Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Used SLACK AND LONG FS frames?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Got an On One Deedar running 150mm pikes at the minute but looking for a full sus frame with similar Geo in 27.5/650b second hand – any recomendations? Calibre triple b looks good but anything else? £400 ish
    140/150mm rear travel

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno how slack and long a Deedar is, but maybe look at older frames that were designed to allow sizing up.

So if you are a medium-sized person, a large Transition Patrol would fit fine and give a healthy reach figure.

The Kona Process 153 is another good example. Not the best pedaling bike but amazing fun.

iamanobody
    Free Member

i’m 6ft 1 🙂

ayjaydoubleyou

I know I’m a Bird fanboi, but original Aeris?

140 or 150 travel, suited to 140 to 160 fork, 142 rear axle. At the time it was pushing the edge of long and low, would probably be bang on average LLS 2020 all mountain bike going purely by the numbers.

Only bike I regret getting rid of.

Transferable warranty too. Sure I saw a frame with shock up for £350 the other day.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Bird is a better shout, yeah.

stevextc
    Free Member

Transferable warranty too.

Only up to 2yrs ruling out the original’s. HOWEVER

Sure I saw a frame with shock up for £350 the other day.

Knocking off £100 shock value that’sa only £250 of risk/use.

iamanobody
    Free Member

That woudl e my ideal bike tbh!! Been offered a calibre bossnut v2 for £200

iamanobody
    Free Member

oh and 31.6 seat post is a must!

joebristol

Original Bird Aeris is a good shout – I doubt you’ll get the newer 145 version for £400 with a shock (I sold one in the last week for £675 frame / shock).

In a similar kind of vein you could look for an airdrop Edit v1 – they’re a similar sort of age to the mk1 Aeris I think – 150mm rear travel and not as long as the current Aeris / LLS bikes but still pretty modern.

Bossnut is nothing like either of the above 2 options – or at least the older ones with straight tubes weren’t (think the new bendy tube one is a bit longer / slacker than the older version).

But you’re comparing the frame of a bike costing £1k there with frames that cost more than that on their own when new.

iamanobody
    Free Member

bossnout after looking at geo is shite

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

would probably be bang on average LLS 2020 all mountain bike going purely by the numbers.

I don’t thing things have gotten that long quite yet.

Have a go on a Bird if you can. I had a fairly brief play and yes it’s amazingly capable (I’m 6ft and was riding the 500mm reach L version), but it’s a different feeling to riding a more normal ~475mm Large frame. It’s so stable you’re pointing it at stuff and it just deals with it. Probably amazing when you’re knackered 10 minutes into an Enduro stage at mach 2 and hitting rock gardens blind. Day to day though most manufacturers seem to still be making bikes consistently shorter.

Especially if you’re coming off a DeeDarr which isn’t all that long.

iamanobody

bossnout after looking at geo is shite

That’s pretty much the opposite of every review of it, ever.

Even if you think the reach is on the short side by bleeding edge standards, the longest size is 35mm longer than your Dee Darr.

joebristol

Bossnut is a quite middle of the road trail bike in terms of geo – and think the older ones are 9mm QR rear axle. The Aeris and Edit are more Long trail / enduro bikes. Slacker / longer / more travel / more robustly built. If you compare the swing arm and bearing size you will find the Bossnut looks a bit weedy.

The only Calibre that would get close to what you want is the Sentry – but that’s a 29er.

iamanobody
    Free Member

ridden the bird quite a few times and love how it rides – just super spendy!

joebristol

You might find a Nukeproof Mega from a few years ago within budget as another option…they sometimes come up on eBay and they are pretty capable

iamanobody
    Free Member

I saw one earlier but was a size medium 🙁

joebristol

Vitus Sommet worth a look?

stevextc
    Free Member

ridden the bird quite a few times and love how it rides – just super spendy!

I paid £250 for Jnr’s MK1.5 and £300 for mine. Both were mint, mine had a Hope BB and headset and invisiframed, Jnr’s had a CC headset. 216×63 shock … I got one CC DB air for £109 and paid about £100 for a RS Monarch+ … (ebay). I already had a few 216×63 anyway but they go for peanuts in the new metric world!!!

joebristol

There is a large Vitus Sommet frame on eBay for £470 buy it now – but with a bidding auction for less on it at the moment. Just lost the link and cba to go and find it again but looked ok.

spacey

There’s a Bird facebook group that these come up for sale on pretty regularly, sure there was one one that went for about £300 not so long ago. Worth a look, great bikes.

bruneep
    ayjaydoubleyou

would probably be bang on average LLS 2020 all mountain bike going purely by the numbers.

I don’t thing things have gotten that long quite yet.

Have a go on a Bird if you can. I had a fairly brief play and yes it’s amazingly capable (I’m 6ft and was riding the 500mm reach L version), but it’s a different feeling to riding a more normal ~475mm Large frame. It’s so stable you’re pointing it at stuff and it just deals with it. Probably amazing when you’re knackered 10 minutes into an Enduro stage at mach 2 and hitting rock gardens blind. Day to day though most manufacturers seem to still be making bikes consistently shorter.

The current model has pushed things further, but the OG Aeris – which is what you’d be getting for <£400…

To compare to the 2020 Bronson [did we establish in the other thread that SC are middle of the road, rather than pushing the envelope], both size large

Bike………2015 Aeris…..2020 Bronson
    Wheel base…..1207………..1215
    Head angle…..65.5………..65.4
    Reach……….468…………459

Actually still a longer reach on the 5 year old bike

honourablegeorge

I need to get my Geometron G16 frame cleaned and sold…..

dai3015
    Free Member

I’m going to putting my Voodoo minustor (same as zobop) up for sale this weekend. Upgraded fox DPS shock, £300

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Used SLACK AND LONG FS frames?’ is closed to new replies.