Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • using a paperclip as a spacer between cassette sprockets – ok?
  • Premier Icon Markie
    Free Member

Because I’m pushing the limits of DH a spud, I’d like to run a 7 sprocket 10 speed cassette.

To this end I bought an Ultegra 11-28 and an 18 sprocket. I figured I’d put it together as 11-13-15-18-21-24-28.

What I hadn’t figured is that the 11t has a built in spacer which nestles inside the 12t but doesn’t sit high enough when shoved up against the 13t (which is itself indented to let the 12 nestle in it!).

Cassette spacers haven’t helped because their diameters are too great – they sit on top of the sprocket rather than just inside.

I went to an engineering supply place today and they suggested wire. Specifically, a paperclip! I have assembled the cassette and the paperclip I used fits perfectly widthways in the gap between the inside edge of the 12t and freehub. It may leave the 11t a teeny bit low (I mean close to the 12t), but with a slightly slimmer 11 speed chain I think this won’t be too much of a problem. It’s a bit short as it wraps round the freehub which means that it’s not supporting about 1 spline of the 11t. Might this be a problem?

What’s my worst case scenario? I kinda figured it was locking the rear wheel when the chain gets stuck between 11 and 13, but keen to know what other think?

Do paperclips come in different lengths and diameters? Anywhere (hello Captain!) to get a sample pack to see if another size fits better?

Thanks!

Premier Icon Swirly
    Free Member

Not fully understanding what you’re doing however I would imagine wire from a paper clip will rust like nobody’s business.

Maybe some fuse wire could work. This is copper I believe. Also comes in different (gauges) thicknesses.

Good luck + ride safe.

Premier Icon joebristol

This might be a stupid question but why didn’t you just buy a sram gx DH 7 speed cassette when they only cost £25?

Premier Icon simondbarnes

They only work when stationary

Premier Icon dumbbot
    Free Member

^^lol…You win the internet today simon

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

simondbarnes
    They only work when stationary

Listens carefully. Hears rimshot.

Premier Icon Markie
    Free Member

😀

Sensible question on the GX. It’s because I’m a spud who overthunk things the wrong way.

This will be the first time I’ve had gears since ’96. We do a lot of family cycling and I’m fine keeping up on the South Downs and indeed anywhere off-road, but as soon as we’re on roads (even dirt ones) or cycle trails I’m now left in the dust!

Last summer we toured down the Danube, following much the same route as a large group of German cyclists. My daughter still laughs about them shouting ‘der papa on der kinder bicycle’ at me as I hamstered past trying to catch up / keep up with the family!

Gears are obviously the solution (I’m as MTFU’d as I’ll ever be!)and I decided I wanted the range 11-28. Which is a bit ridiculous as it’s not hills that are the problem, it’s the flats!

TLDR; I should have bought the GX.

As it stands, I’m on the hunt for fuse wire today, thanks all!

Stationary!!!!

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Stationery?

Premier Icon simondbarnes

^^lol…You win the internet today simon

No really, stole it from elsewhere and got the spelling wrong 🙂

Premier Icon Greybeard

I’d get some of that rigid clear plastic used for the front of packaging with card on the back – the kind they use to package scissors, except you need scissors to open it. It’s very tough, just cut a packer to shape, and add more layers as necessary. Corrosion proof, and unlikely to distort; I suspect copper wire could flatten itself.

Premier Icon antigee

someone had to do it…hum this when get going:

;

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.