Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)
  • Ur boy iz Saracen
  • Bregante

Outside the school gates with child number 2 this morning when I heard a mum shout to a younger child “Saracen, get back here now!”

That’s the oddest one I’ve heard in ages. Any others?

allthepies
    Free Member

Just watch that prison proggy on ITV (was on last night). All the loons have crazy names.

chakaping
    Free Member

😆

Probably a Gladiators fan in her youth and he has siblings called Wolf, Hunter (actually quite popular now) and Lightning.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

my brother was in the passport office in glasgow.
    there was a neddy type whose kids were called Maison and Antwanettey (think it was actually spelt like that, and was pronounced with a ‘netty’at the end)

apparently Maison is in some kids’ names books

‘bonjour, je m’appelle House…’

scruff
    Free Member

I ride past Lightning’s house most days.

anklebiter101
    Free Member

My sister is the practice manager for a dental surgery in the New Forest, and some of the christian names of the kids she has coming in these days are almost unbelievable.
    My 2 personal favourites of late have been Blade and Thor… 😀

vinnyeh
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Here are some of the gems from my son’s year 1 class.
    Bam
    Zayon
    Seven (girl)
    Draven

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vinny, NZ has a bit of a craze going on for silly names these days – http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/06/new-zealand-justice-baby-names

uselesshippy
    Free Member

When did it become acceptable to give your kid a dogs name?

chakaping
    Free Member

Bam

Sam Hill’s son is called Bam Hill.

🙂

Joe

I’m going to call my son Woody

toppers3933
    Free Member

My mother in law recently taught a kid called Jedi Starbuck.
    A friend of ours mother in law changed her christian name to Armani Versace.

Bigyinn I also know of a girl called seven.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Really, how bizarre, some sort Trekkie thing perhaps?

MadPierre

Bullys just get it handed to them on a plate these days….

toppers3933
    Free Member

Thats what i was thinking too. I dont think it is that bad as stupid names go. Bad enough not to use it mind you.

grievoustim
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=En-5YXRc14Y[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KLu-9Yxl3pk[/video]

loughor
    Free Member

I’m in Hong kong. A Chinese colleague asked me help him choose an English name, and phonetically from his Chinese name, Simon was a good choice. He came back from registration with his new identity card bearing the name Nomis.

toppers3933
    Free Member

edit.

Northwind

A friend decided to settle the argument of what to call their son by putting it out to internet poll of all their friends. We all voted for Megatron.

He is not called Megatron 🙁

duckman

Overheard in shop in rough part of Dundee…”Orlando-Storm! eh’ll boot yir ‘erse!

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m in Hong kong. A Chinese colleague asked me help him choose an English name, and phonetically from his Chinese name, Simon was a good choice. He came back from registration with his new identity card bearing the name Nomis.

Having grown up in Hong Kong, this reminds me of Rednaxela Road, which IIRC is in the Mid-Levels

andyl
    Free Member

scruff – Member
    I ride past Lightning’s house most days.

Whenever I think of the Gladiators I have an image n my head of the men sitting at home like Ben Stiller at the end of Dodge Ball. Dunno why.

bigyinn
    Free Member

headfirst – Member

Having grown up in Hong Kong, this reminds me of Rednaxela Road, which IIRC is in the Mid-Levels
    Is that because they read from R to L or something?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I live in a small rural town in Devon in which there are not one but two young chaps called Merlin. Make of that what you will…

Anyone read Freakonomics? There is an interesting chapter in that about baby’s names and the links with social mobility.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_dismal_science/2005/04/a_roshanda_by_any_other_name.single.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_dismal_science/2005/04/trading_up.html

RustySpanner

uselesshippy – Member

When people started giving their kids diminutive names instead of the full version:
    Ben, Sam, Charlie, Alex, Stacey, Millie, Ellie etc.

All perfectly good names for a Budgie or a Yorkshire Terrier, but not for a human.
    Give them the full name, for Christ’s sake – at least they’ll have a choice when they’re adults.
    Heard a woman calling her son Kenzo in Tesco last week.
    It’s a perfume apparantly.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve done a bit of research on popular baby names for work in recent years.

Amazingly there are something like five spellings of “Kayden” or “Jayden” above “Paul”.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I know someone called Santa and someone called Rudolf, both of whom come from eastern Europe, which kind of explains it, but still makes me 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Amazingly there are something like five spellings of “Kayden” or “Jayden”

Yeah, I was chuckling with the coach about my son’s football team – son is called Lydon, plus Lyle, Hayden, Kaeden, Kyle and er, Joe. 🙂

kayak23

A friend had a Shakira in her class… 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

son is called Lydon, plus Lyle, Hayden, Kaeden, Kyle and er, Joe

Any nobody just called Den any more! I suggested Dennis for our forthcoming nipper but wife wasn’t keen.

bencooper
    Free Member

I was named after the neighbour’s dog. So it’s not a new thing 😉

Bregante

Friends of mine had a dog called Chloe which was knocked down and killed. Several years later they had a daughter which they also christened Chloe, which I’ve always thought very odd.

bencooper
    Free Member

Are they Buddhist?

Bregante

Nope.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I live in a small rural town in Devon in which there are not one but two young chaps called Merlin. Make of that what you will…

You live in or near Totnes?

joao3v16
    Free Member

We named our 2yo Luca.

I wanted to give him ‘Skywalker’ for a middle name but HRH didn’t see the funny side.

None of our 6yo’s school friends have unusual names, although for some reason my wife gave our 6yo two middle names – ‘August’ (no idea why), and ‘Cameron’ (from BBC news report on David Cameron) 😕

bencooper
    Free Member

I wanted to name our daughter Minnie.

I was overruled.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

When people started giving their kids diminutive names instead of the full version:
    Ben, Sam, Charlie, Alex, Stacey, Millie, Ellie etc.
    Why give your child a name that will never be their true name. How many children these days will be called Charles, Samuel or Alexander? I see no need to burden my son with a name that is from the past. I do take exception to made up or bastardised names that are chosen just to make their child’s name sound unique (and often stupid).
    Although there should be more children called Dave. When was the last time you heard a parent shout for Dave or David?

RustySpanner

bigyinn – Member
    Why give your child a name that will never be their true name. How many children these days will be called Charles, Samuel or Alexander?

Because you give them the choice.
    Using the diminutive as the given name is just selfish and infantilising.
    (In my opinion, of course 😀 )

Call the kid by the diminutive if you like, but give them the choice of an adults name as well as a childish one.

I see no need to burden my son with a name that is from the past.

But all the diminutive forms of the names I quoted are just as old as the full versions.
    So you’re still using a ‘name that is from the past’.

I do take exception to made up or bastardised names that are chosen just to make their child’s name sound unique (and often stupid).

Well, all names are made up at some point, aren’t they?

Although there should be more children called Dave. When was the last time you heard a parent shout for Dave or David?

I’m with you on that one though. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Ur boy iz Saracen’ is closed to new replies.