Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 213 total)
  • US gun violence
  • frankconway

In the first two days of this month 63 people in the US have died in gun violence; that’s more than the total who died in the LA concert incident last year.
    If that rate continues it will result in 11,000 deaths.
    That is all.

wiggles
    Free Member

It`s ok because the NRA will fix it by making sure more people have guns…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Guns don’t kill peop…….oh yeah.They do.
    Sliiightly sweary
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0[/video]

mattyfez

Didn’t armed toddlers cause more accidental death in America than Islamic terrorism in 2017?

Priorities.

frankconway

matty – not aware of that but wouldn’t be surprised.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bell ends.

Them lot, not you lot.

CheesybeanZ

And Trump still survives.

funkmasterp

Didn’t armed toddlers cause more accidental death in America than Islamic terrorism in 2017?

Looks at angry toddler. Not quite sure they will all have been accidents.

plumber
    Free Member

At Christmas we were invited to stop over at a friend ranch near Portland

within that bedroom there was a sniper rifle and scope on tripod and a hand gun

all loaded and ready to go

these were what I would call professional white ‘normal’ Americans

Absolutely nuts

kerley
    Free Member

And Trump still survives.

I do find this amazing. All those people around with guns and only one attempt I am aware of.

I was hoping he would be shot in the crossfire of a multiple shooting that he seems to dismiss so readily.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They have a scheme in the USA called the NRA Roundup. When you buy anything from a gun shop you are invited to round up the bill to the next full dollar then that extra bit of money goes into an endowment which is used to pay to fight challenges to the second amendment.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Father had a fun whilst were lived in deepest Florida, I found it and took it out to show my mate and we shot it at an Harvester Ants nest (huge domes)
    Hilarious.
    I was 12.
    Not angry, nor angsty, just a normal kid who’d found his Fathers gun.

scruff9252

It really is mind boggling. America was often seen as “the most developed country etc…” However, with the emergence of the internet and the free flowing nature of news coming out of America it really paint it in a different light.

Issues such as gun rationality, quality of their news outlets, workers rights, food quality, health care, social welfare, education let alone politics! It’s less first world, more third world developing nation stuck in the dark ages, just with better telly.

franksinatra

But as long as they keep the Muslims out they will be fine

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

It’s third world with electricity

P-Jay
    Free Member

America was often seen as “the most developed country etc…”

A few mates to live there don’t agree, NYC yeah, LA for the most part, some of the other major cities, yeah if you want to see how life could be in other cites around the world in 10 years, see what NYC is like now.

Vast swathes of the place are pretty undeveloped though, honestly a lot of it would struggle to complete with Eastern Europe.

whitestone
    Free Member

just with better more telly.

FTFY 😆

There was a programme on last night with Miriam Margolese (sp?) going around the USA. She was in Chicago in one of the less attractive areas shall we say. Shortly after she left the area (videos had been posted on social media of her talking to one of the local gang members so they’d got out quick) her bodyguard returned to pick up a vehicle and in the interim there’d been a shooting there with one dead and two injured. Everyone else from kids to pensioners was just carrying on as if nothing untoward had happened.

We see the headline figure of X thousand murders per annum but I’ve not seen (or looked TBH) that broken down. I wonder how much of it is gang/drug related.

Freester

It is far too deep rooted to change.

I have a very good American friend from when I spent some time over there. Ex-army Pilot and now a dentist. A decent kind guy. A family man.

BUT don’t mention tightening of the gun laws. There is no reasoning with him on that discussion. It’s just encroaching on an American’s perceived hard won civil liberties and freedom.

It may be obvious to us. It ain’t obvious to them. It’s not just the Southerners, the Rednecks, the detached Mid-West or the NRA. There is a whole load of ‘normal’, ‘professional’ people that need their whole mindset changing.

midlifecrashes

Chicago is unreal, though if you’re a couple of miles outside the hotspots, you’re unlikely to see any of it.

http://heyjackass.com/

And apparently Kinder eggs are banned in the US because they are a choking hazard.

priorities

indeed

geetee1972
    Free Member

The US doesn’t even get close to having truly bad gun homicide statistics compared to the countries at the top of the table and yet you only ever hear about the US’s problem.

Why is that?

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s all fine, any minute now the Good Guy With A Gun is gonna turn up and make it safe for everyone

geetee1972
    Free Member

For example RSA’s gun homicide rate is almost three times that of the US but no one ever mentions it. Brazil’s is six times and El Salvador’s is 15 times. Why does everyone only ever talk about the problem in the US?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Why is that?

