• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Uses for old laptop (or strip for parts?)
  • IHN

So, old laptop screen has died, new laptop bought.

The ‘guts’ of the old one still work pretty well, so I’m thinking of connecting it to to the telly for watching iPlayer type stuff, and possibly DVDs too.

The other option is to strip the HDD out and use it a standalone hard drive for backups and stuff.

Any other imaginative uses for the whole thing or it’s constituent bits?

Cougar

Is the screen dead or can you see a faint ghost image?

IHN

It cuts out/’scrambles’ every so often. Give it a wobble and it’ll usually come back. It used to happen occasionally, now more and more. Looks like a dodgy connection, probably from *ahem* carrying the thing by the screen.

It can probably be repaired, obviously, but a brand spanking HP (that you kindly recomended) was only £280.

Grizla
    Free Member

I replaced a screen in my laptop.
    Cost ~£60 for the screen and took a few minutes to change.

The old one just unclipped and unplugged.
    New one plugged in and clipped in. Pretty simple stuff.

Edit: just noticed that you said you’ve already got a new laptop.

Cougar

Probably just a worn-out cable, then; the constant movement will have frayed the insulation / cracked a wire. It shouldn’t be too difficult to repair, if a) you can find a replacement and b) you have use for a second machine.

Did I? Cool, hope you like it then. (-:

IHN

b) you have use for a second machine.

This would be the fourth machine in a household of two people:

1 – My new laptop
    2 – Her laptop (which only really get used for entirely legally acquiring internet film and TV show content)
    3 – A little netbook I have
    4 – The slightly knacked laptop in question

So, I don’t need it as a laptop, but am happy to use it or it’s parts for something else.

Cougar

Cash Converters?

Many laptop parts will be proprietary. The RAM might be transferable to another laptop if it’s the same speed and there’s a free slot, and the optical drive and hard disks will be standard. Other than that, there’s not a great deal of scavengable use really.

IHN

Yeah, that’s kind of what I thought.

Guess I’ll go back to plan A and either plug it into the telly permanantly or strip the HDD out and bin it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Uses for old laptop (or strip for parts?)’ is closed to new replies.