Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • UR BIK IS SARACING
  • chakaping
    Free Member

That looks great.

Would be cool if they bought back the kili as a steel 29er trail HT with progressive geo.

Not with super boost though, obvs.

dogbone

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cf4X6o]IMG_0451[/url] by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr

Aidy
    Free Member

I thought it was the MBUK forum?

I’m fairly sure it was the MBUK forum too

Poopscoop

I’m not in the market for one but I wouldn’t say no to one.

That said, I’m 52 and not as fashion led as the market they are perhaps chasing.

bikesandboots

Ariel 30 Reach figures make me think size down – 455mm on a small, 480mm on a medium.

22mm width rims, 25mm on the Pro version.

sillyoldman

That would make sense with STA around 74deg, but these have 76+deg seat tube angles at ride height, so what looks long doesn’t feel it.

scruff
    Free Member

Im sure it was MBUK. Can anyone find the MBUK Forumizer?

matt_outandabout

Good bikes. I would consider one.

I need to know they’ve sorted the dodgy alignment/bushing/bearing issue of a couple of years ago.

sillyoldman

No bushings since the last Ariel redesign in 2018.

crazy-legs

In the 90s Saracen never wowed in the MBUK/MBR group tests nor became the local rider’s favourite. GT, Kona, Orange, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Pro Flex, Scott, Trek etc were the staple choice.

Into the 00s they seemed to head into obscurity.

They did actually get good reviews on the occasions that they appeared in the mags. When I was doing my initial research for buying my first MTB and was reading MBUK, they were well thought of (this was early 90’s).

I bought a Saracen Sahara Elite from Edwardes in Camberwell and then a few years later (and again after seeing a top notch review in MTB Pro), I bought a Saracen Kili Ultra – the full titanium one – via Evans (actually direct from Saracen, they did a custom build deal on it where they built it with the groupset and parts from the next bike down so XT instead of XTR cos I was a poor student).

The following year, the Ti was only available with sus forks so the one I had was the last of the straight blade rigid Ti forks.

And then from about 2001 onwards they just went to a BSO brand. Heavy cheap “full sus”, snazzy graphics etc to appeal to the early-teenage rider. It was a long haul back from those years of being cheap and crap.

I quite like the look of those new bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Personally I don’t see the brand as tarnished by the BSO years particularly, though the “Ur bike is saracin” is always mildly amusing.

As others have said, they’ve just made some odd product choices and been a bit overpriced in recent years. Would be really pleased to see them do well with these bikes.

5lab

That would make sense with STA around 74deg, but these have 76+deg seat tube angles at ride height, so what looks long doesn’t feel it.

exactly. I’ve ordered a large (505 reach) – the ett length is the same as my current hardtail (large dartmoor hornet – only 450 reach) due to the much steeper seat tube. I guess with my hips rotated further forwards (due to feet being further back) it might actually make it feel shorter when seated..

It’ll be interesting to see how differently it rides.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The norglide bushing issue could be solved with some PTFE tape in the right place. Essentially, although no-one has ever admitted this this to me, I think the tolerances were not quite right, leading to accelerated wear. I was getting through bushes crazy fast, then tried some PTFE tape around the press-fit side, which slightly narrowed the ID when fitted. Suddenly everything lasted fine…

chestrockwell

They did actually get good reviews on the occasions that they appeared in the mags. When I was doing my initial research for buying my first MTB and was reading MBUK, they were well thought of (this was early 90’s).

I bought a Saracen Sahara Elite

Yeah, they seemed to rarely be reviewed 89/91 and although competitively spec’d and priced they were heavy, then chased fashion (E-Stay, wacky colours) in 1991 rather than better geometry and lighter weight. The 1992 bikes changed that though, especially the lower end with much more reserved colours/decals, weight shaved and positive reviews (Tufftrax and Traverse from memory, maybe Sahara too…). They went early with suspension too, fitting it to all ‘Elite’ bikes in 1993. They were players back then for sure and took chances. As for popularity, check out ebay for the amount of 92-95 bikes that still com up.

DezB
    Free Member

I seem to remember Chipps having a thing for the recent full suss Kili Flyer (didn’t he have it as he own bike for a while?)
    http://www.drovercycles.co.uk/saracen-kili-flyer-gets-the-thumbs-up-from-singletrack-mag/
    oh yeah
    http://singletrackworld.com/magarchive/issue-107/
    I demo’ed one back-to-back with the Ariel and it was pretty good. The Ariel was a terrible climber.

I wonder if they’ll use a bit of imagination and come up with NEW names for the new bikes?!
    Kili isn’t even that great a name but they’ve used to for alu hardtails, steel hardtails, carbon full sussers, old ones, new ones..

chakaping
    Free Member

Kili isn’t even that great a name but they’ve used to for alu hardtails, steel hardtails, carbon full sussers, old ones, new ones..

Yeah, but it only really applies to steel HTs.

😉

As for popularity, check out ebay for the amount of 92-95 bikes that still com up.

That may also be related to durability. My old Kili was really sturdy and reliable compared to the lighter, racier steel HT I bought in the ’90s.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a Kili Flyer 123 in this colour but with newer drivetrain and XT wheels. I didn’t realise how old it was. It might be time for an upgrade, but I still enjoy riding it. 120mm is more than enough for the kind of wheels on the ground riding I do.

tomparkin

Benji used to love his.

Depending on the Benji you have in mind, it may even be the self-same Ariel 🙂

sillyoldman

I thought that might be the case. Tell him he’s missed – by me at least!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘UR BIK IS SARACING’ is closed to new replies.