Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Urban assault
  • Premier Icon hardtailonly

So, with the local trails full of muggles. And mud. I’m trying to think about some varied cycle routes.

Already have a great MTB option taking in several flights of steps through the University)

So, planning an urban CX type route along backstreets, ginnels, parks, cycle paths, cobbles etc, but also wondering about including a multi-storey car park for a hill-climb & descent type challenge.

Anyone done this? Legal? Or are we likely to get chased by the Rozzers (or at least car park security)?

Premier Icon curto80
    Free Member

I do this sometimes on my single speed. There’s a 7 storey car park with a nice view over the cathedral from the top. It’s not much of a workout though tbh.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Sheffield had some great bits for this – so much so they ran an urban DH a few years back iirc.

The best (of the few) races I have ever done was around Stirling on a ‘rat race’. We cycled around the castle, out to the Peak fitness centre etc. I won as I was confident at riding down steps or the few bits of singletrack across the parks etc, where others were walking or taking longer routes.

Premier Icon SirHC

Wednesday night winters rides are exactly this, minimal mud, maximum alleyways, never been bothered by the rozzers, security guards mostly.

Premier Icon Joe
    Free Member

Sounds awfully tedious.

Premier Icon thegeneralist

about including a multi-storey car park for a hill-climb & descent type challenge.

I posted about this a few weeks back. Got no response but went ahead anyway. Ended up at Gmex car park 2, which was closed off. Did some reps on the ramps there. Had a couple of security guards come out, who were very friendly, if confused, and made me promise to keep away from the outside barriers where the cameras were and then leave after a while.

There’s a 7 storey car park with a nice view over the cathedral from the top. It’s not much of a workout though tbh.

I guess that depends how many laps you do. I did fifty, which I estimated as around 1000hm, which got me tired enough.
    YMMV ( Oh how hysterical, DYSWIDT)

Premier Icon Blackflag

Before properly attempting the multi storey car park you will need to perform a ramp test.

Premier Icon fadda

You don’t means ginnels, you mean drangways.

Or jitties, according to ms fadda…

Premier Icon easily
    Free Member

are we likely to get chased by the Rozzers

That’s what makes it fun

Premier Icon submarined

I think you’ll find that Twittens are the things you’ll have to watch your bars on the walls of.

Riding street is a great way to brush up your skills when it’s super slick on the trails. Hops, gaps, drop offs – any decent sized settlement will have loads of features. Universities are especially good!. You’ll likely get pursued at some point, but that’s when you you use the knowledge and skills of that area that you’ve been practising 😉

But if you’re taking about using it to just ride up ramps – I’ll pass.

Premier Icon sirromj

Urban assault and CX bike no.

Unless you’re Chris Akrigg.

Take a leaf out of Sam Pilgrims book for how to do it properly.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Just one word. Snicket.

Premier Icon lunge

It’s the type of riding I spent much of my early 20’s at uni doing. No money to drive anywhere, no-where good close by so we rode loads of street. There was also a STW Birmingham street meet many years ago, it was great fun.

Police are normally fine, no issue at all.
    Over zealous security guards were more of a challenge but only if you spend to much time in one area. If you get told to move on then be polite and move in, there’s plenty of other stuff around.
    University campuses tend to have some interesting stuff to play on/.
    Not sure on CX bikes mind you, though I guess I was riding 2.1″ XC tyres at the time I did a lot of it, so what do I know?!

Premier Icon crazy-legs

There was also a STW Birmingham street meet many years ago, it was great fun.

@jedi
    (is he still on here??) organised a couple of street meets in London (in the very early days of STW). Somewhere there were some mental photos of the gap jumps he was doing, back in the days when he was well into North Shore type stuff.

I wish I’d done a bit more in and around Manchester during lockdown. The 2 or 3 rides I did through town were amazing, just completely deserted. I rode down streets I would never normally dream of cycling on, could hear birdsong and everything! Naturally it’s all gone back to gridlocked traffic now.

Premier Icon jedi
    Free Member

Yeah man I’m always here it’s my cyber home. Still ain’t grown up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.