Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • urgent chain splitting advice pls!!!!!!
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

ok so bought a park chain splitter and need to split the chain on a bike in the shed.my worry is the bike is a cheapo jap mtb and the links on the chain,well the pins look like they are sort of domed over? the links on my full sus which has a shimano hg73, the links on that are sort of flush and i would expect they will push out no problem.

so can i push the domed head ones out?there is no power link so how are these jointed/split???

cynic-al
    Free Member

Give it a go, WCS is you need a new chain.

Why are you splitting it?

oxym0r0n

Just push the pin out far enough to break the chain, then you should be able to reverse the tool round and push the pin back in again…

rootes1

<<Just push the pin out far enough to break the chain, then you should be able to reverse the tool round and push the pin back in again… >>

though this does nto work on sram chains

oxym0r0n

<<Just push the pin out far enough to break the chain, then you should be able to reverse the tool round and push the pin back in again… >>

though this does not work on sram chains

I've always done it on Shimano, Sram etc. chains without a problem

scaredypants

(surely too late, but …)

buy a powerlink & remove 1pr of outer plates from your chain – costs a couple of quid & makes cleaning/changing much easier

rootes1

oxym0r0n – Member

though this does not work on sram chains

I've always done it on Shimano, Sram etc. chains without a problem

yer works fine on shimano chains(using their special pin), but really should not rejoin sram 9 speeds by putting the std pins back in – but if it has worked for you good luck to you.

oxym0r0n

No "Shimano special pin" just the standard one & the standard SRAM one, KMC etc. Why should I not really be re-joining these chains? So Shimano can charge me £2 for a special one? Have not had a chain breakage for 10yrs – racing "4hr, 12hr XC etc.

I must be just lucky 😀

rootes1

<<I must be just lucky >>

you must be 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘urgent chain splitting advice pls!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.