• This topic has 272 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 273 total)
  • US Election
  • Northwind

surroundedbyhills – Member

I see Trump is now claiming fraud, going on the defensive and fueling the “Washington is just for the elite” conspiracy nut jobs.

It’s not fraud but he’s got a point, Cruz’s tactics were pure shitebaggery. Though it’s kind of ironic that after months of him being an obvious shitebag, a little lie on election night is what’s finally convinced lots of people that he’s a shitebag.

dazh

So anyone betting on a Sanders vs Trump election? Incredible to think about it. For some bizarre reason I almost feel sorry for Clinton, in the same way that I felt sorry for Burnham. What should be her cast iron chance of the presidency is disappearing on a wave of anti-establishment sentiment. She has a habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Long way to go yet though, and a lot of mud to be slung and dirty dishes to be washed in public.

ChrisL

Some commentators have been suggesting recently that if a Trump vs Sanders election is looking likely, Michael Bloomburg will stand as an independent and presumably pitch himself as a sane middle-ground candidate.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Coowee did you catch Trump yesterday ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

US election… has suddenly become interesting. 😯

konabunny
    Free Member

if a Trump vs Sanders election is looking likely, Michael Bloomburg will stand as an independent and presumably pitch himself as a sane middle-ground candidate.

Apart from the fact he essentially bought his way into office through sheer wealth (!), he was a very good NYC mayor. However, my concern would be that he would split the Democratic vote while Republicans recoil from his gun-hating, gay-hugging, cosmopolitan, “New York” (ie Jewish) values…and that leads to President Trump.

Much better is if Trump is not nominated, stands as an Indy and splits the (Cruz?) Republican vote. Then it will be full-on Nelson Muntz time.

jam-bo

Also, even older story but I reliase there is a lot of love for the Princess Bride on here it seems: have we done this one?
    Mandy Patinkin on Cruz missing the point about Inigo Montoya

well I’ve learnt something new from this thread. Saul was Inigo. I’ve watched all five seasons of Homeland wondering why he looked familiar.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So its not just here that gesture politics can get our of hand

The US dreamnightmare gets ever closer!

yunki
    Free Member

DrJ

Jesus Christ, yunki 🙁

yunki
    Free Member

Whut? Let’s make America great again

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yunki you look a lot like that Donald Trump fella from America, the dude with the moody syrup.

This thread is making me crave hot wings 🙁

nickc

Bear in mind though that Iowa and New Hampshire aren’t massively representative of the US as a whole; Iowa full of farmers and NH is pretty much Saunder’s back yard, It’s like predicting a Labour Landslide by looking at the results from Luton.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Question is could Sanders actually win (the presidency, not the candidacy)?

If he runs against Trump, then definitely. Trump is such an imbecile he’ll be found out. Not all of America is as stupid as the Trump supporters, fortunately.

I remember the exact same being said about Bush. And they voted him in. Twice!

LHS
    Free Member

It is an embarrasing sideshow for American politics and really will not reflect what will happen at the Election.

The GOP are in a mess which is playing right into Hillarys hands apart from that Bernie guy is making her and the democratic party nervous because they know that just like if Trump is the GOP candidate, the GOP won’t win and Bernie will not hand victory to the democrats. Trump is a so extreme, he will be trounced at the Election (don’t let a few squirrel kickers fool you differently). Bernie is so far left (for US politicis) people will be frightened for their rights.

So if it is Bernie vs Trump, Bloomberg will win, which is what he secretly has his fingers crossed for in the wings. Bloomberg is just about the right mix of weird right and weird left politics to appeal to the middle ground who are sprinting away from disassociated themselves with Bernie or Donald.

dazh

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/23/donald-trump-wins-nevada-caucuses-results

Trump looks unstoppable now 😯

I think I’m beginning to understand what it must have been like to be a liberal in Europe in the 1920s. The parallels are stark. I’m not saying Trump is a genocidal maniac, but he clearly has a cast-iron, and unjustified belief in his rhetoric. The only question is whether he’s just saying this stuff to win, or whether he’ll actually implement any of this should he become president? And meanwhile all rational and level headed people around the world have their head in the sand thinking it will never happen.

mikey74
    Free Member

I can see a lot of Americans abstaining in this election which means it could go either way, based on who people hate least.

Whoever gets in, you can guarantee that the first mid-terms will see both houses go against the incumbent.

MSP

And meanwhile all rational and level headed people around the world have their head in the sand thinking it will never happen

I have said several times, the short term pain of a Trump presidency, could be a good thing for world politics. It could end the American political philosophy imperialism that we are currently suffering and create a stronger and more humane political movement with the US on the outside.

dazh

It could end the American political philosophy imperialism that we are currently suffering

You think the US will become less imperialistic with Trump as president? His entire philosophy is based on projecting American power into all corners of the world so that they become ‘winners’ again.

MSP

You think the US will become less imperialistic with Trump as president?

I think the rest of the world is more likely to turn its back on US political ideology with Trump as president.

jambalaya
    Free Member

unjustified belief in his rhetoric

@dazh what on earth makes you think is belief is unjustified. Trump has far more credibility with his supporters than do his opponents, this is for a variety of reasons not least is they believe he speaks his mind – he doesn’t do political correctness.

Yes he looks unstoppable and remember Clinton is as disliked amongst Republicans and Trump is amongst democrats. He really could win the race for President

@MSP the world quite simply cannot turn its back on the single most powerful, wealthy and geo-politically important country. As for “Imperialism” Imagree with @dazh. Trump is all about American power and influence, what he’s said is he will not be the worlds policeman. So if we want to deal with Putin in Ukraine it will on our own backs. What he has very clearly said is he will “bomb the shit” out of IS which sounds more like the Russian approach – all oit to win

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You have to wonder at a country where Trump can apparently win 44% of the Hispanic vote???

