Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Using map function on smartphone abroad
  • pebblebeach
    Free Member

Whenever I go abroad I always switch data roaming and mobile data off. But with mobile data on would I still be able to use maps or sat nav not using 3G/data allowance?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I use Route 66

You can download the maps and store them on your phone so you don’t need data when abroad. All free as well.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Thanks, Is that android only? It’s for an iPhone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pebblebeach
    Free Member

When I say ‘maps’ I should have clarified that I meant using as satnav not for viewing them.

So for example using something like copilot or a GPS tracking app for running.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I used Skobbler’s GPS Navigation 2 for navigating from Calais to a mate’s in Germany. I think the app itself was free and I paid £4.99 for all of Europe. You then download the countries you’ll be going through to your phone and it doesn’t use any data (it may use some for locating you before a route or something, but that’s a bit geeky for me). I think NavFree has the same thing.

As far as GPS tracking for running is concerned, I have no idea.

cranberry
    Free Member

With Co-pilot you would have the maps already downloaded on your machine.

GrahamS

For GPS tracking for running and nav on foot etc then try MotionX GPS.

It lets you select a large area of map to download while you are on wifi.
    I do this before going on holiday so I always have a handy pocket map of the area.

Cougar

GPS does not use data (other than a tiny amount optionally to help the initial satellite lock).

Satnav software might use data if it has to download map tiles or traffic data. This is wholly dependent on what software you use.

Easy way to find out is to switch off your data connection and then try it here. (I’m assuming you can do that on an iPhone)

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Recent experience using Android is that I was charged additional for data as the overseas use was not included in my contract.

It wasn’t cheap, £40 over 2 weeks and covering 2500 miles.

Main advantage was typing in campsite names and the satnav system being able to identify them.

Worked brilliantly across France and Spain.
    As mentioned above, no idea on the iphone.

jam-bo

New maps app does a good job of caching data.

footflaps

Whenever I go abroad I always switch data roaming and mobile data off. But with mobile data on would I still be able to use maps or sat nav not using 3G/data allowance?

Would depend on the exact app. You can’t stop the iPhone Maps app from updating the maps, although wit iOS6 it is supposed to be very frugal with map downloads as their new Vector maps are so small it caches a large area for you. (Not tried it myself, I’m staying with Google Maps and iOS5).

NB Normally when I travel, I just buy a local PAYG SIM and stick that in my iPhone, then use as much data as a like….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can confirm that on iphone , mapmyrun , strava , endomondo all function in a tracking capacity with data off. Tested in ukraine, west africa , texas, california , holland and france.

Google maps used to work fine for navigatiom if you plotted the route while on wifi and then jumped in car.

JulianA
    Free Member

Navfree stores all the map data on the phone: switch off data and it’s still fine. iOS and Android available…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Using map function on smartphone abroad’ is closed to new replies.