Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Urgent IT help needed as our guys are busy…
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Was working on a critical Word document last night and did a few hours on it.
    Opened it this morning and it says last modified 18 May 10:07!

I’m using Word 365 with autosave enabled. Surely there must be a backup somewhere?
    I’ve tried loads of Googled recommendations but so far nada.

Can somebody from STW save my arse?

TiA

PJay
    Free Member

Where’s the file that you’re looking at to check the Modified date?

I’m guessing, that Office 365 saves to OneDrive by default, but OneDrive files are usually also synced to the OneDrive folder on the local computer. I suppose that it’s possible that there’s been some sort of sync. error whereby the local copy is older that the OneDrive one, but it’s a bit of a stab in the dark.

If you go into OneDrive using a browser what state’s the file in on OneDrive?

— Edit —

Possibly something here that will help.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The file is in the same state on local and OneFile drives.
    I’ve raised as support ticket but it could be Monday and I need to work on this over the weekend.

Thanks for responding!

james-rennie

Not sure if relevant, but there was a national (maybe global?) issue with microsoft OneDrive and/or O365 reported yesterday. It affected lots of folk I work with.

PJay
    Free Member

Worth firing up Word and checking the “Recent Files” section of the file menu in case somewhere along the way you managed to alter the file name and created a new file for the more up to date version.

Failing that it might be worth searching for any autosave files (.asd) and seeing if there’s a more recent version there – https://shift.newco.co/2016/12/12/this-one-trick-will-mean-you-never-lose-an-unsaved-word-365-document-again/

paul_m

Where is says last modified time and date, click on the drop down and you can get the version history for the file. Is it the same device you are using to edit today as you used last night – It may not have synced

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s not synched as I did what you advised paul_m and the version history ends at 10:07 18 May.

Arse biscuits…

Thanks anyway chaps.

StirlingCrispin
      <li class=”TrT0Xe”>In <b>MS Word</b>, click the <b>File</b> Tab in the upper left.
      <li class=”TrT0Xe”>Click Manage <b>Document</b> and select <b>Recover Unsaved Documents</b> from the drop-down list.
      <li class=”TrT0Xe”>Check for your missing <b>file</b> in the dialog box. …

OneDrive will only show the file if it is synced – useless if it hasn’t but worth remembering.

Very large files will regularly fail to sync.

A docx file is a zip file. Open it with a zipfile extractor and you will see all the subfolders.

Over the years I have learnt to email the file to myself at the end of the day.

I also save a PDF locally (using a macro button). Don’t know why – but at it reassures me and takes a snapshot.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m using Word 365 with autosave enabled. Surely there must be a backup somewhere?

My daughter had exactly this a few months ago.

It’s gone (or was never even there) – sorry.

She’s gone back to Google Docs as that actually works.

ji
    Free Member

I just rename the file everytime I work on it so filename(001) filename (002) etc, or when I make large revisions. I had a bad experience with OneDrive when the PC crashed in the middle of an autosave one time (file corrupted irrecoverably) and another time when by mistake I cut rather than copied data – which then autosaved without me noticing for some days….

darthpunk
    Free Member

Maybe you’ve done what I did this morning. I uploaded to Teams an Excel file that I thought was the one I modified yesterday, turns out it was in a different folder and the file was named the same

Failing that, I concur that OneDrive and its “autosave” is a shower of something brown and I’ve stopped relying on it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Urgent IT help needed as our guys are busy…’ is closed to new replies.