Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Upgrading road discs
  • Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

I’ve got a Giant Defy with TRP Spyre cable discs.

They were a noticeable improvement on the cantis I had on my previous bike but over the last month they’ve deteriorated and then the rear locked on during a ride. Seems like it’s a common problem, as the cable opening at the calliper end faces upwards, so water tracks in and pools in the cable loop where it either freezes or rusts the cable.

I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading to hydros? The current 105 stuff looks excellent, although annoyingly I’d also need two mtb callipers because my frame is post mount not flat mount.

Has anyone upgraded from cable discs to hydros? Worth it (£350ish)?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I’ve just moved from BB7s to hydro.

My BB7s were really good. Compressionless outer helps – a lot. I also had them set up with pads close to the rotor. However, this was also their downfall. I have three wheelsets for that bike, swapping them over fairly regularly. Small differences in hub width meant I spent more time adjusting brakes than I desired. The Shimano hydro I’ve fitted are much more tolerant of hub width so I spend less time setting them up.

I’d say the hydros are definitely better in use, but not hugely so.

Edit: my upgrade also included going from 3×10 to 2×11. I bought some second hand STIs and calipers which helped with the cost.

damascus

I’ve had bb5s, bb7s, spyres and shimano hydraulic on road bikes.

When set up properly I’ve not wished for more braking power, I’ve always thought I had enough. That includes touring with luggage.

I’m now running shimano drops with xt calipers and I wouldn’t go back. Not because I find them far superior but because they are fit and forget.

Cable discs always needed managing. If you left it too long one side would push too far and warp the disc so you had to keep on top of them. Also commuting I found the cables and outers needed changing every now and then. Doing it properly with perfectly cut straight edges takes time to do right.

I’ve been using hydraulic brakes on my road bike for over 3 years. Just put a new set of pads in recently just because I had a big ride coming up.

Hydraulics for me just work really well and I don’t suffer from disc rub like some do.

Once you’ve used hydraulic for some time you wouldn’t go back. The only downside is obviously the cost.

It might be worth considering buying a bike in the sales, strip the parts you want and flog the rest?

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

It might be worth considering buying a bike in the sales, strip the parts you want and flog the rest?

tbh I’m just considering buying a new bike in the sales!

Changing cables is fine (20min job) but changing the outers is a right pita because of having to redo the bar tape. Probably my fault for not changing the outers sooner.

but because they are fit and forget

Yea this really appeals. I’m riding with a group now so stopping to faff mid-ride is much more awkward. Haven’t touched my mtb hydros for 2 years except for a post-alps bleed, whereas the cable discs seemingly need weekly faffage.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

TBH my BB7s just never saw/needed that amount of intervention. I’d have to wind the pad adjusters in according to use (not much on the road) but otherwise I could leave them alone.

Premier Icon gecko76
    Subscriber

Middleburn cable oilers would allow you to replace most of the cable outer except for leaving the bit under the bar tape.

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

changing the outers is a right pita because of having to redo the bar tape.

Really? Just buy yourself tape without glue, with silicone strip instead. I was re-taping my handlebars just last Saturday. 15 minutes job including cuppa…

Spyres with TRP compressionless outer are ace.

Cheers!
    I.

tpbiker

I’ve had spyres, the trp semi hydro hy/rd, and 2 sets of shimano full hydros.

The spyres were distinctly average, and way worse than a full hydro. The hy/rd’s however are ace, maybe not quite as powerful as a full set of hydros but I actually prefer the feel. And they don’t rub constantly..

Got them for 50 quid an end at decathlon.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

@ricb

I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading to hydros? The current 105 stuff looks excellent, although annoyingly I’d also need two mtb callipers because my frame is post mount not flat mount.

I’m actually selling 2 brand new post mount br-r785 hydraulic callipers with hoses on eBay at the moment…..they’re the road version of the equivalent mtb post mount callipers. They came with some di2 shifters I bought from CRC (I’m gradually looking to buy all the di2 bits when I see them on offer) but I already have hydraulic callipers on my existing 105 level mechanical shifters.

Hydraulics are definitely better than mechanical discs – so far mine have been maintenance free over 2 years. I commute a fair amount on them yet I’m still on the original pads and no bleeding has been required.

Went exacrlt as you did from TRP to 105 hydro – admittedly on different bikes. NIGHT AND DAY difference. 105 has easily as much power and modulation as I am used to on a MTB. The Spyre’s suffered in the wet – most commutes. 105 not an issue at all.

Go for it

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

Thanks all – sounds like there isn’t a massive amount of difference between cable and hydro discs when both new and setup well but hydros maintain their performance much longer, whereas cable performance drops off without regular maintenance.

Really? Just buy yourself tape without glue, with silicone strip instead. I was re-taping my handlebars just last Saturday. 15 minutes job including cuppa…

Never knew such stuff existed – thanks! Still quite new to ‘proper’ road biking. Would the lizard skins 2.5 DSP stuff fit the bill?

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

I’m actually selling 2 brand new post mount br-r785 hydraulic callipers with hoses on eBay at the moment…..they’re the road version of the equivalent mtb post mount callipers.

Can you drop me a PM with some details please?

belugabob

My friend went through the same dilemma with his defy.
    After considering various (expensive) options, we collectively arrived at a solution…

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giant_conduct_hydraulic_disc_brake_upgrade_kit-ID_76551&sv_source=google&sv_medium=cpc&sv_campaign=%5Bcampaign_name%5D&sv_term=%5Bkeyword%5D?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyp7yBRCwARIsABfQsnTTz_KgTzdZqYTX93RTS-waUhW3GDvKvScJgf7hceKjMO0MfxESJeoaAjIfEALw_wcB

He is very happy With them

Premier Icon mikeyp
    Subscriber

Upgraded to hydros from the same recently. A lot better. Bought a full ultegra group set and then sold the flat mount calipers for £80 on eBay. The Deore calipers I bought aren’t as pretty but the pads will be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Premier Icon gecko76
    Subscriber

The Conduct system works well as an upgrade, and you can decide whether you want 9,10,11 or 12 speed at a later date.

smiffy

Night and Day.

Fit and forget.

Do it.

I bought a discounted groupset, took the brake bits and chain out and got a chunk of my money back on eBay for the rest of the set plus my used STI and CX70 calipers (these get snapped up as they were among the least-worst cable calipers). bang for buck it felt like the best value upgrade I ever made.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

105 Hydros are absolutely superb, I can’t see how they could be any better.

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

I had Avid Bb7 and hated them, could never get them set up correctly. The Shimano cable discs were significantly better in my experience. Replaced the bb7 with Juin Tech cable hydro, less faff but not perfect. Finally got Shimano Rs685, simply superb. Loads of nicely modulated power and they just work. I got mine from eBay for just over £200 from memory (no rotors)

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

We’ve cheaper Claris with side entry cable. This means changing the inner and outer is a really quick job when the cable becomes sticky.

I’ve not wanted more power from our TRP spyres when set up well (and they are easy to set up well), particularly with some Uberbike kevlar pads in…

damascus

When you re do your cable brakes add one of these just after they come out of the bar tape. (or similar) but for brakes not gears.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333130693899

Then when you replace the outers in future you don’t have to mess with the cables under the bar tape

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.