Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 213 total)
  • US gun violence
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So with all of your firearms experience you know that there’s almost no way anyone can legally own an AK-47 in the states? In most states they can own generic semi automatic AK lookalike variants but almost no one can legally own a full auto 7.62 AK-47 without extensive FBI and ATF background

Modifying a trigger group isn’t hard….but I didn’t say full auto did I.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

They might not be as bad as we were or the Septics but that still don’t make them the good guys.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I find them more benign than the yanks.

jimjam
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Modifying a trigger group isn’t hard….but I didn’t say full auto did I.

If you weren’t trying to deal in hyperbole you would could/would have written “semi automatic rifle”. Anyway, you are are constantly evading any rational reason for owning a firearm as per the standard STW befuddlement at US gun policy.

If you lived in rural USA why wouldn’t you hunt for meat?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Does this men the all the Ar15 variants are not actually Ar15s because they do not have the automatic fire option either?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That’s not a need for protection, it’s for pleasure. I would, but a bolt action – locked away in an armoured guncase… like a civilised person.

Like you can here.

jimjam
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

That’s not a need for protection, it’s for pleasure. I woukd, but a bolt action – locked away in an armoured guncase.

Okay so just to clarify, if you lived in the states, you’d own a gun?

giantalkali
    Free Member

Do hardened Mexican criminals abide by the laws of legal AK47 ownership?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why would you only own one in the states?

jimjam
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Why would you only own one in the states?

We’re discussing gun ownership in the states. Just to clarify, if you lived in rural USA you’d own a gun, right?

giantalkali – Member

Do hardened Mexican criminals abide by the laws of legal AK47 ownership?

Why so racist?

giantalkali
    Free Member

The inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov made gun and named it after himself as he had a dead hard name, it’s a real shame the inventor of the AR15 / M16 didn’t do the same…

Like, hey man…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why not, but we are talking about ownership for defence…. presumably you’re reason for doing so based on your past posts.

Owning a firearm for hunting purposes is a totally different ballgame.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member
    jimjam
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Why not, but we are talking about ownership for defence…. presumably you’re reason for doing so based on your past posts.

You construed it as such. Did you bother to read my post or did you just zero in on some imagined point you disagreed with and decide to challenge me in order to make some kind of virtue signal to fellow forum members? Is the thread specifically about gun ownership for defence?

Owning a firearm for hunting purposes is a totally different ballgame.

Hence the diversity of opinion among gun owners in the US. Seriously.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    He did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_63

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Well, bugger me. I’m off to get stoned.

EDIT – 100 million AK47s produced vs 4000 Stoner guns, I’m allowed not to have heard of them.

Murray

Watching John Wick for the first time. I now understand the personal defence argument.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The idea of being helpless and at the mercy of someone because they have a gun and I don’t does not appeal to me

O RLY? Jimjam…. above quote begs to differ… you essentially addmited there that you would own a gun for defence.

jimjam
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

The idea of being helpless and at the mercy of someone because they have a gun and I don’t does not appeal to me

O RLY? Jimjam…. above quote begs to differ… [/quote]

Which was a actually a direct reply to your, selective or shall we say myopic post wherein you ignored an entire paragraph and tried to start an argument.
    You seem to have some kind of aversion to admitting you would own a gun if you lived in the US. As if you’re embarrassed to type the words. I have no problems stating that if I were to move to rural USA I would own a gun, and I would like to hunt to provide ethically sourced meat for my family. I also feel no qualms about saying that if I lived in a nation awash with firearms I would own a firearm for home protection. A fairly large number of forum members keep some kind of lethal weapon near hand just in the off chance a bad actor should break into their house.

I don’t care what way you choose to colour that for forum prestige points.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You said you’d own one if you moved to the states, why not here? The only added excuse stateside is defence.

Unfortunately the forum doesn’t have karma/prestige points like reddit…that’d be quite fun.

jimjam
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

You said you’d own one if you moved to the states, why not here?

Because the only thing I can legally hunt as a food source here (without considerable litigious difficulty) are the rabbits on my land. I can’t really eliminate supermarket meat buying and replace it with rabbit meat, whereas I could actually do that if I had access to deer, elk, moose or pig.

The self defence aspect isn’t bourne out of some deep harbored desire to shoot people, rather out of an honest assessment of being helpless as an unarmed man in the face of men armed with guns in a country awash with guns, as per my earlier posts.

I’ve posted before that I don’t conceal weapons I wouldn’t be comfortable using – that’s because I do not want to kill people, or cripple them with dangerous weapons. I feel the same way about guns but if I was confronted with the likely reality of dealing with home invaders armed with guns I would have to be rational and respond in kind to at least create a stalemate.

Again, many people on this forum seem okay with braining people with a cricket bat or iron bar, in case they meet a more aggressive person with similar weapons. The same logic applies to guns

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Again, if that genuinely worried you – you would be better off just armouring your house.

jimjam
    Free Member

Right so how much armour do you put on a house to make it capable of hunting wild game?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

lol wut.

