• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • uprated gas struts on T5… anyone got them?
  • alpin
    Free Member

does anyone have the uprated gas struts installed? you know, the ones that mean the tailgate will stay up with the bikes on the rack…..

basically, this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l_FvVEpzng[/video]

my only worry is that even with my fighting weight of 76kg i won’t be able to close the tailgate if the bikes are not on there.

any experience?

(these are what I’m looking at on the ‘bay)

yiman
    Free Member

I have uprated ones on my T4. They make it “quite” hard to close un-laden, but pretty easy when you’ve got bikes on the rack.

But given that even at 76kg you weigh more than the load of the bikes, it shouldn’t be unsurmountable for you to close it un-laden.

gixernick

I had them when I had a tailgate 4 bike rack, they were quite fierce with no bikes on the rack and really fierce when the rack was off. It would open the boot with bikes on though. I may still have them somewhere, tried them on ebay without joy, but may have chucked them away in a garage clearout.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

thanks for the replies….

think i’ll go for it. old struts struggle to hold the tailgate with empty rack when it is cold. besides, it’ll life easier; if i want a shower i don’t have to take the bikes off the rack.

if it is too much to pull down i can always let a little air out.

rickmeister

Plan b, telescopic broom handle as a prop when the tailgate is open.
    Edeka usually have them… Stash it in the van.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, a prop would be far less hassle/cost

squealer
    Free Member

They come as standard on the California.

Mine seems fine to close, not too much force needed. Might be worth seeing how much the oe ones are from vw?

alpin
    Free Member

Have also considered that, Rick, but I’ve enough crap in the van as it is.
    😆

I’m very doubtful VW are going to be cheaper than £50….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The gas struts from vw are about £100 each. I didn’t bother. You can get them off ebay for about £20, but not sure if they are proper ones or not.

Spud

Yes, upgraded on our Caravelle. Got them from a place in Derby (http://www.sgs-engineering.com/), they will also re-gas them should the time comes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘uprated gas struts on T5… anyone got them?’ is closed to new replies.