You have to love the funnies that democracy throws up – good job we are not talking about an important role here 😯

slowoldman

they believe he speaks his mind

That’s the problem. What’s in his mind doesn’t make him fit to hold a serious political position (or the coat of someone who does). Luckily, all presidents have to wade through the quagmire of Senate and Congress, so, should the worse happen, he will probably find himself moderated or ignored.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Contacts in DC are surprisingly unfazed by the rise of Trump – the machine that is DC will, according to them, simply swallow him up.

I hope, if the nightmare scenario comes to pass, that they are correct

jambalaya
    Free Member

Try and catch Sky News piece on Trump in Nevada. There is a short comment from a black gentleman, I paraphrase

Politicians have caused the problems, we need a businessman in Washington to take care of business

@tmh, prior generation immigrants in the US legally have every reason to be worried about illegal immigrants undermining their wages amd discrediting them ? Why wouldn’t Hispanic voters support Trump’s comments on immigration controls on Muslims ? Just becuse we think Trump’s comments are outrageous doesn’t mean others do.

kimbers

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

egb81
    Free Member

Beyond the waterboarding and wall building, Trump doesn’t actually have any policies for make ‘merica great again, it’s all rhetoric and rabble rousing. It seems odd that no one has actually asked him how he plans to fulfill his wish.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep I hear he plays well with the idiots

“We won with the highly educated. We won with the poorly educated … I love the poorly educated.”

Along with the racists, homophobes, xenophobia, sexist’s and many more of the rank and file republican party.
    He’s playing a good game though, but like some conspiracy posters in here, contradict criticise or cast doubt and your part of the problem.
    Like many elections the left or the right have no influence, they will vote their side regardless it’s the middle who win it. How many won’t vote for the other one is more critical.
    I don’t think there is anyone who can imagine a Trump presidency is good for the world. The nut cases behind him in the polls seem to want to return the US to the dark ages on things like equality and discrimination.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Because he wants to deport 11 million of them?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@egb as a businessman and well know figure after 10+ years on the US version of the Apprentice the public identify him as a figure with the experience to focus on business issues and not politics. Innthe way the SNP and Corbyn try and place themselves as the anti-establishment candidate Trump does just the same thing.

@kimbers yup the Americans know he said that, thats partky why they are voting for him. Obamas universal healthcare policies have been very unpopular in the US, its a country where yiu can only claim unemployment benefits for 2 years. Its a different place politically, its a country made up of legal migrants who couod have been sent back from Ellis Island to where they came if they where sick, its a country with very different polotics than we have here.

Be in no doubt I thoughtbhe was unelectable but I can understand why he’s now the front runner and looks unstoppable

kimbers

Be in no doubt I thoughtbhe was unelectable but I can understand why he’s now the front runner and looks unstoppable

in the same way you thought it was a good idea to vote for corbyn?

dazh

@dazh what on earth makes you think is belief is unjustified. Trump has far more credibility with his supporters than do his opponents

It stands to reason that his supporters would think him more credible than his opponents.

its a country with very different polotics than we have here.

Yeah thanks for that. Like we hadn’t realised. Doesn’t make it any less worrying or scary though. The constitution’s checks and balances will hopefully restrict him but only domestically. He will still have control of the military and foreign policy.

egb81
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

@egb as a businessman and well know figure after 10+ years on the US version of the Apprentice the public identify him as a figure with the experience to focus on business issues and not politics. Innthe way the SNP and Corbyn try and place themselves as the anti-establishment candidate Trump does just the same thing.

I get that but not all Republicans are stupid. You’d think at some point someone would get bored with the bluster and destroy him with some detail.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They’ve tried the “detail” and failed. The detail he’s come up with has proven popular, an anti migrant wall paid for by Mexico and a ban on Muslims

in the same way you thought it was a good idea to vote for Corbyn

Different case, Corbyn was to be leader of the opposition and I wanted his far left agenda to be presented to tje electorate for their consideration. Trump I would not have supported no matter what. I am for Clinton

dazh

You’d think at some point someone would get bored with the bluster and destroy him with some detail.

Sadly Trump benefits from the same immunity from public and media interrogation as Boris Johnson. They could both be in power come christmas!

nickc

Trump has far more credibility with his supporters

I’d have thought even Trump’s ego might be dented if his supporters didn’t think he was credible…

Thing is, this is for the Republican ticket, so it looks like Trump has loads of support, latest one puts him at 35% of “the vote” but that registered Republican voters…In reality that’s about 8% of the population at large, and mostly means that Republicans haven’t made up their minds yet between him, Cruz and Rubio.

Sensationalist reporting is sensationalist shocker…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Corbyn was to be leader of the opposition and I wanted his far left agenda to be presented to tje electorate for their consideration.

That not the real reason you wanted him now is it you want to rejoice in his failure at doing this.

As for Trump he may well win the republican ticket but he has no chance of mustering a credible vote from folk likely to vote republican never mind getting the middle ground. He is the Farage of the US incredibly popular with those who think like him and a joke/scary/laughable to almost everyone else.

HIs brand of make america great, smite all our foes, whilst making them pay for it, is popular with some. Its also unrealistic,simplistic and borderline madness and everyone else can see why. Mexico wont be paying for a wall- why would they its madness to think this.

martinhutch

Mexico wont be paying for a wall- why would they its madness to think this.

God help the buffoon if he did get in. Would be amusing if he did just for the leaked recording of him trying this line with the Mexican president, and the ensuing howls of laughter.

MSP

Mexico wont be paying for a wall- why would they its madness to think this.

To keep all the US emigrants trying to escape the Trump regime out. Canada will do the same but demand the US build and pay for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘US Election’ is closed to new replies.