Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • US destinations advice sought..
  • gallowayboy

Hi, hoping for some help, based on experience, in sorting a destination for a bit of mountain biking in the US next summer.
    As part of a family trip, my 13yo son and I have the green light for a few days of perfect trails, perfect weather in a mid west/west location. Level wise, he’s better downhill than me, but he’s good for a reasonably big day as well – for instance In the last few months together we’ve done an Antur Stiniog day finishing on Black powder, Sligachan out and back and plenty of local days out in the South Pennines as well as trail centre trips.
    The destination must offer:
    Stuff for partner to do (walking, running ,swimming, cafes/bookshops)
    Not too hot (i’ve ruled out Moab as I’m not good with too much sunny heat)
    Options for bike hire and guiding
    Reasonably accessible.
    Be a bit more than a dusty logging/mining town or one horse trailhead.
    Done a fair bit of research so far,but it’s hard to get a feel for how things compare to UK biking – so far I’ve got Park City Utah as a possible; and no, we’re not going up to BC!
    Any constructive advice will be much appreciated…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just back from park city, moab and other spots. Lots of trails in Park but you start at about 1900m so get ready for the kick in the lungs. Bit pricey as it’s a posh ski town but some nice stuff to think you can ride the bobsleigh course from the winter Olympics. It’s also only about 40mins from slc airport.
    Moab was very very good though…

nemesis
    Free Member

A long time ago now but I spent a brilliant week and a bit in Vermont at Mount Snow and Killington (the latter was better then) which is driveable from NY or you can probably fly closer.

mattstreet

Sounds like you should be heading to Oregon.

Portland and surrounding area will fulfil all criteria – then head out up the Columbia to Bend and you’ll find plenty of biking trails.

vmgscot

Me and the GF did a 2.5 week mini biking trip this year taking in Crested Butte, Moab, Fruita, Golden… you might like Crested Butte. Trails are superb and it has the Evolution bike park if you/son want a bit of gnar. Very laid-back outdoorsy place so meets the wifey requirements you mentioned (although not sure about swimming – horse riding?). Lots of Café culture and a nice old-world high street (down in the town not the ski resort)

But Moab was our Fav… even the days driving to get there from CB was great sightseeing (stuff like Black Canyon, Cisco ghost town, scenic route into Moab).

gallowayboy

Thanks – Bend sounds promising; ale destination as well which ticks another box!

gallowayboy

Bump for those bored at work…….

antennae
    Free Member

Portland and surrounding area will fulfil all criteria

Yep! One amazing bookshop (Powells), and loads of great food trucks, craft beer, doughnuts and coffee. The Japanese garden is worth a visit too.

Special mention for Sandy Ridge trail system, which I thought was ace. About 1hr away by car I think.

Mt Hood, Oregon, USA

I’m also just back from Park City and heartily recommend the Mid Mountain trail along the valley to Canyons.

Would love to do Moab, Fruita and Crested Butte one day 🙂

mafiafish
    Free Member

Sorry for a momentary hijack – is the Midwest still bon bikes in late Feb or is the decent stuff above the snowline?

benpinnick

Bend is cool, and you can also do Portland, Canon Beach (and other beach areas) in the same trip too. The coastline there is amazing, although the sea is sooooo cold.

ps44
    Free Member

Based on recent trips, I’d add Sedona, Lake Tahoe, and Mammoth.

gallowayboy

Thanks for all your suggestions – so, Bend, Lake Tahoe, Crested Butte, Mammoth all look possible, Portland area likewise. Sedona looks fantastic, but like Moab may be too hot. Wherever, i guess i’m not taking my sealskins….
    Any more? Anybody used guides over there?

Shackleton

A bit on our Crested butte holiday from last year. Email me if you want any info.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/our-holiday-in-colorado

sweaman2
    Free Member

Sun valley Idaho might be worth a look. Not been but heard good things. Not sure how it stacks for non biking stuff but being a bit further North would be cooler than Moab etc.

gallowayboy

@ Shackleton – Cheers! good thread link.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘US destinations advice sought..’ is closed to new replies.