Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • USB adapter randomly dropping wi-fi connection?
  • chiefgrooveguru

Help! Following my last set of computer challenges (which turned out to be due to the old wireless adapter causing the computer to crash) I got a new wi-fi dongle thing. It’s a Tenda W900U (I’d never heard of them either but it was very well reviewed…)

Anyway, when it’s working it’s fine. The blue/green LED flickers blue as data moves and green when it isn’t doing anything. Then at completely random intervals (from 10 minutes odd to a few hours) the LED stops flickering blue and just stays steady green and my computer tells me it has no wireless connection.

I’ve checked the drivers are up to date and that power saving is turned off but it’s still doing it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 9020 (got it last summer, end of line discount but no bloody internal wifi card!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is the router OK ? Have you tried a different channel on the router (lots of visible networks in your location ?). Have you tried it with an Ethernet cable ?

chiefgrooveguru

Router is fine with the other computer and all the smartphones. We have tons of visible networks here, literally dozens! How do I change the channel? I’m sure ethernet would be fine but the reason for the dongle is to avoid running a really long cable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chiefgrooveguru

Anyone? I thought STW was entirely populated by IT managers (apart from me, unfortunately…) 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘USB adapter randomly dropping wi-fi connection?’ is closed to new replies.