Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Using non-UST tyres on UST rims
  • jonjones13
    Free Member

Just making my first foray into the tubeless world and have just bought some Crossmax SL wheels. I would like to run them tubeless, but do I NEED tubeless tyres? Can I just use a stans kit (do I need to?) with normal tyres?

Help please…
    J.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

No you don’t need tubeless tyres.

Good article about it on JRA website:

http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=548

mAx_hEadSet

I’ve found with crossmax before going tubeless it was often better to inflate the tyre up to about 70psi when able when fitting tyres which ensured the bead lifted onto a ridge that otherwise would see the bead running on and off and the bead not being even, once fitted i let air out to get tyre back to desired pressure… if repairing a puncture on the trail when getting home would repeat the trick

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spooky_b329

Soapy water will help the bead seat at lower pressures. It’ll also show when the sealant has done its job as the bead will stop creating foam as the air seeps through.

swisstony
    Free Member

I can get my non ust highrollers up on my crossmax xl but i need a compressor and they are also prone to burping if i drop the psi a bit. To be safe i run rim strips from the fabulous JRA linked above.

jonjones13
    Free Member

Stars, the lot of you. MUCH thanks, I’m gonna go for rim strips and some sealant, just to be sure.

Thanks,
    Jon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Using non-UST tyres on UST rims’ is closed to new replies.