Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Upside down buttered toast – Is this really a thing ?
  • dyna-ti

Apparently some people prefer to eat toast with the butter side inverted. Some nonsense about the butter is tasted on the tongue not the roof of the mouth.

Should it really matter ?, And won’t the butter just drip onto your new jumper 😕

They’ll be cutting the crusts off next 😮

qwerty
    Free Member

Is it an Australian cuisine?

thols2

Edit. Damn. Beaten to it by 2 seconds.

thols2

Turns out to be some guy’s Ph.D. thesis.

kayak23

It could be.
    I always have toast under beans.

reeksy

Is it an Australian cuisine?

Really, this is uncalled for.

…You don’t want to know where they think you lot hide your money.

timba
    Free Member

It’s practical, innit? It’ll always land butter-side up, ready for re-use

reeksy

Pretty sure Brian Clough had a special knife to butter both sides

oceanskipper

It’s practical, innit? It’ll always land butter-side up, ready for re-use

Buttered cat array….

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet. And when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. Therefore if buttered toast is strapped to the back of a cat, the two will hover, spinning, inches above the ground.

natrix
    Free Member

A study at Manchester Metropolitan University involving dropping 100 slices under laboratory conditions established that toast typically lands on the floor butter-side-down as a result of the manner in which it is typically dropped from a table, and the aerodynamic drag caused by the air pockets within the bread. The toast is typically butter-side-up when dropped. As it falls, it rotates; given the typical speed of rotation and the typical height of a table, a slice of toast that began butter-side-up on the table lands butter-side-down on the floor in 81% of cases

thepurist

I’m sorry Bongo, I’m strictly butter side up.

dave_h
    Free Member

Eat it however you like it, I guess there’s a logic in having the butter hit your tongue but you run the risk of greasy drips if you’ve got lashings of butter on your toast.

Poopscoop

Best to layer up imo.

First layer just soaks into the bread. Then put a disgustingly thick layer on top of the sacrificial layer, it won’t soak in. Scrumptious.

blokeuptheroad

Pretty sure Brian Clough had a special knife to butter both sides

Buttering toast on both sides you say? 🤔 Why have I never considered that, given that the toast is largely a substrate whose purpose is to convey as much butter as possible into my grinner?  Genius!

ossify

I guess there’s a logic in having the butter hit your tongue but you run the risk of greasy drips if you’ve got lashings of butter on your toast.

… And if you don’t have, then you’re a wrong ‘un anyway so who cares about them and their faulty logic?

Buttering toast on both sides you say? 🤔 Why have I never considered that, given that the toast is largely a substrate whose purpose is to convey as much butter as possible into my grinner?

But there is a limit. Tons of butter on toast is great but once you get into buttering both sides territory then you might as well just skip the toast and shovel butter into your mouth. There’s a fine line between buttery heaven and a greasy monstrosity.

easily
    Free Member

then you might as well just skip the toast and shovel butter into your mouth

OK.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, they do put the chocolate on the bottom of digestives

stumpy01

Never really thought about this, but my daughter used to regularly eat her toast ‘upside down’.
    Whenever I asked her why she said it tasted better that way.

thols2

If you put the butter on the bottom and the Marmite on the top, they can both soak into the toast without mixing.

cerrado-tu-ruido

Butter both sides, heaven, but I only eat toast occasionally.

blokeuptheroad

they can both soak into the toast without mixing.

You say that like the mixing is a bad thing??

thols2

You say that like the mixing is a bad thing??

If they were intended to be mixed, then Marmite would have butter already mixed in it.

reeksy

Butter it on top and eat it upside down.

blokeuptheroad

Nah. By that logic you’d be buying premixed jam and clotted cream for scones!

ads678

There’s a cafe in Mount sorrel nr Loughborough that has marmite butter.

lister

I think I read a fictional story based on the Dunkirk small ships that mentioned that it was government advice during the war to eat food like that upside down to get more taste.
    Might be true 🤷‍♀️

Cougar

I’m sorry Bongo, I’m strictly butter side up.

I for one enjoyed this reference.

woodster

Well, they do put the chocolate on the bottom of digestives

They still have to be eaten chocolate facing up. I think I’m so used to the dry part being on my tongue that any taste benefit would be counteracted by the unease in my soul.

Next you’ll be telling me to invert my cheesecake.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.