Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Uploading a docx file to Google drive
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have now Word on my laptop, this is causing issues as I have a job application to do and I want to do so on Google drive, which won’t upload it without ****ing up the formating (tables with different sections of 1 column then 5 columns etc)

I’ve tried saving it from Wordpad, which only introduced a few correctable errors: Drive can’t open that.

I’ve downloaded LibreOffice which opens it mostly OK but files then have errors when uploaded into Drive.

Any thoughts?

irelanst
    Free Member

Is there any reason you are tied in with Google drive? If you set up a Skydrive account there is better office integration so the file should be relatively unchanged once uploaded.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

try saving as .doc (word 2003) instead

cynic-al
    Free Member

Googling the issue indicates that Google’s conversion isn’t up to the job.

Here’s a link to the file if anyone fancies a go:

http://www.gtcs.org.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.aspx?lID=1582&sID=6693

If that doesn’t work, it’s the first application form on this page:

http://www.gtcs.org.uk/vacancies?utm_source=Newsletters&utm_campaign=84c4255a53-SLN_17_09_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1eedb22a32-84c4255a53-65417349

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mike – error on upload.

Irelanst – will look at that, ta.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whooh hooh!

*gets typing*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just tried it and the same result, if only we could have a standard open document standard…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ahhh ****

I can’t edit it in Skydrive – contains unsupported objects.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

going back to the first post….
    Why not use word on your laptop?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t have it, and I want to edit the doc on other machines, like at work, I also need to email it.

EDIT Though yeah the 1 month trial might work.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t have it

Excuse the confusion..

I have now Word on my laptop

Any luck with Open Office it tends to play a little better but if you are having problems with 2 MS products then you may struggle.

95% of stuff ends up fine in Google for me so sounds like a bad doc creation.

lamest tech response ever here (having looked at the form which is mostly Info A in to Box A)…. print it out write it by hand to get all the info sorted then type it up quick

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah I see my OP error.

I don’t have time to hand write it out, I need to cut and paste and type only.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Ah I see my OP error.

I don’t have time to hand write it out, I need to cut and paste and type only.
    Ok then – practical IT Advice time –
    Close STW
    Type the answers to the questions in a new doc and find something with word to do the arranging on, anything else will take longer and not guaranteed to succeed.
    Office 365 free trial took an age to setup for me and was rubbish anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

al – google docs wont support merged cells in tables. Merged cells should be banned anyway IMO 🙂

converting the original docx document into a rich text format (rtf) and then uploading it to google and allowing google to convert it to google docs seems to work better than just going to google docs directly from docx but the merged cell issue is still there – although it’s easier to tidy it up.

anyway, Ive shared the docx>rtf>google docs version with you (you should get an email) and you may be able to tidy it up.

And when you send it off to gtc, point out to them their stupidity on not checking their application form in open document formats first. They’ll appreciate the honesty and give you the job straight away 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Uploading a docx file to Google drive’ is closed to new replies.