Would you use a pump action shotgun, glock or an AR15 for hunting elk?

Or are you going to swing a great big **** deer rifle around in your house, when being burgled?

wiggles
    Free Member

Does this men the all the Ar15 variants are not actually Ar15s because they do not have the automatic fire option either?

AR-15 is the civilian (semi-auto) version of the m16/m4 essentially as far as my limited knowledge tells me.

wiggles
    Free Member

Would you use a pump action shotgun, glock or an AR15 for hunting elk?

There are plenty of AR15 varients that would be capable of that…

But I am getting on the wrong side of the argument here.

Me think guns bad

Leku
    Free Member

Watching John Wick for the first time.

Just sleep with a pencil next to your bed. #homesecuritysorted

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

And they have long barrels, weigh 10lb and fire 7.62 and will pretty much make an utter mess of your house and anyone behind a light wall.

Brilliant idea.

Whyyyyy. The whole idea is bonkers.

Northwind

Tom_W1987 – Member

And they have long barrels, weigh 10lb and fire 7.62 and will pretty much make an utter mess of your house and anyone behind a light wall.

Yup. Like I say, wrong tool for home defence. And wrong tool for hunting. And wrong tool for absolutely anything apart from fighting a war, blazing away cheap walmart bullets at the range/back lot, or standing around feeling awesome because you’re a big man with a big gun. And yet it’s the US’s most popular rifle (in fact 4 out of the top 5 most popular rifles are an AR platform rifle)

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, just don’t excuse it by saying “home defence”, it’s like buying yourself a rail dragster and saying it’s to drive to the shops.

And if you feel like you have to lie about your reasons for buying it, maybe you should think again about the purchase. If your home ever does get invaded, you’ll wish you’d got that Remington Police or M&P the shop told you to get.

sbob
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Do they now…

Interesting that US burglary rates are lower than UK though, isnt it?

Wasn’t there a thread where we kept our resident fascist troll holed up?
    Who let the bugger out?

wiggles
    Free Member

Even if they do have less burglary I’d rather have more stuff nicked than people murdered seems a decent trade off.

tonyg2003

Funnily we’re talking guns and I had a couple of conversations today with normal ‘Mercins about how they would like to come to London but were put off due to the immentient risk of dying in a Muslim terror attack.
    I did point out that they would be much more at risk of looking left rather than right at the roadside when in London. The sarcasm and appreciation of what relative risk was missed on them.

So much of the rest of our conversation here is overblown about the risks of gun crime in the US.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Overblown?

Europe 0.027 deaths per 100 000 due to terror

US 10.54 gun deaths per 100 000

Not even comparable, Yanks really do have their heads in cloud cuckoo land if they are scared of UK terror risk.

porter_jamie

@Tom AR15 are 223. AR10 are 308/7.62

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yes, I know that.

You shouldn’t really be shooting elk in the USA with. 223 though. The minimum is.. 243 or 6mm.

.308 seems to be the go to calibre for largish game in the US if you want one gun to cover most uses.

porter_jamie

243 in the UK generally centrefire in the us

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So much of the rest of our conversation here is overblown about the risks of gun crime in the US.

Stat after Vegas shooting was you are more likely to die from a gun in Nevada than in a car crash.
    It’s a significant number of lives being ended for no good reason. At some point in the future people will be Sat in front of inquiries and in court rooms trying to explain their actions in terms of selling and gun laws. It’s the same as smoking

crankboy
    Free Member

Ninfan the interesting difference between us and UK burglary rates may be down to the difference between how the us and UK define a burglary:
    “The breaking and entering the house of another in the night time, with intent to commit a felony therein, whether the felony be actually committed or not.[4][5][6]”
    Will produce a lot fewer offences than section 9 of the theft act which covers any building at any time of day and some shoplifting.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Cranboy, you’re engaging ninfan using logic, you’re crazy man – don’t do it. You weren’t in the Brexit thread man, you don’t know!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muYm5x8DyLA[/video]

geetee1972
    Free Member

US 10.54 gun deaths per 100 000

Not even comparable, Yanks really do have their heads in cloud cuckoo land if they are scared of UK terror risk.

See this is a good example of how the data is rarely used correctly. That figure of 10.54 includes suicides and isn’t remotely the figure for gun homicides, which is what we are talking about.

The US gun homicide rate is 3.6 per 100,000, still considerably higher than the UK’s 0.06 but relative to other countries it’s nothing like as high. Argentina’s rate is very similar, I don’t know why more isn’t made of that.

wiggles
    Free Member

He clearly put gun “deaths” not homicides so that isnt the statistics being used incorrectly it is you not reading correctly.

Argentina’s rate is very similar, I don’t know why more isn’t made of that.

Because they dont claim to be a superpower setting an example/invading the rest of the world and are a considerably less developed country…

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘US gun violence’ is closed to new replies.