Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Using other folks Wifi – disclaimer contract
  • fotorat
    Free Member

I am deploying net books hooked up to a web cam as a quick and covert way to catch nuisance neighbours in the act.

To make sure the net book is working ok, and recording and so that I can control pan/tilt exposure and zoom, I am monitoring them with teamviewer 5, but I am planning to switch to "Go to my pc" soon.

The net books I am using have 3g sims but its not that reliable and in all the homes I am set up in the owners have verbally agreed for me to connect via their wifi router/lan for remote monitoring and control if I need to, and I have stated "verbally" that I wont FTP xxx GB via thier link.

I was thinking that I should draft a Wifi/Lan/Interent Consent form for my customers to sign, which will indemnify me.

Has anyone done this already and can I nick your contract/agreement as best practice!

toys19
    Free Member

Wow this sounds like fun, surely a letter from your neighbours would suffice?

fotorat
    Free Member

no its not my neighours, its a business

MrNutt
    Free Member

isn't that invasion of privacy? why not just sit on an arm chair in their garden?

toys19
    Free Member

Sorry, my bad – but why not a simple letter from them?

NZCol

You might struggle anyway unless all the APs have static IPs. Many dsl will be dhcp and while in reality you'll often get the same address it's not guaranteed so you might lose visibility of them. But anway to answer your question I'd get a lawyer to draft something that states the purpose if your access and that the link will be used only for monitoring and any other use is not yours. Or something to that effect.

samuri
    Free Member

I was thinking that I should draft a Wifi/Lan/Interent Consent form for my customers to sign, which will indemnify me.

Why? What law would you be breaking?

toys19
    Free Member

I think he is worried about if the customers "changed their minds".

snowslave

You are doctor who and I claim my £5.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Privacy laws. Check with a legal person.

konabunny
    Free Member

fotorat – I don't get it. What are you trying to guard against?

The person that's supplying you with internet access cutting you off, so you want a contract that would oblige them to continue providing you with access?

Or you want to reassure the person that's giving you access that you're not going to download dodgy stuff on their connection and get them into trouble?

samuri
    Free Member

Privacy laws. Check with a legal person.

Aah, well that's entirely different from using someone elses internet connection, which is what the OP is asking about. As far as I know, the only existing law relating to wireless access (in the UK) states that it's against the law to knowingly use an unauthorised wireless connection to access the internet, which isn't what's happening here.

That'll be part of the telecommunications act if the OP wants a starting point.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Using other folks Wifi – disclaimer contract’ is closed to new replies.