Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Using an Android phone as a wifi repeater?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is there an app or way to do this? Our wifi router is at the front of the house but our bedroom is at the back, and we get really poor wifi signal there.

I know I could buy a better router. I know there are hardware repeaters. I know I could get the cable company in to fit another phone line in the middle of the house and get the router repositioned. But I’m being cheap and figured there must be a way to use my android phone with wifi to bounce the signal and give me better reception at the back of the house on my tablet.

Any ideas or just cough up and do it properly?

GrahamS

Seems to be ~£20-30 for a proper wifi repeater. Personally I’d just go for that.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Furry muff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spectabilis
    Free Member

No u can’t do it on a phone. A repeater needs two wireless chips receive and transmit

stever
    Free Member

It would drain your phone in no time in any case. I put a 25 quid repeater in my office before Christmas and it’s just worked since then. I’m cheap too.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So it’s as simple as plugging one part of the repeater into the rj45 socket and plugging in the receiver on the other side of the house? Guess I’ll look on eBay and see if I can get one sorted. Linksys / Cisco or cheapy Chinese jobby?

clubber
    Free Member

It can be simpler than that – you have a box that isn’t physically connected to anything other than a plug for power. It takes your existing wifi signal and just duplicates it which effectively extends the range.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got a Netgear Universal WIFI repeater off ebay so will give that a whirl.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Using an Android phone as a wifi repeater?’ is closed to new replies.