• This topic has 32 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Using own car for a meeting. WARNING – exciting car insurance question content
  • thebunk

Did I say exciting? I lied….

My car is insured for SDP use only, so no commuting. I’ve got to go to a internal meeting next week at another office, and I need to drive.

If I have an accident in my car on the way there or back I’m not covered? Can I get cover for one day, or do I either have to upgrade my insurance to Business use, or get a hire car?

ta in advance for any advice or funny pictures.

spacemonkey

How are they going to know you’re using it for work?

brassneck

My company cover me on some policy, but it’s discouraged – supposed to always get a hire.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

*Usually* it costs no more to put occasional work use on a SDP policy. Give your insurance company a call and if they want more money, tell your company to pay or organise alternative transport?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I really don’t think the insurance company will ask where you were going if you’re involved in an accident.

Anyone ever been asked that? I haven’t.

You could always lie.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well as youre not covered for comuting you’ll have to be inventive to justify why you even had the car in the middle of a working day?

I’m insured SPD&C and business, costs about £15 more per year than just SDP&C.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well as youre not covered for comuting you’ll have to be inventive to justify why you even had the car in the middle of a working day?

Day off?

And why would he not be covered for commuting, that’s standard surely.

bazzer
    Free Member

They will ask you where you have been and where your are going. So you will have to lie. So I guess it depends on if you are happy with that.

Surely you say to your employer that you don’t have a car available for work and its their problem ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You’ll be stuffed if the person you hit takes a photo at the scene and you have your suit on…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tell your company to pay or organise alternative transport?

Not sure about anyone else, but my contract says something like, “if required, to attend work at other local locations”. Which basicly means you need business use insurance.

hels
    Free Member

I had to do this – it’s very cheap, just the insurance companies selling something as an add-on that should be in the policy. And giving themselves an excuse to not pay out…

I think ti was about an extra £1 a year but that was a while back now. The important this is to tell them, or you know what you are tempting….

Gary_M
    Free Member

Last time someone bumped into the back of me midweek lunchtime I wasn’t asked where I was going by the insurance company.

uplink
    Free Member

Add it to your policy and claim it on expenses?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You’ll be stuffed if the person you hit takes a photo at the scene and you have your suit on…

Wedding?
    Funeral?
    Dapper?
    Insane?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Commuting is normally covered and as long as you aren’t delivering stuff then many also cover driving for work. Mine certainly does.

That being said if that really is the situation then I’d say get work to pay for a taxi/hire car or some other form of transport. They’ll be paying the milage anyway as an expese so it won’t cost them too much more.

peterwp
    Free Member

Don’t even take the chance….either expense it or get a car hire (benefit: everyone knows they are fastest cars and you practice handbrake turns etc without ruining your car)

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you’re really worried notify the insurance co of this one off. Get them to put the cost in writing and see if you’re company will pay any extra charges.

uplink
    Free Member

I have a claim form here, one of the questions is ………..

“For what purpose was the vehicle being used”

bazzer
    Free Member

Last time someone bumped into the back of me midweek lunchtime I wasn’t asked where I was going by the insurance company.

I reversed into a post below the rear window level. I was asked where I was from and where I was going. That was about 2 years ago.

mavisto
    Free Member

Officially you are not really commuting as it’s not to a permanent place of work. Going to a meeting at a different office from where you work would be classed as business miles.

If anything happens, you will certainly not be covered by your insurance, if you tell them the truth. If something does happen and you lie, who is to know? Depends on how far the insurace company wants to take it.

If your company is insisting that you go to the meeting and you are not required in your contract to use your car for work, tell them you need a hire car or you can’t go.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Interview?

Some policies now make a difference between Social Domestic & Pleasure, and Social Domestic Pleasure & Commuting; the Commuting bit nearly always means ‘commuting to and from your usual place of work

kevj
    Free Member

I reversed into a post below the rear window level. I was asked where I was from and where I was going.

Backwards?

thebunk

I’m not covered for commuting (as I don’t need it for commuting, and it was cheaper without). Not sure if it would help anyway.

I’m not going to risk not being covered. I wouldn’t fancy lying – especially cos I’d be driving a couple of colleagues!

So basically, hire car or call the insurers. Thanks for your help – you can all go back to talking about bicycles and sunshine!

Drac

No not really people work different hours.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh totally stuffed. Most of you don’t live in the real world do you?

organic355
    Free Member

I have a claim form here, one of the questions is ………..

“For what purpose was the vehicle being used”

driving surely?

EDIT: or dogging?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

When I was with Direct Line they never charged me extra for occasional work use when I asked for it.

grunty
    Free Member

If you are taking colleagues then I would strongly suggest that you get the car covered under business insurance. If you have an accident and they get injured it’s your ass on the line!!

grunty
    Free Member

Oh, and as above, then get work to pay the extra cost in premium or pay for a hire car. Employment law does say that you should not be out of pocket for expenses incurred whilst on business for your employer.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Ring your insurer and ask the question. If they so no tell your company that you can’t use your own car as you are not insured for business use. Unless you ride/walk to work extend your cover to include commute.

God forbide something horrendous happens and you end up in a multi million pound litigation but if you do they will find out what you were doing, and they will whinge on the deal if there is a way out!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Churchill include business cover for free. Others might not be so generous, but it’s not a big premium unless you are delivering or minicabbing.

It’s worth putting it on your insurance and claiming back that lovely 45p per mile.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

The truth approximately – is that if your not at fault the insurance company will not give a damm, especially if a recovery is no the cards and they sell on your pi claim to their panel solicitors.

If you are at fault and its a modest bump, of a few thousands of pounds, again, they simply won’t care much. Its not as if they can get out of it, s152 of the RTA ect.

If you cause a catastrophic accident, causing a huge claim, they will examine everything about you and your policy to try and void it, and refer your claimants on to the MIB.

Spud

Mine is Direct Line and business is covered. Even if I tend an emergency and had a prang, so long as I don’t run blue lights, which I don’t. Next to no cost in addition to SDP&C and required if we use our own cars and claim mileage.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Using own car for a meeting. WARNING – exciting car insurance question content’ is closed to new replies.