Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Used Strava for the first time….
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Used Strava for the first time yesterday on a reasonably gentle ride. Turned it on and pretty much forgot about it and rode just how I wanted. However when I finished I though I would check some section times. When I saw the times I suddenly went from not being bothered to getting this very strong competitive feeling. For example I wasn’t happy that someone was faster down the top section of Jacob’s ladder yesterday… My time barely made it in the top 100 on the all time list for that section. Before Strava I wouldn’t have cared now it pisses me off that “Dan Rigler” whoever you are beat me yesterday.

Now I’m getting this strong urge to go out and set better times.

Is this what Strava does to people?

kendo954
    Free Member

Only weak minded people

nuke

Uh oh! …Better get out there and show them who’s boss! Get out there, be safe and have fun!

deviant
    Free Member

As a training aid it is useful, likewise when evaluating bike parts to see if they have made your bike faster or a whole new bike against previous personal bests etc etc….but if other people’s times bother you that much go racing instead.

siloseven
    Free Member

If you’re in the top 100 down any of the popular peaks descents than you’re doing pretty well I think.

thepurist

Remember that the only times you can trust are your own. Everyone else cheats, they either take short cuts, use depo, or are just plain fitter and faster than me. All cheating.

richpips
    Free Member

My time barely made it in the top 100 on the all time list for that section.

You mean top 1000?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

thepurist I like your mentality but it doesn’t reduce the fact that I feel like I want to go out and beat them…

richpips – Member

You mean top 1000?

No I mean in the top 100 more like in the top 90 but guess that doesn’t really matter.

the-muffin-man

I use it to gauge my personal performance and record rides/runs and miles. I don’t care if I’m 1st or 250th on a segment as long as I’m happy with my own performance.

devash
    Free Member

I did the same a couple of weeks ago. Was very anti-Strava until I found out that I could upload rides from my Garmin eTrex.

There’s a very steep fire road climb on my regular ride and there seemed to be quite a bit of competition going on for the KOM so I decided to have a go as its a hill that I usually fly up. Was really chuffed with myself after finding out that I was the new KOM by 20 seconds although the ride was cut short as I bonked pretty hard by the top of the hill. 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much,

Scares me how many PR’s I’m setting with the Fatty though, rationally it shouldn’t be faster than my other bikes either on a loop of Swinley (probably a rigid HT should win that) or on individual sections (150mm FS)!

Nice to see a move up the leaderboard, although I do wonder how unfit some people are if even at 100kg and on a Fat bike I can repeatably set top 1/3rd times!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Now I’m getting this strong urge to go out and set better times.

Is this what Strava does to people?

Wait until you get a top ten and that KOM is within touching distance.

I like it, I’m usually happy if I can get within the top 10%, unless^ happens.

Wait until you get a KOM and it inevitably gets taken at some point. Then the red mist descends 😉

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Not sure I will be getting any KOM for a while.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

Ah, back in the day I used to get KOMs. Then other people started using Strava too…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ah, back in the day I used to get KOMs. Then other people started using Strava too…

+1, dam northerners, I had loads around Teesside form a work trip when Strava first turned up, until they got electric lighting and mobile phones.

I need to get this one back – it’s eating me up

10secs – I can do it!

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Out of interest is that descent and the ride it is on good? I’m always riding south of Matlock or North of Castleton starting to wonder what I’m missing in the middle.

frOsty125 – there’s loads of good stuff round Matlock/Darley/Chatsworth/Bakewell – that descent is just a green lane, rocky and loose at the top, fast and pedally at the bottom. There’s a better cheeky one through the plantation – I’m 2nd on that too, but never had KOM – my mate has that by 2s

Plantation

*edit

You are more than welcome to follow me on Strava (Dave Marshall) if you want to check out some routes. We have Thursday night rides, but I’m never there at the moment due to working away – we also do South of Matlock – Shining Cliff, Chevinside etc.

You don’t even need to go North of Castleton either – todays ride from Fox House is a classic

Blacka/Stanage etc

Just out of interest – who’s Mick C that’s just started following me?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I ride Black Rocks, Crich and Shining Cliff quite a bit followed you (I’m not Mick C) maybe we can ride together you sometime.

richpips
    Free Member

No I mean in the top 100 more like in the top 90 but guess that doesn’t really matter.

Really?

https://app.strava.com/segments/927041

fr0sty125
    Free Member

https://app.strava.com/segments/7138339

This one, I stopped before the end of that segment finishes so I didn’t record properly 😉 Next time I will finish at the gate so it works propperly.

jam-bo

He still took 10s out of you which on a minute segment is pretty significant. If you use the compare tool he was consistently pulling away from you the whole time.

zippykona

I consider it a safety thing as I used to time my commute using endomondo and once the red mist descends would not ride as defensively as I normally would.
    Strava means I ride safely and just make the effort on the climbs .

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Yeah the guy is way faster than me I don’t think that is a fast run for him, his best on that section is a 1:01 and is 5th on the all time list.

Still doesn’t stop me wanting to see if I could get into the top 50, might be possible was only the second time I’ve done the ladder this year.

richpips
    Free Member

See if you can get in the top 50 up Jacob’s 😉

https://app.strava.com/segments/729850

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hahaha no way I’m one of the slowest climbers you will meet. Much happier going down and cruising up.

kerley
    Free Member

I find it adds a healthy bit of competition and motivates me to try harder, get fitter etc,.

I always ride on my own so that extra motivation is a good thing. I am an XC rider who goes out for 1-2 hour blasts so suits me perfectly.

Although as I insist on limiting myself with a single speed my top tens and KOMs are pretty much uphill only.

jools182
    Free Member

Strava – just like cycling with less fun and added stress

njee20
    Free Member

That depends why you enjoy cycling doesn’t it? I love it, but totally get why folk don’t, and I’d never let it interfere with a ride, either solo or group.

kerley
    Free Member

Guessing you have never encountered actual stress then if you count Strava as stressful….

lightning
    Free Member

Make sure you look at your age group as it gives a better indication of how well you are doing.
    I am 52 and there’s no way l am going to come near the times of 22 year old Club riders.
    But if l look at the age range “45-55” l find that l’m actually doing pretty well.

jools182
    Free Member

Guessing you have never encountered actual stress then if you count Strava as stressful….

I’d give up guessing then

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

the op has had his inner monster awakened by STRAVAAAAA!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Used Strava for the first time….’ is closed to new replies.