Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • US Police Brutality: Elijah McClain
  • mikertroid

In the aftermath of the George Floyd death, a previous case has come to my attention:

Elijah McClain killing

Reading and watching about it has utterly appalled me. I pretty much can’t think of much else at the moment, it’s been so heartbreaking.

Here are some links to a Petition and fundraising site for justice to be served.

Petition

Fundraiser

Please share the hell out of this; it’s unbelievable in this day and age. 😕

#justiceforelijahmcclain
    #blacklivesmatter

Premier Icon ajaj
    Subscriber

A case in which an independent inquiry cleared all those involved?

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

Well, if the US justice system said that there wasn’t a problem then it must be fine.

mikertroid

Quite unbelievable isn’t it?!

The ‘independent’ inquiry was far from being independent and hardly an inquiry…

Read the details.

Cletus

Deleted

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Depends on your definition of ‘independent’.

It’s convenient that, as if by magic, all the officers’ bodycams fell off during their assault.

Wearing a balaclava or ski mask in Colorado in August is odd so fair game for a stop.

I guess the thing to do is not resist arrest. I certainly wouldn’t even if totally innocent. If you’re alive you can proceed with a claim for wrongful arrest with over zealous restraint etc. etc..

An independent inquiry ruled no wrongdoing so that’s that.

Loughan

While tragic for the family let us not forget there are more local initiatives to support which will directly benefit the UK
    https://www.stephenlawrence.org.uk/

Premier Icon hamishthecat
    Subscriber

Wearing a balaclava or ski mask in Colorado in August is odd so fair game for a stop.

I guess the thing to do is not resist arrest. I certainly wouldn’t even if totally innocent. If you’re alive you can proceed with a claim for wrongful arrest with over zealous restraint etc. etc..

An independent inquiry ruled no wrongdoing so that’s that.

Wow…

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Thats the whole point – even if you do not resist and comply in the the US if you are black you still end up dead

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

I guess the thing to do is not resist arrest. 

And what if he DIDN’T resist arrest? Because I’ll be honest with you – I’m mighty cynical about anything an American police officer says in regard to a dubious fatality right now.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I don’t think he did resist arrest did he?

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Or reach for the officer’s gun?

It’s the classic ‘I need to justify beating the shit out of/killing an unarmed civilian’ playbook.

mikertroid

He was listening to music (I’ve always got headphones on and often walk/dance in the street)….’tensed up’ when grabbed (who wouldn’t?!)…didn’t reach for a gun…was pleading for his life whilst trying to breathe…

No cause to stop either. No crime committed, other than to be ‘different’ (his own -final- words) and to be born with the ‘wrong’ colour skin.

There’s no argument whatsoever that this was homicide and it’s all on camera, which is deeply distressing to view.

Premier Icon ajaj
    Subscriber

No cause to stop either

The whole thing started with a member of the public who was concerned enough to call the emergency number.

If the Police had ignored it and something bad had happened then the press and Internet would be full of people complaining “the Police were warned and did nothing”.

mikertroid

….so that justified what happened?!

@ajaj you need help.

The police should have watched, maybe followed. By rights, I should have been stopped multiple times, I’m always wearing hats all year round and listen to music and prance around (here and in the US)….but I’m white.

But the difference is we have thorough (not perfect, I accept) vetting, proper training and accountability. All lacking here.

HughStew

“…a 911 caller had reported a “suspicious person” in a ski mask…”

Assuming that this actually happened was this someone seeing a black man and thinking there’s a suspicious person.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

If I felt like I was about to be choked to death, I reckon my attempts to resist that would be pretty violent, too.

mikertroid

If I felt like I was about to be choked to death, I reckon my attempts to to resist that would be pretty violent, too.

Indeed, however listen to how articulately he tried to reason with them….he wasn’t resisting other than trying to breathe. Poor soul.

Premier Icon ajaj
    Subscriber

….so that justified what happened?!

I didn’t say that. Obviously what happened was a tragedy.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

And THAT is the whole problem. Having rogue dangerous cops is one thing, having a system in place that protects and exonerates them is the institutional racism that people are campaigning against.

mikertroid

@ajaj….therefore there simply was no reason to physically intervene. Properly trained police would watch before inflicting violence.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Bodycams are “supposed” to be there to protect the police. They should lose some protection if they “fall off”, some sort of presumed liability. And if a whole bunch of them all “fall off” while someone’s being killed, then that’s presumed homicide and presumed conspiracy to cover it up.

mikertroid

Anyway, I’m not here to justify the petition, it doesn’t need that. I’m here to ask that if it strikes a chord with you like it has me, please share and let’s see justice served to those that killed him.

Maybe the police in the US might start realising their career as government hired thugs is over and you can’t defend the indefensible.

Klunk

The whole thing started with a member of the public who was concerned enough to call the emergency number.

what like this ?

inkster

As with so many of the pilice killings, justice should be served to those that killed him and those that aided and abbeted in killing him, those who conducted the ‘inquiry, coroner’s who seemingly work for the police etc.

Perhaps our local statistical wizard (Tired) could calculate the likelihood of all three police cameras falling off at the same time, or we could just correlate it against the number of actual reported flying pigs. Presumed liabillity indeed.

US police are armed like the military ‘act’ like the military but are not trained like the military or subject to court martial like the military.

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

I think the a stage police training in America is into double figures of weeks but not by much. Clearly more than enough…

mikertroid

Not enough weeks….that’s for sure!

A (white) colleague was stopped by a policeman in Miami whilst in a hire car; he’d screeched his tyres pulling out on to the main road from.the hire place as he’d not got used to the car yet.

Said it was all he could do to de-escalate things…the copper was literally spraying spit in his face..😬

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.