Because the US see’s itself as a model for the rest of the world, sells it’s values and tells everyone how important they are invades countries that don’t agree with them.
    They are the most developed country at the top end of that list. They are nearly 5x that of France etc.
    Or to address the whataboutery is the US rate a good thing?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why does everyone only ever talk about the problem in the US?

Why don’t you tell us.

whitestone
    Free Member

@geetee1972 – maybe because they claim they are a civilised country? When compared against European countries they are in a league of their own. Many of the countries at the top of the list are effectively lawless or have large parts of the country that are not under control of central government/law enforcement.

Looking at the list (nationmaster) there’s quite a few that have long running internal civil conflicts so that could make a difference. For instance Yemen sits just above the USA. That site also just shows “intentional homicide” so accidents aren’t counted.

pk13

that hayjackass site is amazing I love the graphics.
    but Chicago is roughly the same size as brum? one shooting every 2.1\2 hours don’t they go to bed or have weekends off.
    young black men are mostly the victims I’m sure they are NRA supporters

geetee1972
    Free Member

No I think the US does have a problem with gun crime but I think the motivation for focusing on it is part of a much broader anti US sentiment that seems to be very fashionable these days.

As an interesting alternative perspective consider that it’s possible the US doesn’t have a gun crime problem so much as it has a violent crime problem. And then ask why the US, the most developed country in the world, does indeed have this issue.

I was reading about the Gini co-efficient recently and it made for interesting reading. The problem the US has versus say any country in Europe (Switzerland is a good example where gun ownership is very high but gun homicide almost non existent) is massive wealth inequality.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As an interesting alternative perspective consider that it’s possible the US doesn’t have a gun crime problem so much as it has a violent crime problem. And then ask why the US, the most developed country in the world, does indeed have this issue.

It has irresponsible gun laws.
    It has a military grade police force who shoot first and ask questions later
    It has a massive racism problem which fuels a huge amount of assumptions about people

funkmasterp

And then ask why the US, the most developed country in the world, does indeed have this issue.

Parts of it are well developed, but not the country as a whole. Mad gun laws, vast differences in wealth and little mental health care provision aren’t signs of a well developed country IMO

whitestone
    Free Member

I think Canada has a similar gun ownership figures to the USA but the murder rate is closer to European rates. So there’s definitely a cultural/social element.

I’m not anti US (I work for an American company for a start) it’s more exasperation that a supposedly advanced society is not only unable to recognise that there’s a problem but that it almost pointedly refuses to address any of the issues leading to that problem. The current administration’s recent “successes” like the tax reform bill and attempts to repeal the Affordable Health Care act actually exacerbate things.

shermer75
    Free Member

Why is that?

Developed country innit.

TheWrongTrousers

Isn’t it all a bit Darwinian ? Eventually they’ll all kill each other and the problem will go away.

aP
    Free Member

but Chicago is roughly the same size as brum?

It’s two and half times bigger than Brum, but about the same size as the West Midlands.
    I can remember going to a barbeque at the home of a well respected IIT professor back in the late 80s. He had a rack of guns in the basement of his “school of Mies” house, and was mid way through filling shotgun cartridges before the BBQ started properly. I have friends that shoot and can’t imagine that they’d ever display the same attitude to casual gun use as large numbers of Americans do. And don’t get me on the merits of “concealed” versus “open” carry…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh and more from the developed world
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-04/oregon-gas-pump-law-change/9304840

“I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can’t even,” he wrote.

The change will be instituted in counties with less than 40,000 residents with some areas now allowed to fill their petrol tanks any time of day, and others will be restricted to self-service only between 6:00pm and 6:00am, The Washington Post reported.

But petrol stations will not be forced to install self-service pumps.
    and in comparison
    https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/oregon/

slowoldman

That’s about normal isn’t it?

Cougar

No I think the US does have a problem with gun crime but I think the motivation for focusing on it is part of a much broader anti US sentiment that seems to be very fashionable these days.

I suspect that a far more likely explanation may well be “who gives a shit about El Salvador?”

Population of Honduras, 9 million.
    Population of the US, 326 million.

That’s why we focus on the US.

deker
    Free Member

frankconway – Member
    In the first two days of this month 63 people in the US have died in gun violence; that’s more than the total who died in the LA concert incident last year.
    That is all.

How many wee with legally owned guns? you can’t just bunch it all together with criminal activity as that’s another issue completely

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/
    Why can’t you? a prevalence of guns is the issue. It leads to more guns with people who are scared of filling their petrol tanks, it leads to cops with more reason to shoot unarmed australian women in their PJ’s, it leads to more and more dead people

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘US gun violence’ is closed to new replies.