Using a Bash and a N-gear jump stop to keep the chain on my one ring.

Home Forum Bike Forum Using a Bash and a N-gear jump stop to keep the chain on my one ring.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Using a Bash and a N-gear jump stop to keep the chain on my one ring.
  • Mackem

A quick search suggests that my chain should be pretty safe doing my mince-core-lite-xc riding if I keep my middle-ring and use a N-Gear jump stop thing and a bash on the outer.

Anyone using exactly this setup and can confirm things will be ok.

Cheers.

cupra

Yes and yes.

Premier Icon ctznsmith
    Subscriber

Your first issue may be finding someone with stock of the N-gear jump stop. Distributor has none and no eta, and I can’t seem to locate any.

Any one know an alternative?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Deda Dog Fang? Not really designed for single rings, may work.

There appear to be Jump Stops on eBay.

tang

Got mine from Billy’s bmx. It works! Someone off here did a neat mod by bending the top over some more.

RDL-82

There’s that new Hope one, a lot more expensive no doubt!

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG430

Keva

yep, been using that set up for several years on one of my bikes, works fine. Little bit of adjusting on the JumpStop now and again that’s all.

Premier Icon ctznsmith
    Subscriber

Billy’s say ‘special order’ aka no stock with them or distributor.

gasyz

I’ve just orderd one of these.might do the trick
    http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk

svalgis

Used that setup and it worked great. I bought the jump stop direct and would certainly do it again. Just send an email to Nick and he’ll sort you out. You can even try it before paying.
    http://n-gear.com/orders.html

I’ve just orderd one of these.might do the trick
    http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk

I’ll be interested to hear how that performs. The N-Gear has never dropped the chain whilst riding but occasionally in muddy conditions the chain has come off whilst pushing back up the hill.

TheGingerOne

I’ve got one (n-gear) and a bbg bashguard that I used on my Tinbred which I could sell for the right price 🙂

Mackem

Cheers for the info….

That Radium thing looks canny.

Ginge. What’s the “right” price?

Out of curiosity I’ve just flipped my N-Gear so the front part (which is nearest the chainring) is less easily deflected. Should collect a bit less mud too.

TheGingerOne

Mackem – I’ve emailed you

eugeo81

I got a spare brand new n-gear too if anyone’s looking for one – small size for inbred frame (28.6mm)

Update on flipping the N-Gear: If you ride a steel framed bike and pedal hard, it will get caught on the chain as the frame flexes under stomping, bend itself completely out of shape and cause your chain to explode, and you’ll have to coast/pump your way home…

anotherstan

n-gear jumpstop/ bashguard on 2 bikes, el guapo and tinbred. been on the tinbred for at least 2 years.
    no issues at all.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Yes and kind of.

Had that set up on my C456 hardtail and bashring stopped the chain jumping off one way fine. Jump Stop generally worked the other way, but a few times I’ve had some kind of chain suck it would jam itself under the stop despite only a mm gap between stop and chain. Everything tightened up very well.

Though more recently it caught and yanked the stop round the seat tube. Just must be a hell of a force involved as physically can’t shift it with my hands despite a lot of brute force.

Still, a rare occurrence and with some adjustments and/or the frame type and design it may just work fine for you. Guess depends on chain suck potential, frame flex or whatever.

Add a clutch mech though and bet you have no problems at all.

Mackem

That’s the way I’m going. Ordered my Zee mech today. Think I’m going to use the Raidium thing and a bash. It just looks “right” to me.

I’m going to try without anything other than the chainring first, If I hardly drop the chain then I’ll not bother with owt else.

gasyz

I,ve got an outer bashring a 32t (none ramped) on-one stainless chainring and a zee clutch rear mech.still waiting for my Raidium inner guide to turn up.If it works ok it will be a nice cheap set up.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

works better if you modify it

Jump stop by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

bri-72

Raidium – I’ve been using one for about a month. No jumping chain issues at all and really can’t fault it. Unless ur DHing cant see why anyone would bothers with a ‘proper’ chain guide.

Rickos

Radium is good. Worked on my Chameleon but rubbed the chain stay on my BFe, so check it fits first.

rootes1

Your first issue may be finding someone with stock of the N-gear jump stop. Distributor has none and no eta, and I can’t seem to locate any.

Any one know an alternative?

I email n-gear direct asking how to buy – what just turned up in the post (had my workaddress on the email)…

odd..

then I thought I better send some money… via paypal..

never got a single email/comm from the whole process very odd..

anyhow n-gear + bash works a treat

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

rOcKeTdOg – I did think of doing that. Makes more sense. Might slap it in the vice and give it a bend.

Got no bash now as moved my spare X0 cranks onto the hardtail (yeah yeah, I just have spare carbon cranks lying around 😀 ), and it’s got a DH spider on it now and no bash option. Looks better without a bash, but there’s nothing to stop it jumping outward front now. A might end up with a clutch mech on there. Got one on the full sus and it’s great, but the mech on the hard tail has got plenty of life left in it.

Though with the Jump Stop modified like that, the chain shouldn’t be able to bounce up enough to roll off whatever direction. Hmm, going to give that a go!

Ordered a Raidium having just mangled my N-Gear this evening but now I’m not sure if I’ll have clearance for it on the Soul…

Mackem

FWIW I ended up going for 2 BBG rings (with a ZEE mech), so far so good…

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

did you have to space these at all? wondering if i can just lob the 64bcd on the inside which it looks like you have? i already have a bash on the outside…
    you have the light one there as well, by the looks of it?

Mackem

No spacing at all. Yeah, got the lightweight one on the inside.

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

I used the N-Gear and a BBG bash for a while – worked well. However, the Paul Components chainkeeper is a lovelier, beautifully made product:

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Using a Bash and a N-gear jump stop to keep the chain on my one ring.’ is closed to new replies.