Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Used short travel (100-120mm) 29er suggestions
  • andyl
    Free Member

Really not enjoying hard tails with my back any more and never really gelled with my Solaris like I have my other bikes so it’s time to strip it and build something else. Not really clued up on short travel 29ers from the last few years so looking for some suggestions on what to look for.

Looking for something with a decent long top tube but playful to make XC/trail rides fun. Low standover would help as I have friends borrow my bikes when they come to stay so could do with suiting riders from 5ft6″ to 5ft 9″.

Solaris is a medium and I ride a medium Bird Aeris with a 170mm dropper. Previous Scandal was 16″ but a bit short (mk1).

Ideally non-boost so I can re-use my wheels and 120mm Reba fork but I am open to rebuilding the wheels or fitting a boost conversion. 1x specific is fine.

tomhoward

There’s a Pivot Mach 429SL frame and fork in the classifieds. They are ace, but it’s boost, and probably a bit big for you 🙁

breadcrumb

I went from Solaris to a Whyte t129. I think 2015 and earlier are preboost but don’t have the best tyre clearance.
    I’ve a boost model and it takes a 2.3 Minion but I think it would struggle with anything wider.

Whydot

I picked up a 2017 Transition Smuggler after my Sentinel got nicked. First impressions are pretty positive, it’s not dissimilar to my MK1 Solaris, but slightly more relaxed. Seems plenty poppy and adequate for Peak District/Derbyshire riding.

Pretty reasonable price second hand as well, there’s a few bargains about.

cp

I’m a big fan of Giant Anthems. Mine’s 2013 so not quite the most recent thoughts on geometry, but for quick XC/trail I think it’s near perfect.

mattbee

If you find a Devinci Atlas for sale snap it up. 110mm rear travel, approved for up to 140mm front, dw link rear suspension with mega short chainstays. It’s an absolute blast to ride.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I had similar motivations to the OP and got a Smuggler frame for cheap. It’s fun to ride and more capable than the 115mm travel it has. May be a bit bulky for your needs and would benefit from longer, beefier forks than 120mm rebas.

jonnyboi

Santa Cruz Tallboy, go for the MK2 from from 2013-2017 (IIRC) and you have a very, very capable bike that will take your Reba just fine and has 142x12mm rear spacing for non boost wheels.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Giant Anthems. Mine’s 2013 so not quite the most recent thoughts on geometry, but for quick XC/trail I think it’s near perfect.

Thinkng of selling my 2018 Anthem Advanced. Carbon mainframe, carbon rims, SLX rest. Size large. Very light, very fast along and up….

submarined
    Free Member

Not wanting to pee on a sale, but the OP explicitly states he wants something with a long top tube and low standover, that kinda instantly rules out an Anthem.
    Smuggler would seem ideal if you can deal with the heft.

chakaping
    Free Member

Smuggler is one of the obvious options for a non-boost frame with decent length (get a large), but I don’t think a Reba would be a great match. I had a Fox 34 at 140mm on mine (with angleset) and it was great – but not light or particularly sprightly to pedal.

The Whytes also seem heavy-ish, but I gather they pedal quite well?

Possibly the first Orange Segment?

andyl
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, Whyte 129 was on my radar, good to see I am not far off the mark with that one.

Orange Segment was also in my mind

Anthem – I thought they might be short too. Did try one quite a few years ago. A 29″, short travel version of my Bird Aeris would be perfect.

Smuggler – like the look of that. Could get new forks but want to try and keep this one low travel

Will check out the Devinci – looks interesting

Saccades
    Free Member

Segment is ace (your riding sounds similar to mine) but the MK2 is boost.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not wanting to pee on a sale, but the OP explicitly states he wants something with a long top tube and low standover, that kinda instantly rules out an Anthem.

Yep, fair point well made. I wasn’t going to mention it until someone else mentioned Anthem.

TBH I don’t have a scooby what the top tube length is. I know it reaches all the way from the seat tube to the head tube on my version, so it must be quite long?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Used short travel (100-120mm) 29er suggestions’ is closed to new replies.