Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Using a Garmin 500 for running?
  • jobro
    Free Member

Anyone ever popped their Garmin in a pocket to track a running route?
    I know they do running specific watches but that’s just another costly gadget and I can’t really see why I can’t my 500 and download it as a run.
    Any experience?
    Thanks

petrieboy

I’ve got an 800 on the bike and a 310xt for running so no need to, but I believe the quick release kit for the 310xt gives you a wrist strap that has the twist lock fitting to suit your 500.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Not a 500 but I used to log all my runs on my 800 which was zipped onto a SPI belt. Always worked flawlessly so I imagine a 500 would too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

I think you can get a wrist strap for the 500.

AngusWells

I do. I bought a Garmin Forerunner 201/301 Quick Release Mounting Kit (it’s actually a watch strap with a 1/4 turn mount) from Amazon (I can’t get the link to work so you’ll need to type it into Amazon UK) and I can wear the 500 like a watch. You end up with the GPS at 90 degrees to where you’d ideally like it but I never notice the weight (minimal) or bulk. I can still check time and distance as I go and there’s a more reliable signal than having it in a pocket.

AngusWells

Amazon Garmin Link Worked this time. As ever with Garmin the accessories are a bit over-priced for what they are.

jobro
    Free Member

Many thanks for your help and observations.
    Great link Angus. Cheers

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Before I got a Forerunner 101, I used a basic velcro watch strap and a standard Garmin mount with the smaller elastic bands. It worked, although probably not as well as the “proper” accessory.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My 500 is very hit and miss running. Sometimes it records the route correctly, other times it makes a real mess of it.

Ive tried it in pockets, holding it, and in a phone holder that goes on your arm. IMO if it isn’t the right way up, as on a bike it can be hit and miss…

Flaperon

My 500 was also a bit useless running. The 800, on the other hand, was much better but uncomfortable on a wrist strap. In the end I used to wrap a rubber band around my hand and clutched it while I ran. Which still sucked.

Bought a Forerunner 220 a month ago and wish I’d done it months ago.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Looking to get into running a bit more after this years race season, I’m a little confused as to why a watch strap for a 500 wouldn’t be suitable/as good as forerunner?

Flaperon

The GPS reception always seemed to be patchy – it’s absolutely bob-on while on the bike mount, but when running it would record weird paces, the position would flick from one side of the road to the other and it regularly took massive short-cuts that I didn’t.

I think the filtering algorithm for recording data is tuned for bikes, and swinging it back and force doesn’t help.

The Forerunner also gives you stride and cadence metrics, pretty good reception, and is barely noticeable. A really useful feature is that it can be set to vibrate when it needs your attention (lap / pace / heart rate etc) which makes for a far more pleasant run than with something bleeping at you.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Interesting thanks Flaperon, out of curiosity what happens if you use your forerunner on the bike? Think I’ll get an armband for my phone to start with see if I enjoy running quite as much as xc.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

My 500 has been fine for running – only a couple of route fails. Might get a forerunner though, just a little less bulky.

paul4stones

My xt310 works fine on the bike, either worn as a watch or attached to the bars.

ali69er
    Free Member

I agree with all of the above about the reception and recording being a bit iffy especially when put on strava. However, I recently rode in dense forest and it was a bit off too. Furthermore, I find stopping and starting in another location, like not wanting to record the uplift bit or something causes it to mistrack.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Using a Garmin 500 for running?’ is closed to new replies.