Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • uPVC installer advice please
  • matt_outandabout

A dark blue Virtuoso door on dark blue 70mm Duraflex frame and side panel is winging it’s way to oab_towers.

We’ve ordered via a trade place and a neighbour is fitting with us.

The fitter is saying to order two lengths of textured trim (we’ve 60mm at head to bridge) and he spray paints to the matching colour. Is this right – do they just paint door and frame? If so, would the manufacturer not just regularly supply a few trim pieces?

Where can I get dark blue sealant? – this is only for the head of the door trim, the rest will either be clear of black or dark grey.

matt_outandabout

Morning bump.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I might be wrong here but I think that all UPVC is white with a coloured film applied if required.
    (kinda makes sense…. I can’t image upvc manufacturers producing all the colourways available) We renovated a little house and installed grey windows from a fairly big trade supplier – the grey was a wrap and they supplied a touch up pot to fix scratches.

If this is the case take care with your blue door as the white may show through if it’s scratched.

The fitter is saying to order two lengths of textured trim (we’ve 60mm at head to bridge)

Got to ask…. why didn’t you get a door/frame made to fit the opening?

Re the sealant, I think I’d go with the dark grey….. no-one looks at the top of the door frame anyway!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Re the paint thing. Friends of mine have just had all their UPVC windows painted anthracite grey. They were sprayed and look great. Evidently there is a zinniser product that’s good but the sprayer said there was another product that lasts even longer but not cheap at £40/L which they went with.
    Any decent DIY shop should have frame sealant in different colours.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Various colours of mainframe are extruded these days. You can pretty much choose foil in any colour though. I’ve seen trims, weeps, end caps all sprayed before. It’s no biggy.

matt_outandabout

Got to ask…. why didn’t you get a door/frame made to fit the opening?

The door is Max height they make – it’s oddball 1970’s semi.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Did nobody suggest adding a fanlight?

matt_outandabout

fanlight

It’s only 5.5cm of height.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d be getting some mainframe knockon, 60mm is a fair gap to fill. As an aside couldn’t you have reduced the door height to increase the fan light? What is the height btw?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘uPVC installer advice please’ is closed to new replies.