they are a bit crap. This one is aimed at cyclists/joggers too (not literally :D)

Ultrasonic Dog Chaser

bigdugsbaws

Although if you read the FAQs, it would be useless for dogs that are hard of hearing.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q- Will this work on deaf dogs? – S Lawely

Answer- i am afraid not

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Yay! Another dog related thread where everyone will end up agreeing and go away happy.

Dog owner myself, never been bothered by a dog in 18 years or so of cycling. Suspect they are all out bothering those of you who don’t like them.

Will echo the other comments from dog owners; my pup looks like he’s going for you kick the bugger in the chops. I said as much to one rider a few weeks ago on the SDW as the dog trotted towards him with his cosh (the customary 4 foot long branch he usuallu carries) and the rider replied “You from STW?” as he rode past. funny that.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Using pepper spray on dogs.’ is closed to new replies.