Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • US may repeal e-mtb legislation
  • jimthesaint

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Outside Magazine

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Linky no worky

madhouse

I’m happier about the potential of it stopping oil exploration in the artic.

cookeaa

Holy misleading thread title Batman!

E-mtb access is probably a long way down the list of concerns there.

TBH if the side effect of stopping a massive illegal land/extraction rights grab is a few tubby dentists no longer being able to trundle around some woodland, I actually reckon it’s a price worth paying…

jimthesaint

cookeaa – I agree that outcome is good news for American public lands. I’m not sure you fully read the article though.

The pertinent points of the article are:

William Perry Pendley’s tenure running the Bureau of Land Management was illegal and immediately ordered an end to his authority. The decision has the potential to invalidate hundreds of decisions issued by the agency, dating all the way back to July 2019, when Pendley first assumed the role.

The actions threatened by the ruling include everything from oil development in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR), to a new rule that permits electric bicycles to be operated on federal lands, and even mineral extraction on lands that used to be a part of Grand Staircase–Escalante National Monument. It’s potentially an unraveling of nearly every anti-public-lands, pro-extraction effort taken by the Trump administration over the past 14 months, and the ramifications of all that go much further, too’.

‘Perhaps the most interesting part of the ruling, though, is what comes next. Morris has given both the DOI and Montana Governor Bullock (who brought the suit) ten days to file briefs explaining what aspects of Pendley’s work at the BLM should be retained or further litigated’.

In essence every decision made by the Bureau of Land Management in the last 424 days has been deemed as illegal. If the Governor of Montana or the Department of the Interior don’t ask for e-mtb access to remain then it will be removed. This can potentially have big implications on the demand for e-mtb’s in the states and therefore the willingness for bike brands that sell into states to develop and market them.

TheGingerOne

I live in a proper country and ride a proper bike so it is of no concern to me 😁

hols2
    Free Member

The decision has the potential to invalidate hundreds of decisions issued by the agency, dating all the way back to July 2019, when Pendley first assumed the role.

American law is complex. Some things are federal, some are state level. Some are covered by legislation, some by executive orders (with state and federal courts reviewing everything). Technically, this doesn’t seem to be legislation, just executive orders. These can be overturned or reinstated by a new administration.

Just because there are potential problems doesn’t mean anything will change overnight because the process of making executive orders is bound up in red tape. Decisions that had been in the works before that date and were based on empirical research will probably stand, for example.

TheGingerOne

My less sarcastic answer is that the European market for e-bikes e.g. Germany especially is so large that I doubt it would have any effect on many brands to be of issue

cookeaa

Nope, I did read it.

Let’s be fair, the (probably not that significant) damage to SBC and Co. flogging e-mtbs to dentists and stockbrokers is still outweighed significantly by the social and environmental benefits of reviewing/repealing a year’s worth of illegal activities… E-bkes aren’t that important.

And it’s still only a maybe at this time, they won’t just unwind the whole smash ‘n’ grab, there may be some level of reviewing…

It takes a special mindset to zero in on E-bikes as being the burning issue in all of this, they’re a footnote at best.

molgrips
    Free Member

I live in a proper country and ride a proper bike so it is of no concern to me

I on the other hand give a shit about the actual earth we live on, so it does concern me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘US may repeal e-mtb legislation’ is closed to new replies.