Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • used iphone 3G or new cheap Android
  • ampthill

I fancy giving the smart phone thing a whirl. Looks like ebay is full of old iphones, presumabley supply s good as people “up grade”.

Looks like £120 will but a used iphone 3G on o2 (o2 is fine)

A wildfire s is £170 new pay as you go

so look slike the iphone is a good deal?

Or am i missing something?

fd3chris
    Free Member

If you are new to smart phones an iPhone is a good ease into them. In the long term a modern android phone will teach you much more and be more impressive to use. what what do you think you will use it most for?

Cougar

3G or 3GS? The latter’s still about viable, the former I wouldn’t touch with a sticky stick.

Orange Monte Carlo, sir?

ampthill

Use

Might go for the organiser as could really do with that at work. Bit of web work wifi or 3G. Used the camera on my old phone a fair bit. Sadly lost it on Friday. I did use the gps for some ride logging.

My sister os on a 3G she says its a bit slow launching stuff but does the job

Creg

Having owned the old 3G I would say Android. I had a 3G that had been updated to iOS4 and it was a nightmare to use due to being unbelievably slow. I looked into rolling it back to the older iOS3 but apparently most of my apps would stop working so I didn’t even bother trying.

I have only played with Android phones (friend has the HTC Wildfire) but found it a lot quicker and better to use.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Orange Monte Carlo, cost me exactly £76.99 thru Quidco cash back (offers finished but might be others), nice big screen and it does everything. I’m on a steep learning curve at the mo.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I would suggest the android as it will have a longer lifespan for you and be much nicer to use.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If I were buying an iPhone now and expecting to keep it for anything longer than year i wouldn’t consider anything less than an iphone4. Don’t honestly know how they compare with android phones so won’t make a blind judgement on that.

stevomcd
    Free Member

In the long term a modern android phone will teach you much more and be more impressive to use.

Sorry chris, but that made me genuinely LOL! 😆

BE IMPRESSED AS I WIELD MY SMARTPHONE WEAKLINGS! I HAVE LEARNED MUCH FROM THE WAY OF THE ANDROID!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

3G is now slow my wife is getting mine…

cynic-al
    Free Member

compare used iphone to new android?

*thinks about weeping, has better things to do*

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I have a 3G and would say don’t bother getting one – it was a great phone 3 years ago but it is now getting quite obsolete

stumpyjon

Agree with all the above and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I ditched my iPhone 3G last weekend, got an htc sensation, the difference with the 3G is astounding. Older iPhone also have a tendancy to slow down, loading apps etc.

Assume you’re going pay as you go? Might be worth a contract, had my iPhone on O2 PAYG, cost me £ 10 per month for a data connection alone, calls on top. The HTC was only £ 30 on a 2 year contract at £ 27 per month. Already finding I’m using significantly more data than with the iPhone as the internet is now actually usable.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

If your only alternative to the iPhone is the Wildfire, I’d go for the iPhone… you will get frustrated, if you’re going for a HTC, In my experience; has to be Desire or upward… Had the HD- replaced a 3G and was duly replaced 2 weeks later by a 3GS, was great bar the awful battery life. If you can get a good deal on a Sensation (as above ^) or a Desire HD, even better, as shops are going to try and make room for the newer Sensation XE and formerly the HD, in anticipation of the Sensation. You’re bound to get a good deal if you shop aboot.

You can’t go far wrong with an iPhone, and as long as you don’t download ludicrous amounts of apps, it runs very smoothly. Only real downside being the lack of compatibility with the latest software, ie. from iOS4.3 upward 😕

Cougar

you will get frustrated, if you’re going for a HTC, In my experience; has to be Desire or upward

So what you’re saying is, as a bare minimum, don’t get a phone that’s more than 18 months old? Sage advice.

ampthill

Hmm too much to think about

problem is wanting the world but not wanting to really spend money

I could go contact at say £20 a month. I currently top up £1o for the data but don’t use the money on calls.

Over 2 years

wildfire at £170 and £10 a month is £410

Contract at £20 per month is £480 so its still more even with a free phone

But I’ll look out for sensation and desire deals

gohan
    Free Member

i have a 3G and i love it but with ios4 its a nightmare and will shortly be rolled back to 3.something and jailbroken, next phone will be android and soon as value of the 3G is just going down

ampthill

Money has been spent. I’ve got a samsung galaxy ace which was £130 PAYG. very happy with it.speed
    Seems fine. No flash or iplayer but that’s ok as a way of saving money

prettygreenparrot

Don’t get the iPhone 3G now. The 3GS is OK though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘used iphone 3G or new cheap Android’ is closed to new replies.